PDA

View Full Version : Another COLD day here!

Monique
December 28th, 2017, 08:27 AM

Good morning everyone. It's another bitterly cold day again today. And yes I have to work. And yes, I was cold. Picture this: sitting between two heaters, two heavy sweaters plus winter coat, two pairs of socks and winter boots, long john's too, with an electric blanket around me. That's how I was dressed to work. Today I am taking a micro-furnace with me to work. I know it is ridiculous but you know the old motto: neither rain nor snow nor sleet or hail shall stop me from delivering the mail. So needless to say I didn't do anything but keep warm.

Today is more of the same. But today Phil and Maizyn are coming so it gives me that to look forward to. And then tonight they will open their gifts.

Well that's it for me friends. I hate all of you who are in warmer temperatures:icon_razz: :icon_wave:hahaha. No I don't hate you just envy you.

Have a great day everyone.

mischiefkat
December 28th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Good Morning Monique and all to come,
I'm one of those you hate/envy. The temp here is about 58 degrees. I remember having to dress like that.
It was a long walk to the bus stop on winter mornings in northern Ill....then standing with your back against the wind waiting for the bus that might come.Brrrr
I am up way earlier this am like 3:30. I hate that when it happens. I have the first load of laundry washed & folded one more to go.
Have been puttering around the house last few days cleaning up those messes I made getting ready for Christmas. Did a little after Christmas bargain shopping.
Going to sandwich a crib quilt today and see about getting it finished. Not much else going on.
Stay warm everyone who has to go out in the cold. Monique, enjoy your DS&DGD. Hugs & prayers to all. Kathy

Ginny B
December 28th, 2017, 09:34 AM
Good morning and Brrrrr. Not as brrrr as you have Monique but I woke up to a real feel temp of 1! Please stay warm again today at work.

Yesterday's day home did help me feel less tired. I do have a doctor appointment this afternoon so I'll be back on the thyroid meds within a day or so and hopefully that will help me feel a bit better. I also need to talk to him about a recent thing that keeps happening.... I keep dropping things. They will be in my hand and then poof, on the floor. It's like I don't have the ability to feel my grip. I am thinking it might be related to the arthritis but want to talk to him about it anyway.

OK, off to get some warm clothes ready. Keep warm all and have a great Thursday.

Star lover
December 28th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Mornin all........not to those who are above freezing! Kidding....I think.....guess it's warm envy....sigh.

We are below zero and will never see 20' in ........who knows how long. (If the weather gurus are right, and all I can see, below 20's into mid-January). Well, at least we had sun yesterday.....small consolation....... very small.....some day I will warm up......some day!

Oh Monique, your toon gave me a laugh.....then I thought of you all bundled up and sooooo cold. I sure hope you have enough to keep comfortable! Soooooo HAPPY for you....Maizyn Day is here! Yeah! So very happy for you! Enjoy!

Thinking and praying for those who are suffering....so many....love and hugs!

Monique
December 28th, 2017, 09:41 AM
I really do LOVE you all, you know.

Star lover
December 28th, 2017, 09:43 AM
I really do LOVE you all, you know.

I do too! ❤️❤️❤️❤️ One and all!!!

....but I am cold.....and dream of warm days filled with sun and not 4-.....layers of cloths, coats, scarfs, hats, cloths, mittens, hats..............it's going to happen! In 3-4 months.....

JCY
December 28th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Good morning ~ What a difference a day makes! After yesterday's morning low of 6 deg., we got a Chinook wind, a snow eater. It warmed up to 56 deg.! A lot of snow melted, but there's more yet to go. It's 44 deg. this a.m. It may be close to 60 today & tomorrow, then another cold front is headed our way. It's supposed to be very cold for New Years.

I had a productive afternoon in the sewing room yest. I finished sewing all the blocks together with sashing, etc. & got the top almost done except for 2 sides of the narrow border. I'll probably add a wider border to that.

This is all I have time for now. DH needs his breakfast. Stay warm, folks.

Cathy F
December 28th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Good morning all,
Cold here this morning, temp reading 17 degrees, not as cold as some around the country but definitely cold on these ole bones!

