PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday from the FRIGID north

Monique
December 27th, 2017, 08:37 AM
I would say good morning but nothing good about it today. It is -30C, that is -22F for you folks south of me. THAT IS COLD!! I HATE this cold. I tried to post a picture this morning, not even that will work for me.

Les and I had another quiet day yesterday. Gifts put away, more gifts under the tree for Maizyn and Phil. I expect them to come today or tomorrow.

I have to work the rest of this week. This should be interesting, no heat and no water. The furnace quit at the church and it was powered by water so they have shut the water off. Boss has heaters in place and water to at least flush the toilet. I am bringing my little electric blanket with me just in case. Please pray that the van starts this morning.

Other than that not much going on. We had a lovely meal at my sister-in-law's but we were home EARLY. Well have a great day friends. I will try to stay warm.

Bubby
December 27th, 2017, 08:55 AM
Monique...Are you really going out in such extreme cold? My vehicle wouldn't start in temperatures like that. Make sure you have your cell phone with you in case you need help. It's really cold here but here but I don't know the exact temperature.

I got the new BLOCK magazine so I will have something nice to read today. I've been down with a uti since Monday. I have meds for it, so it's just a matter of time and drinking gallons of water. Dottie has been taking it easy with me.

Wishing everyone a good Wednesday. Hugs......

Iris Girl
December 27th, 2017, 09:11 AM
BRRRR morning to all. It is a chilly 3 degrees here. Monique that must sound like a heatwave to you. My day off. Not sure what I want to do. Need to shorten some lightweight nightgowns and turn them into summery Tee's. Just too short for this body as a nightgown and a bit too long for a Tee. I also want to make the zipper organizer posted here awhile ago. Just need to get moving.
Have a wonderful day all and stay warm.

Star lover
December 27th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Mornin all....
And I thought it was cold here..... -1! But -22.....no way would I be out in it. Yesterday it was 4 and we ran out, shoveled, ran back in. Stayed in all day a, nice!

Monique, be safe, if there isn't any heat, you shouldn't be expected to suffer through it. We sure don't want them to find you frozen! So happy for you to spend some time with Maizyn! What joy! Hugs!

Barb, I had a UTI once, miserable! My DH gets them about 3 x a year (medical issue). No fun. I hope you feel better soon. Must have been why you had the fevers and chills. Nice you got the new block, something to curl up with. Take care! Hugs!

Nothing special here.....just staying warm. I'm hand quilting a quilt and find myself under it lots, since it got cold. .....and you'd find me asleep lots under it too! Oh my, nothing like a quilt......part of why we do this! These past couple of days that's the way we spend them. DH sleeping under his quilt and me quilting some, then sleeping....good times!

DH surprised me with a new foot I've been wanting for my machine. I can't wait to use it....a gathering foot. I've been wanting to make ruffles for pillows. I did it once by the basting and pulling method.....not much fun. And he heard me mention how I again hated it when I made the ruffles for my DGD nightgowns, so he got one and a bunch of stuff .....like bobbins, needles, oil, etc. so I'm kinda itching to sew, but warm times under that quilt call me for now.

So very happy that it sounds like sweet times with family we're had by all!

Wonderful to hear from Sugar, sad to hear that they've both been through a lot. Praying for them both!

Have a great day everyone. Love and hugs!

JCY
December 27th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Good Morning ~ Very cold here, too. It's 6 deg. The high temp. yest. briefly reached 20, but most of the day it was in the teens. Both DH & I had a hard time staying warm. I finally switched out of jeans into fleece sweat pants & added a pullover sweater, which I wore the rest of the day. Aren't you glad you don't live in Erie, PA?! My goodness! All that snow! It's paralyzing. Imagine the weight on the roofs. I looked at some pics on the web this a.m. We're actually supposed to see 40 deg. today, so our temps. will be moderating, thank goodness.

Yest. I spent considerable time on the web shopping. Ordered a new steam iron, exam gloves, Pilot pens, & several books. Also ordered next year's Christmas cards -- 10 boxes of 20 ea. cards. I did 3 loads of laundry and sewed more on the Kaffe Fassett UFO project. One more row of sashing to do, then I can start sewing the rows together. This one will be bright. The sashing is lime green.

Barb, hope you feel better soon. Praying also for Sugar & her husb. as they recover from pneumonia. Ya'll, stay warm!

Georgie Girl
December 27th, 2017, 10:15 AM
Well it's -3 below here with and expecting a 5-15 wind chill today. I so wish I didn't have to go out today but exchanging gifts with my "Bee Group" .

KPH
December 27th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Good Morning All,

My MIL was complaining about the cold yesterday. It's not supposed to get above zero today, DH keeps telling her she needs to move south. lol, where on earth would we put her! She has lived in Peru, IN for over 50 years, and she's refusing to leave. Thank goodness youngest BIL lives there too.

