• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjkaiser
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2013

Heads up if you have a vehicle with wheel locks

I am so aggravated!! I drive a 2016 Honda Civic that I have on a lease. About six months ago I had an almost flat tire from driving over a nail. Took the car to an auto repair shop a friend recommended. They couldn't patch it but sold me a new tire. Okay, no problem. On Christmas Eve we had to do a fair amount of driving visiting relatives etc. When we got home my dh was getting wood for the fireplace out of the garage and heard a hissing sound. He thought it was coming from one of the tires on my car. Sure enough, we wake up Christmas morning with a flat tire. I asked my SIL to put the spare on, one of those donut things, because my dh had surgery on Thursday and has a 5-lb weight lifting restriction for three weeks. SIL says sure, then comes in the house a few minutes later to tell me there's some missing tools and missing wheel lock key that he needs and did I take them out of the car for some reason. The car comes with a tire changing kit in a box with rubber packing and cut outs in the shape of different tools so you can see where the pieces go. There's supposed to be 8 tools but 3 were missing. I figured what happened is the auto repair shop used them and the special key to change the tire and did not return them. I called the repair shop and the mgr said they would "never" do such a thing and I must have misplaced or moved them myself. Not true! That was the only repair needed since I got the car, why would I take that stuff out of the car?! I called the dealer to see about a replacement key or see if they have a universal key so I could get the tire changed and was told no such thing as a universal key. I have to order a new key from a company in California (I am in Wisconsin) and it will take 10 days because it has to be specially made. So I will be without a car for at least that long. As far as the other missing tools the parts guy said he had to check with the dealer manager, he does not think it is possible to repace only the missing tools, I will probably have to buy the whole collection of tools because the car has to have a complete set when the lease is up. So the lesson here is, if you take your car in for service make sure you get all your parts returned. If I had thought of that six months ago I wouldn't be in this mess right now. Thanks for letting me vent!!
    Last edited by jjkaiser; December 26, 2017, 04:24 PM.
    Jocelyn
    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
  • Rhonda K
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2017

Re: Heads up if you have a vehicle with wheel locks

Oh dear. Sorry for Your troubles with the tire locks. Are these numbered specific to your car? Wonder if you show up at the first place and request the manager to check their locks if they would find yours.

Goodness!
    Just one more stitch...

Comment

• KarenC
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2015

What a bummer. At my old mechanic, he always handed me the lock when he handed me the bill. With this car, I've been taking it to the dealer, and have been lazy and not checking for it. Thanks for the reminder.
      Karen
      Spring, TX

Comment

• Patty J
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2012

I never had any issues before, but I'll be sure to check all the supplies when we have our leased truck in for service. Thanks for the advice and I'm really sorry that you are having issues. It is too cold out to walk anywhere here tonight. Think it is -1 degree in SE WI, so be careful out there.

Comment

• KPH
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2015

I'm so sorry you've had to go through this. This isn't the time of year to be without a vehicle. I hope everything is resolved to your satisfaction quickly.
          Katrina
          From NC, retired in FL
          “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• MaggieSue
            Missouri Star
            • Sep 2015

So sad that one has to monitor every little thing!!!

Comment

• Grey Lady
              The Guild President
              • Jan 2015

We gave up on wheel locks a decade ago. Got a flat tire and the key was missing from the last change. Had to pay for an expensive tow. No one has tried to steal the wheels in this century.
              Diana Grey

Comment

• Judy, USMC
                Missouri Star
                • May 2013

Sorry to hear this but thanks for posting. This is an important reminder for a lot of us.

Comment

• Debbie Watters
                  Missouri Star
                  • Aug 2015

Who would have thought about this? This was an enlightening post ... hopefully things will be replaced quickly ... crummy time now or really anytime that your car is out of commission!

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                    Missouri Star
                    • Apr 2012

Wow. Not something I'd ever heard of. Thank you for sharing. But what a bummer for you and your family!
                    Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• TMP
                      Missouri Star
                      • Apr 2014

I am so tired of people not doing the job that they are paid to do. I think that includes returning all the parts ect that belong to your car. Any time lately, I have some service done l am amazed when its not a hassle. How sad is that? I don't know if it will do any good but why not call and explain where you bought the tire what has happen and if they don't replace the tools maybe they will be more careful with the next person's tool kit .
                      Teresa
                      Pelham, Alabama
                      War Eagle!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X