PDA

View Full Version : Secret Santa

chelea
December 28th, 2017, 03:14 AM
I am considering joining the 2018 Secret Santa group but have no idea (can't see the pics because I'm obviously not a member) what sort of projects it involves. I'll bet some newer members of the Forum aren't even familiar with the Groups in general...it would be nice to see some information posted in the Forum from time to time. Just my 2 cents for whatever it's worth.

Simply Quilting
December 28th, 2017, 03:45 AM
Here is what my Secret Santa made for me this year.148947

Here is one from 2014 148948

Here is the one from 2015 148950

Here is the one from 2016 148949

Monique
December 28th, 2017, 07:55 AM
I think you should just join, it was a lot of fun.

Bubby
December 28th, 2017, 08:43 AM
All you have to do is join the 2017 group to look at the gifts. I just did it. Then you can decide if you want to join the group for 2018.

Mom23
December 28th, 2017, 11:19 AM
I'm thinking of joining for the first time as well. I just took a peek at the group and it looks like there's a lot of useful information in the comments. I will read up on them before I make my decision to join.

Carlie Wolf
December 28th, 2017, 11:25 AM
I have it set to Public so everyone should be able to see the Gallery and the Discussions.

If it's not working for you then simply "join" and you will also be able to see and post.
I will be putting up the new 2018 Group later this afternoon where people can join for next year :-) You can view what has been done this year with the 2017 Secret Santa Group.

Please PM me if you have a problem viewing and I'll walk you through it.

Astatoo
December 28th, 2017, 12:08 PM
I encourage you who are thinking they "might" join the 2018 group to join. It is so much fun to make a little gift, take the opportunity to challenge yourself to try a new technique or show off a technique you have mastered.

AMG
December 28th, 2017, 12:29 PM
I had SO much fun making gifts. It was the first time I joined and it was such a great experience! I loved the themes each month, and pushing the edges of my comfort zone; I made a mug rug that I really thought needed FMQ, fir example, so I decided to try it and voila, now I can :)

Debbie Watters
December 28th, 2017, 03:07 PM
I am going to have to check this out. I guess my fear is that my work is not going to meet expectations of the one I am gifting. I wouldn't want to disappoint anyone ... especially at Christmas!

auntiemern
December 28th, 2017, 03:14 PM
I have been a member of the Secret Santa group for many years. It is always so much fun to make things for others, and get a surprise package full of 12 individual gifts for yourself to open Christmas day or Christmas Eve. I have never been disappointed with anything that I have ever received, and don't think anyone has ever been disappointed with what they have received from me. It has had some issues in the past, but some of the newer rules, virtually illiminate any of those kinds of problems. You should give it a try.

Carlie Wolf
December 28th, 2017, 03:30 PM
This will be my 4th year participating in the Secret Santa groups. I know the first year I too wondered will my things be "good enough". I think that fear goes away by the second year and I'm pretty sure most who have joined feel the same way. Last year was more of a challenge for me, and I was the moderator!! I loved it though. In the past we pretty much had themes such as "snow", "October", "blue", "batiks" etc. Last year we opened up the theme naming to individual members and 12 got to pick themes from a drawing. We'll be doing that again this year. Suddenly I saw themes such as "baskets"; "mini quilts", "quilt snip mini tutorials" and yes, many of the past types of themes. I always wanted to try a corded basket but never got motivated to do so. This year I did. Was it "perfect". No, not every seam was straight, but it worked and I really, really had fun doing it. I never tried a mini quilt either and I loved what I learned from that. It made me concentrate on those 1/4 inch seams, it was a quick project and I learned tons. Those quilt snips? I didn't even know we had those tutorials. Now I do and they were fun too. And of course who doesn't like "holidays"? Pick a holiday and do any project you wanted :-)

toggpine
December 28th, 2017, 05:09 PM
There are also two "freebie" months where you can swap out an item of your choosing for one of the themes if you get hung up. We do have a 75% handmade rule, but they can be items that are not necessarily handmade by you. Our one theme was baskets, you could have purchased a handmade basket and tucked in a fat quarter or two. That would have still qualified.
Personally, I was a bit stumped with By the Sea from April. Our neighbors took the husband and daughter fishing and they brought home some salmon. We filleted, brined, and smoked it. I sent a couple of pieces to my Secret Santa. That was handmade too. There are many ways to make these themes work!
Join the older groups and check out the photos of some of the past gifts. I know I have never been disappointed with the gifts I have received and I have had Secret Santas of differing skill levels.
Some of my favorite things have actually been some of the simplest projects. I was given a snail-shaped retractable measuring tape by NYSue. I stuck some of that blue poster putty to it and it travels all over my sewing room. Its a goofy thing, but it always makes me smile. I'm in love with the candle mat that Ginny made this year. The sweet wall hanging that Kizzie made from a photo from my farm blog hangs proudly in my kitchen. It's often the thought that goes into the project that makes them special. We all understand that we are at different skill levels, and that is OK.
I also noticed that if anyone of us got stuck and posted a request for help, there were plenty of suggestions and links to ideas to help us through a theme that we were stuck on.
Please consider joining this fun group!