I was thrilled to hear that MIL's oldest granddaughter called her Christmas. She's been such a troubled child/ young adult/ adult. Back when she was 16 she decided she was running away to live with us. We'd just moved and she had no idea where we lived, but it scared the death out of me. I was terrified for her. Don't know how many prayers of thanksgiving I prayed when she was found safe and taken home. She estranged herself from the family, got involved in drugs, and now it seems like she's turning her life around. She's definitely her mother's child, some of the same mental health issues.

Went out yesterday to a couple of stores, Books-a-Million, Best Buy, Lowe's and Walmart. I was ready to go back home! I guess we avoided places that were having great sales. Other than Walmart, nothing was really crowded.

DS#1 got power tools from his inlaws for Christmas. He was taking them back because they didn't fit the batteries that he already had. He wanted to exchange them for a different brand. On the phone he was told, yeah, sure we'll take them back. Gets there, where's the receipt? It was a gift, I just want to exchange them. Well, they didn't take them back. So he called corporate. They checked his 'My Lowes' now he's a VIP with Lowe's... and they took back the power tools without a receipt and exchanged them for tools that will go with his batteries. I know he was tickled, because he called us on the way home from Lowe's. With everything he's been buying from Lowe's to build stuff, paint and get his house in order, I can understand why he's a VIP.

I stitched up about 50 hexies yesterday and have the box ready to finish up another set. I'll start putting flowers together when I finish the stack of fabric in the box. I think I want to go ahead and cut the next batch of fabric up before I start sewing the flowers on to the quilt.

I pulled out the paint chips for the boys bedrooms. I didn't see anything on the boxing day sale that I thought would look good with their bedroom colors. One day, I'm going to have to break down and go across town to a fabric store and see what I can find.

It's been nice to catch up with forum friends. I've added to my prayer list, and thanksgiving list.

Best get started, I need to call Nana and see if there's anything I can bring for the get together at their house tomorrow afternoon.

Have a wonderfully creative day, and stay warm!

Cokie
December 27th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Morning everyone. I haven't checked the temp here yet - I'm a wimp!! But at least the sun is shining. I have to go the the doctor this morning or I'd stay in. Enjoying a cup of coffee, then I need to get a shower and get to the doctor's office. DH is still sleeping. I think the busy-ness of the past few of days has worn him out. Not sure what else I'll find to get into today. I'm on vacation this week and I have a "Should Do" list and a "Want To Do" list - we'll see which one wins today. Stay warm everyone. For those of you feeling under the weather (ha - I didn't mean to make a pun!), I hope you're on the mend and feeling better soon. Prayers for those who need them today.

MaggieSue
December 27th, 2017, 12:19 PM
At this hour our temperature is -16. I am working on a wall hanging!!! Today is DGD 12 th birthday and will celebrate with her and family at a local restaurant. I am working on a wall hanging that I hope to finish today. Prayers for those in need and blessings to all!

Nwmnteacher
December 27th, 2017, 12:26 PM
Good morning everyone! It's -20 here in northwestern Minnesota. I'll be staying in today, but have to work tomorrow. I drive and hour to work at a JoAnns in Grand Forks, ND. I don't mind the drive; I listen to audible books, plus, I only work 2 or 3 days a week. It's my "retirement job" after 38 years of teaching. I'll be wrapping gifts to send to my son and his family in Okinawa today. They're late Christmas gifts because I was finishing an "I Spy" quilt for our grandson. I hope to work on the M* kitty quilt today. I'm making it for my daughter's roommate, using novelty fabrics for the cats that feature things she likes to do. I enjoy reading your posts everyday, and have made a resolution to pop in more often. New Year's blessings to all.

Jeanne

Kgrammiecaz
December 27th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! to all of you. I am a former Jersey girl and am glad I left that cold weather. I am having hissy fits because I have to put a sweatshirt jacket on in the morning. I know, you all feel real sorry for me. LOL.

Monique, I am taking a cruise from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale (one way since it is a re-positioning cruise) in October. Hopefully its not too cold in October where you are. I am looking forward to being a tourist and I am hoping its not too cold.