Yesterday was still dragging my tail feathers from Christmas day, was asleep by 8 last night. No plans to leave the house today, may start some clean up of the sewing room, and will definitely spend some time by the fireplace.

Going to give some thought for my sewing goals this year and try to match them up to fabric already in my stash. I need to use more of it instead of buying. I also need to finish a few more UFO's that I didn't get to this year.

Well, wishing everyone a good day, keep warm in this frigid weather. I'm off to refill my coffee cup!

Sheep Farmer
December 28th, 2017, 11:05 AM
Mornin' everyone.
I'm visiting my daughter in PA this week. Cold here, too.
Temps in the teens. I dressed warm. Bad hair days cuz I'm wearing my warm winter hat. But, oh well.
Temps are probably not much warmer at home. I have someone taking care of the farm while I'm away. Sucks to be them. LOL
I'm expecting one of my sheep to have her babies any day now. I'm hoping for twins -two girls. :icon_bigsmile:

TMP
December 28th, 2017, 11:11 AM
Its cold here also in Alabama. Christmas is over and I am ready for spring! My old bones hate the cold. Walked out side to let Sandy out and I got a faint smell of gas. I am waiting for my daughter to come over and bring grandbabies and I see if she can smell it also and call the gas company.
Crazy store ... My daughter had to work the 23rd and that was the day they have Santa on the roof down the road from us. He is connected to his son on the ground and each child walks up he calls them by name and tells them what they want . Kids go crazy over this. Well since DD couldn't go it was me my Son n law and the grand kids. Five year old GS goes first and Santa says John Avery you have been good this year and I will bring you the paw patrol things you want. Now its time for Granddaughter I cant hear what My Son n law is saying to the guy on the ground. Santa says Kaylee keep being good and I will bring you the puppy you want. Little background here .......He hates dogs and wouldn't even consider a dog of any kind. ( I know poor kids)
Son n Law looks at me and says I messed up! Kaylee is texting her mom and is so happy what Santa is bring her. Son n law is about to have the big one. Big Big family argument . ( I stayed out of it) long story short santa leaves a letter that its too cold on the sled for puppies this year and that the entire family can go adopt one. They went the day after Christmas and I want you to meet our newest family member 4 month old Duke. You cant see it but he has one blue and one brown eye. We have no idea what kind of puppy he is. He sure is calmer than my lab! BTW son n law loves him !148954148955

KPH
December 28th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Good Morning All,

It's dreary gray here today, the recycling truck has already come and gone. Our neighbor's recycling bin was over flowing, so we offered ours to them. Ours didn't have enough in it to really make it worth while to even take it out, but they only come every other week, so we take it out anyway. At least someone will think we had a big Christmas, lol, as if I care.

DH and I went on a shopping spree yesterday. lol, well, a it's 75% off, let's get started on next year's Christmas now spree. I picked up fabric for Bowl Cozies for DIL's family gifts. Nana and Nandy will have gingerbread fabric, Mom and Dad will have a red and white print. When I got that home, and looked at the selvage I was so surprised. It is a Susan Winget print. Small world, Susan Winget is a former charter parent of the magnet school I worked at for so many years! She always made sure the PTO had plenty of stationary and calendar stuff for the staff! I still have a few special notepads that I've kept for 'special' (that's a habit I learned from Grandma Mac that I really need to get over!). I think I'll dig one of those pads out and write a note explaining how I know the artist.

Anyway, the lists have been started. Everyone's ornament has been bought and is already wrapped and tagged. DH is getting one storage box out and starting the Christmas box for next year. This year, with the move, we weren't able to gather through the year, and the last minute dash about drove me over the edge. I'm determined I'm going to do my hunting and gathering through the year, of course the finding fabric for quilts that will look great in my son's room is apparently going to take the longest. They both picked weird colors, pretty but slightly off to find fabric that will highlight the headboard wall color.

Today, I'm going to start looking at patterns. Maybe if I can figure out what pattern I want to do...I might have to just break down and forget about using precuts and pick my own selection. That means a trip or two to some fabric shops on the other side of town.

