PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Eve Morning - Sunday Hellos

JCY
December 24th, 2017, 10:02 AM
Good Morning ~ Baby, it's cold outside! It started snowing yest. eve. about dusk & snowed till maybe midnight. It looks like there are 2" on the picnic table. But...once it cleared, the temp. dropped. It's 0 deg. out there this a.m.! Brrr! I'll really have to bundle up when I go to church. DH is nervous about me going out on the snowy roads, but I'm going anyway. Hey, I took Driver's Educ. on snow packed roads in Mich., so what's 2" of snow. At 0 deg. the streets won't be as slick as they would be if the temp. was closer to freezing. We definitely will have a white Christmas.

I did no sewing yest. I sort of took it easy. I'm working my way through my Charlotte Hubbard books. They are so good I can hardly put them down. I guess my major accomplishment yest. was to bake pizza. I buy the Digornio's 4 cheese pizzas & put my own fixin's on them. I eat 1 pc. & put the other 7 pcs. in the freezer for later.

Time to get on with my day. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.

Monique
December 24th, 2017, 10:08 AM
Good morning Joy and all that follow. Everything is all ready to go around here. We delivered our gifts to their proper homes yesterday and watched the neighbour kids play hockey. We both had a nap and not much else after that.

I was on the phone with our internet provider, our internet yesterday was like having dial-up again. He did all he could from his end, so he was putting in a request for a technician to come have a look.

Today hubby is opening up but only working 2 hours. Everyone is taking a two-hour shift today. I am not sure what I am going to do today, maybe tidy up the sewing room a little. Phil and Maizyn are coming for New Year's, so I shall have a quiet week.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas Eve and may Santa have fulfilled all our quilty wishes.

seaturtle
December 24th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Good morning, Joy. Merry Christmas to you! Be careful on those snowy roads and have a wonderful day.

I finished the last batch of biscotti yesterday, so I am finally caught up with the baking, cleaning, and wrapping. We're heading to church soon and then planning a quiet day with just the 3 of us. We're having a seafood dinner this evening - crabs, mussels, and oysters.

Hope everyone has a great, restful day and a wonderful time with family and/or friends tomorrow.

grammaterry
December 24th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Oh Joy, what willpower. When I make pizza I eat it till its gone. Be really careful out on the road this Christmas Eve. People have a lot on their minds and aren't paying good attention.
Biscotti, that is an undertaking. Good for you to make it homemade.
I think today I will bake the turkey because, quite frankly, DH's favorite part of the turkey is left over turkey sandwiches which will make Christmas day perfectly easy for me. I have "a toy" for his gift that I know he will be much more interested in than the food, so I thought we would have a good dinner tonight.
Fill your hearts with joy today for tomorrow we will celebrate the birth of our Savior.

LindaKay75
December 24th, 2017, 11:13 AM
Joy, good morning to you too. Please send me some of your snow. I'd love to have a white Christmas instead of 80 degree weather, for a change. You be safe to and from church. Just say a prayer before you leave. I always do that when I get in my car. Have a very merry Christmas and look forward to the new year. Hmmm, great idea for the pizza.

Ginny B
December 24th, 2017, 12:36 PM
Good morning and Merry Christmas Eve. Getting ready to head up to Peekskill to spend Christmas Eve with DSs 1 & 2.
We just need to pack up the car and head over the river and through the woods. Have a wonderful, peaceful day and evening. Safe travels for all.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
December 24th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Good morning. Yes it is cold out there. We are at -4 and got about 5" of snow last night. DH is out there with snowblower (he finally got it working). It is a beautiful sunny morning and I slept in until 110am. You read that right 10am. We had our Christmas dinner with our combined 4 children and spouses, and five grandchildren. It is a rare occasion when they can all make it. Two of them work shifts which don't always fall with other's plans. It was beautiful, and I had been cooking and prepping all week. I was on my feet all day. When they left, I collapsed. Then got up an hour later and did more straightening out of the house. Five grandkids can raise havoc. Dh had made coffee with a pinch of cinnamon. Doesn't get better than that. Be safe on the roads everyone, as many people just have to get there first (or never).

Navy Wife
December 24th, 2017, 01:28 PM
It's gray and cloudy here after yesterday's rain and wind. I coughed my way through another night. I'm not sure how much longer I can take this. But better to be coughing and moving the gunk around, I guess.

I haven't been out of the house since Wednesday to go to the doctor. I need to straighten the house a little and still have cards to address. Maybe I'll get that done today!

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas, and happy holiday season.

Claire Hallman
December 24th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Merry Christmas Eve!
We have an interesting day ahead, some cooking experiments :0 to conquer and a celebration with our dear friends and former neighbors. We started out keeping the neighbor kid's Christmas toys then putting them out while they went to church Christmas Eve. As the kids grew it morphed into watching them open their presents Christmas Eve and having snacks together. Lucky for us even though we have moved, we are still invited for the event.:)
I am making a cheesecake today, wish me luck.:lol:

KPH
December 24th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Merry Christmas!

We had a wonderful Christmas Eve service today. Started with hymns, the fastest God Rest You Merry Gentlemen I've ever tried to sing. I couldn't read the words quick enough for some of those verses that we didn't sing a lot at home. It's a wonder that fiddle wasn't on fire.

It ended with the children singing all the verses to Silent Night. That one always makes me tear up.

DS#1's family and all of the in laws that are off will be here for "Lupper" (Early supper). Not sure what they'd call it since they all say dinner and not supper, I guess it would be "Linner". They should be arriving between 2:30- 3. Planning to eat around 3ish, which means probably closer to 3:30- My son's MIL is always late.

The kids had their santa this morning. DIL will be working in the ER tomorrow. She found out they're cutting 10 nurses from the downtown ER, but moving those 10 out to the satellites. DIL will be moving to one that is closer to home and shouldn't have the gun related/ or as many drug related issues in that area of town. It puts my mind to ease. I didn't like her working up town, and having to drive there in the dark, by herself. (I know, over protective)

Dinner is all but ready. Casseroles are ready to go into the oven. Notes on which one goes in first, and what's next are on the lids. The potatoes are cut and soaking, I'll rinse them and get them on about the same time. I love being retired and being able to spread out the chores for a big dinner like this. It's really been no trouble at all. How on earth did I do it when I was working?

I hope everyone has a safe and joyful holiday. Merry Christmas. Prayers for those in need, and those whose heart is hurting.

JCY
December 24th, 2017, 04:56 PM
Back again -- Driving to/from church was fine. Everyone was being sensible & driving more slowly. Main streets were plowed, with sand/salt spread at intersections for better traction. Coming home at 10 a.m. there was more slush. When I got home, I had to stop in the driveway & clean off the accumulated slush that was frozen on the mud flaps. We have plastic containers we place under all 4 mud flaps to catch the drips. Plus we spread newspapers around under the car so the drips don't run all over the garage floor. DH was much relieved I was home safely.

Church was nice with the choir singing, lots of congregational carols, the pastor's Advent message, & candle lighting at the end while we sang Silent Night.

The sun seems very bright as it reflects off the snow. The temp. briefly made it up to 32 deg., but it's already dropping. I'm ready to eat lunch & take it easy the rest of the day.

God bless us every one!