Keep warm and safe everyone!

grammaterry
December 27th, 2017, 12:46 PM
I'm late today. Slept in after the driving yesterday to DD's. We had a great family party. 20 of us! The children were precious and so very polite and thankful for each of their gifts (even the ones you know they really didn't like) . One GS go t fish to dissect. He was not happy but he was very polite.
My 2nd DD made a quilt for me that is truly beautiful. THe fabrics are wonderful. Along with it she included a new rotary cutter, a pair of spring loaded scissors, 2 charm packs and GET THIS ...A new Kindle. Wow. She drew my name but I know she went way over our budget! We played secret santa with gifts that we had to have in our house, new or used. I got a gift from DS that he had gotten on his trip to Belgium last summer . (a lb of godiva coffee, two bars of godiva choc. and a godiva lunch bag. How cool is that.
I put a full size quilt in the secret santa pile and it was the hit. It got stolen 3 times~!!
It was a good trip. We got stuck in traffic for 38 min. for a wreck. News helicopters circled the area. We were 4 miles back from the accident and couldn't tell much except when we passed it it appeared a truck had sailed off the interstate and hit a tree in the median. FIre trucks and ambulances were on the scene but I don't think they took anyone away. We didn't see it on the news so maybe just an accident with minor injury.
Its cold here but not like at Moniques. Too cold for the sewing room though so I guess I have no excuse not to pick up and clean the house.
MIL is having heart surgery this morning. She is out of surgery and they say doing well. They said they would put her in ICU so in a few days we will see her. We have to get over all this gunk in our bodies first. Seems like we feel good one day and the next not so good. I guess that's the nature of a cold.
Have a wonderful day all. I treasure your friendships.

Claire Hallman
December 27th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! to all of you. I am a former Jersey girl and am glad I left that cold weather. I am having hissy fits because I have to put a sweatshirt jacket on in the morning. I know, you all feel real sorry for me. LOL.

Monique, I am taking a cruise from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale (one way since it is a re-positioning cruise) in October. Hopefully its not too cold in October where you are. I am looking forward to being a tourist and I am hoping its not too cold.

Keep warm and safe everyone!
We took that cruse two years ago on Royal, it was great but it was pretty chilly, it actually snowed in Quebec the day we got there. We went a couple of days early and enjoyed Quebec. The temps improved about the time we got to Charleston. I know you will have a wonderful time.
My son has taken a job in Orlando and his family will move down there when they sell their house, I expect our vacations from now on will be spent in Orlando.:D

MaryUK
December 27th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Good afternoon, the top temperature here today is 1C going down to -5C overnight, don't know what that equates to in Fahrenheit.

Went to Dr first thing to be strapped to a BP monitor what joy for the next 24 hours!! We then went on to look at new kitchens - fell in love with a light oak one so now comes the task of picking worktops, tiles and flooring along with a new washer and fridge!! It's going to be expensive but the present kitchen has lasted 29 years so that's not bad.

Have picked up the knitting again to get that finished by the New Year and give it to DD as a belated Christmas present.
I have been online and night some patterns for applique wall hangings and a turkey doorstop - will have a lot of fun with those next year I'm sure.

Love and best wishes to you all, especially our poorly members, I hope they have a swift return to good health xx

Kgrammiecaz
December 27th, 2017, 01:27 PM
We took that cruse two years ago on Royal, it was great but it was pretty chilly, it actually snowed in Quebec the day we got there. We went a couple of days early and enjoyed Quebec. The temps improved about the time we got to Charleston. I know you will have a wonderful time.
My son has taken a job in Orlando and his family will move down there when they sell their house, I expect our vacations from now on will be spent in Orlando.:D

Awesome, maybe we will catch up with each other some day soon, do you know around what section of Orlando? Yes, I hope to spend a couple extra days before the cruise in Quebec. A great friend who lives in Denver is going to join me. She wants to go early as well. It is a two week cruise and I am so excited about being away from the crazy work life for almost three weeks total. Good to hear you enjoyed it, and I will be sure to pack some warm clothes.

Carlie Wolf
December 27th, 2017, 01:38 PM
I guess we're having a heat wave here. It's 20F, but with windchill 14.
JCY warm sweats are a standard here for the winter and sometimes the Fall too :-) I went on a sewing spree last year and make 7 pairs of fleece sweats with sweatshirts.

Today I am excited because I'm trying out the mini periwinkle template that was one of the gifts I got from my Secret Santa. It has the paper too so I guess that qualifies for my first paper piecing project??? I'm not sure if that's true paper piecing :-) I'm using it to make a border for the half shades I'm doing for the kitchen. I've been waiting a year to do this LOL I think now a scrappy mini periwinkle quilt is also on my bucket list for 2018.