Prayers for those in need, for healing and recuperation.

Have a wonderful creative day! I think I'll be stitching some more hexies today!

RiverMomm
December 28th, 2017, 11:28 AM
Oh man, Monique, it IS cold! The highs won't go above zero F for the next week. Wow.

Wishing warm thoughts to all. :)

MissMay
December 28th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Freezing here also but I don't plan to go outside, just staying warm indoors and enjoying DS#3 and kids visiting from MA. Haven't seen DGS Ben (!7) in awhile and he now has long flowing hair with some coloring on the ends, his sister is training to be a hair stylist. We all were treated to a very nice dinner by DS#1 and his GF. She was very surprised when I told her that he had hair like that when he was Ben's age.

We all came back here for coffee, tea and desserts, banana bread, apple dump cake and a delicious chocolate cake layered with chocolate moose (sp) and cheesecake! Someone please come over and eat it before I do.

If you have to go outside bundle up

Cathy F
December 28th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Its cold here also in Alabama. Christmas is over and I am ready for spring! My old bones hate the cold. Walked out side to let Sandy out and I got a faint smell of gas. I am waiting for my daughter to come over and bring grandbabies and I see if she can smell it also and call the gas company.
Crazy store ... My daughter had to work the 23rd and that was the day they have Santa on the roof down the road from us. He is connected to his son on the ground and each child walks up he calls them by name and tells them what they want . Kids go crazy over this. Well since DD couldn't go it was me my Son n law and the grand kids. Five year old GS goes first and Santa says John Avery you have been good this year and I will bring you the paw patrol things you want. Now its time for Granddaughter I cant hear what My Son n law is saying to the guy on the ground. Santa says Kaylee keep being good and I will bring you the puppy you want. Little background here .......He hates dogs and wouldn't even consider a dog of any kind. ( I know poor kids)
Son n Law looks at me and says I messed up! Kaylee is texting her mom and is so happy what Santa is bring her. Son n law is about to have the big one. Big Big family argument . ( I stayed out of it) long story short santa leaves a letter that its too cold on the sled for puppies this year and that the entire family can go adopt one. They went the day after Christmas and I want you to meet our newest family member 4 month old Duke. You cant see it but he has one blue and one brown eye. We have no idea what kind of puppy he is. He sure is calmer than my lab! BTW son n law loves him !148954148955

What a cutie! At first glance his face looks like a Louisiana Catahoula Cattle dog, they tend to have two different colored eyes and he has similar coloring of them.

Bubby
December 28th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Morning....It's very cold here. I don't even want to look outside. Jeff told me not to leave the house today. This yuk is supposed to continue for at least another week. Monique, I'm worried about you being on the road in weather like you're having.

I began sorting and straightening the fabric shelves. So far I haven't encountered a shelf that couldn't be improved. I'm making a pile to donate to the local guild. I feel like I need to join a support group....

We made a flying trip to the apartments yesterday to take care of water pipes and turn the heat up in our vacant apartments (3).

Otherwise life is good. My UTI is letting up a little. I have meds for 3 more days. My voice is coming back slowly.

Wishing everyone a warm day. Today is definitely a quilt day.

Hugs everyone.

grammaterry
December 28th, 2017, 12:30 PM
It . be cold everywhere but the sun is out today and that is a blessing. Even 20 degrees doesn't looks so bad in the sun.
I think I must have Christmas letdown. The cold seems to be getting better but have no energy and no will to do anything. I just want to sit and read. I want to go sew but I'm not going to go up to the sewing room with that propane heater and gloves and a hat and coat and still be cold so I'll wait. Maybe I can get motivated to at least pick out a pattern that I want to make. I keep meandering from making a double wedding ring to something more modern. I have so many small pieces that the wedding ring seems like the practical thing to get started on. I have made it before and it is so easy, just time consuming.
Critters are all holed up in the house with us. Cat goes in and out but the bird is miserable . She loves being outside.
DH and I are sort of at odds when we are in a cramped space. We tend to stay in the living room with the wood stove and he brings projects in and with my OCD I get figety with the chaos. I took down the tree and that helped a little, but I lost a letter to mail and can't find it. DH doesn't think he took it to the mailbox so I guess I'll just pay on line and hope the letter got tossed in the trash (although I looked)
Suppose to remain cold everywhere for the next week I think . MIL's heart surgery went well they said. With our colds we don't want to go see her yet BIL is there.
Stay warm all