Yesterday I had like a good and bad day. Had to run to Walmart and discovered my drivers side wiper was kaput. Fortunately the mechanic I use was open and he put a new one on cheap. Thank you Santa! Also two days ago my wireless died for this computer (it will work on the old one downstairs that I hardly use but I can't watch tv from it as its Ubuntu). That meant that I couldn't watch my new Prime videos upstairs which is where I watch tv. After spending about 6 hours on line between a Frontier tech and also doing Google searches I discovered that although my wireless is gone upstairs I could use an ethernet cable to get back on line up there. I needed almost 50 feet to get it going through the windows between upstairs and downstairs. The good news....I got it...the bad news it cost me $29 here as opposed to the $15 it was listed for on line. But other really good news is that for several years now I've had trouble with the streaming for Netflix and now Amazon videos. Many calls to Frontier tech, Netflix and stopping people on the streets, none of which solved the problem. Well it appears that with using an ethernet cable instead of wireless that problem now appears to be solved. May God be praised!! A solution that finally worked! Maybe I should pass that on to the millions of techs I've spent hours on the phone with these last few years????

Ginny B
December 27th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Good afternoon all. It is cold here too but not as cold as some of you are experiencing. I got up at 5:30 and then decided, Nope, I am tired and need to just have a day to rest so back to bed I went. Stayed there until around 9:30. I have been sleeping ok but whenever I woke up, I still felt tired and there was always someplace we had to go or a bunch of stuff I had to do. It was good to have extra rest and then get up and not have to be anywhere or do anything. Not that I didn't do anything but it was just what I wanted....which mostly involved being in my sewing room. Not sewing anything but taking pictures of and organizing the Secret Sister gifts I received from toggpine and also a few other things I got from family for my sewing room. then I spent some time catching up on reading some threads here on the forum and now here I am ready for an afternoon cup of tea and maybe a sit down with the Block magazine I got yesterday. I know that part of my tiredness is because I ran out of my thyroid meds right before I left for California (thought the pharmacy was faxing the dr. office --- they said they were) Well, they didn't and then I had to leave. Now the dr. is closed until tomorrow so I am hoping to get in to see him soon and have him renew the script.

Dinner is all ready to just be heated up (I made sauce and meatballs over the weekend) so it will be an easy evening. I am feeling less tired after my very relaxing day.

Be well everyone and stay warm everyone. Monique, I hope it wasn't too cold at work. Sounds like if it's that cold out and no heat in the building, you should not need to work there. Hope you are warm and cozy now.

Dollyquilts
December 27th, 2017, 06:35 PM
Don't hate me please, but it's 60 F. here in Houston. It's not pleasant though because it's drizzly and dreary, 56 percent humidity.

I gave my son and DIL a Kitchen Aid mixer. He took it back and traded for one with a metal bowl. He's so excited about it and said he was going to use it this weekend. I never would have guessed he would have enjoyed cooking like he does.

I'm getting off my blood thinner starting today so I can get a spinal injection on January 2. Last time I tried to do that, I had a TIA with aphasia. Talked gibberish for about three hours. I'm taking it easy the rest of the week.

Bubby, I had a miserable UTI about three months ago. Worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. They likened the pain to kidney stone pain. Get well quick.

NanaMaggie
December 27th, 2017, 07:51 PM
Happy Wednesday! It's about 40 degrees here and we are all bundled up like Nanook of the North! Even the dog got under the quilts last night... I remember CT winters, never felt the cold like this. Old age?? Hope everyone is warm and snuggled up against the cold.

Hugs

cv quilter
December 27th, 2017, 08:38 PM
Just reading these posts. It was 31 degrees here this morning when I got up at 6 am, but now is in the high 60s. I have been inside all day, while DH went out and got 5 gallons of paint to begin the process of painting our home. It won't all be done now....he is starting with his outdoor kitchen structure he has been building for several months. I finally went out to my sewing room and decided to piece the backing for the Crayon quilt top I sewed together (these blocks were from a Riley Blake Crayon swap I did on the QATW forum) and because I am having the eye ulcer issue I have been experiencing for the last 4 weeks, I had a H... of a time getting the measurements right!!! How frustrating!. I never realized that when one eye is effected, the other eye doesn't work well either! But, I got the backing pieced and I am hoping that in the next few days I can get it sandwiched and quilted before DD starts back to her classroom after Christmas break. I had hoped it would be done by Christmas, but I couldn't see much of anything with my right eye til just recently. ) I want her to take it to her classroom and she can use it to cuddle her 1st graders when they feel sick/cold/worried. I think that I will quilt it on my Tiarra and probably just do a simple and easy meander. I'm still not seeing well enough to do anything difficult. I am warming up a casserole for dinner from leftover turkey/potatoes/gravy/dressing that we had on Christmas day. I SEW enjoy seeing all of your posts. I am HOPEFUL that in 2018 I can be more present here. I do enjoy seeing all of your posts and also all of your projects. I have been trying to keep up with this Forum and QATW Forum. I have been blessed to receive a wonderful treasure from Bubby (Barb, thank you!) 2017 is almost over and 2018 is just ahead. Thank you for the info and fun I have received during 2017. THANK YOU. :) Wishing and hoping for better days to come for ALL of us.