SuzanneOrleansOntario
December 28th, 2017, 12:47 PM
Good morning ladies.
Monique is not exaggerating. It is colder than the North Pole - no kidding. We went out to quilt store yesterday as DH embroidery machine is dropping fuzzies with oil. Fuzzies normal, oil not. I took him 3 tries to get a simple label done for a friend's advent calendar gift to new baby. The service guy will look at it next time he's in.
Today I don't plan to go out, unless the car is warmed up. I dropped my glasses xmas eve on ceramic floor and have huge chip next to screw. It doesn't affect vision, but it just kills me as I had to replace the other lense this summer because of vision total reversal (500). And now may just get inexpensive ones as I am rough on glasses.
I'm working on finishing my crazy patch Christmas quilt, just a bit more quilting and it's done. Sewed the binding yesterday afternoon. Have a good day everyone.

Anitamae56
December 28th, 2017, 01:57 PM
It is cold here , too. But not as cold as Monique, that would be very miserable. I feel sorry for her getting out in it. I don't like winter at all. The one thing good about it is - when it is over! :)
I plan on putting border on a tiny wonky star quilt, ( from one of the modern block magazines) it is okay but certainly isn't one my favorites. My oldest daughter picked pattern and fabric. It seems so plain.
Well up to 15' now, but so much warmer than our Canadian and northern state friends.
Have a good day.

CraftyJnet
December 28th, 2017, 02:21 PM
Good morning! Yesterday my DH drove me up to Oroville to visit my brother and SIL. We had a really nice visit, my SIL made leg of lamb for a late lunch and it was delicious. We met their new German Shepherd and she is an absolute doll! What a sweet temperament she has, so affectionate! Too soon it was time to go home. We would have spent the night but I am still having breathing problems so needed to be back home. Hope all of you have a WONDERFUL day!

MaggieSue
December 28th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Good morning all!!! I went out in the below zero temps this morning to pay property taxes, my accountant called me last night and said it would be to my advantage to pay my property taxes since I itemize and that will be going away next year. He said he was sorry he could not give me more notice but the government did not give him much notice!!! I had been hearing this on the news and wondering about this, so it was very nice of my accountant to give me a heads up!!! I will also go to the clinic and make my final contribution to my favorite charity so I will get that deduction too, and then may have more cash for fabric!!! Keep warm!!!

LauraP
December 29th, 2017, 03:05 AM
Go ahead and hate me, I can survive that better than the cold DH and I left KS before it got cold and are wintering in Quartzsite, AZ just twenty miles from Calif and an hour and a half from Mexico. Today was T-shirt weather and by this weekend it is supposed to be shorts! Eat your hearts out!!! Of course, we won't be here in the summer when it will be 120 for days on end.

Haven't been on in a while so I will catch you up on my families news.
We made a flying trip back to KS the first of Dec. Stayed a week. Just got back to AZ and my daughter, who lives by Flagstaff called and said "I'm getting married." Okay, when? "Tomorrow morning at 8:30." Take a deep breath thinking I just got out of the car after three days and it's a three hour drive back up there. Then she tells me since it is her second wedding and before a Judge that she's okay that we aren't there. Whew!!
She and new hubby will be moving to Texas in a few weeks since he just got posted there (Army). Hmmmm, another place I haven't been a lot so yeah I get to go visiting.

The other daughter who lives in upper NY by the Great Lakes is fighting pneumonia since they turned the heat off in the school when classes got out Friday, forgetting that she had after school kids till 6pm. Her oldest daughter will be starting college after Christmas break. Finally! Although I understand wanting a break between high school and college.