PDA

View Full Version : cork.....

bubba
December 21st, 2017, 01:19 AM
Someone on facebook posted they had gotten cork fabric at Hobby Lobby. Price after the 30% discount is $16.09. Naturally, I had to go check this out. It is the natural color cork with gold flecks and fabric backing, 60" wide, and indeed, that is the price. I bought some to try out, but don't know yet what I will try it for.

If you go looking for it, it is on the upholstery rolls, not the bolts.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 21st, 2017, 05:11 AM
Dang, I was just there yesterday. I would have gotten some for sure! Thanks for the heads up!

Carol336
December 21st, 2017, 07:56 AM
Wow, I've never bought it, but have often thought of giving it a try on some purses...didn't know it was so expensive.....what is the usual cost?

Bubby
December 21st, 2017, 08:49 AM
I see it used on the bottom of bags and it looks awesome. Can't wait to see what you make with it.

Monique
December 21st, 2017, 10:05 AM
And here I thought you were going to say that you and Roger got corked for your anniversary. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

KPH
December 21st, 2017, 11:09 AM
The wheels are churning for next year's Christmas presents... thinking about Rob's wallet tutorial, some coin purses...

MaggieSue
December 21st, 2017, 12:53 PM
I have seen the cork on the bottom of purses, will be looking forward to see what you make with it.

LLLinda
December 21st, 2017, 02:20 PM
How durable do you suppose it is? And does anyone know about washability? Sounds interesting.

Hulamoon
December 21st, 2017, 02:35 PM
I bought some here and it's $35 a yd. Pretty expensive, but I got it on a free shipping day. I was planning on a small bag.It's really pretty!

bubba
December 21st, 2017, 03:47 PM
Most sites sell it for $60 or more per yard. It comes in a wide variety of colors and prints. I have a half yard piece of a dark blue gray, but have not brought myself to cut into it yet!

It is supposed to wear well and it feels like a buttery leather.

K. McEuen
December 21st, 2017, 04:20 PM
How durable do you suppose it is? And does anyone know about washability? Sounds interesting.

Cork is NOT washable, but can be cleaned by wiping with a damp cloth. The good quality cork imported from Portugal has been treated with a protectant much like Scotchguard.

Some people that have used the Hobby Lobby cork have complained of cracking. I've not used it (or seen it there yet) but if they are using the cork too close to the selvedge that could be their issue too. If you cut too close to the edge (past the little holes) then it is thinner and will crack if bent or wear a lot faster.

bubba
December 21st, 2017, 07:22 PM
Cork is NOT washable, but can be cleaned by wiping with a damp cloth. The good quality cork imported from Portugal has been treated with a protectant much like Scotchguard.

Some people that have used the Hobby Lobby cork have complained of cracking. I've not used it (or seen it there yet) but if they are using the cork too close to the selvedge that could be their issue too. If you cut too close to the edge (past the little holes) then it is thinner and will crack if bent or wear a lot faster.

I only saw one person complain about it, and I think she used it too close to the selvage. Just by feel, this feels the same thickness as the really expensive stuff I bought on line. It's nice and pliable, buttery like. And to see how I like it, $16 is not bad.

K. McEuen
December 21st, 2017, 07:28 PM
I only saw one person complain about it, and I think she used it too close to the selvage. Just by feel, this feels the same thickness as the really expensive stuff I bought on line. It's nice and pliable, buttery like. And to see how I like it, $16 is not bad.

That is why I said that they may have used too close to the selvedge. So many people are used to paying close to $80 a yard for cork and are intent on using every little bit and then scream when they have issues because they used the selvedge that needs to be cut off. I've not had any cracking problems with any that I have purchased and am interested to see what the cork at Hobby Lobby is like if and when the stores here get it in stock.

bubba
December 21st, 2017, 07:31 PM
That is why I said that they may have used too close to the selvedge. So many people are used to paying close to $80 a yard for cork and are intent on using every little bit and then scream when they have issues because they used the selvedge that needs to be cut off. I've not had any cracking problems with any that I have purchased and am interested to see what the cork at Hobby Lobby is like if and when the stores here get it in stock.

I think they all got it this week. It was still wrapped in plastic when I got mine.

songbird857
December 22nd, 2017, 08:48 AM
Someone on facebook posted they had gotten cork fabric at Hobby Lobby. Price after the 30% discount is $16.09. Naturally, I had to go check this out. It is the natural color cork with gold flecks and fabric backing, 60" wide, and indeed, that is the price. I bought some to try out, but don't know yet what I will try it for.

If you go looking for it, it is on the upholstery rolls, not the bolts.
Thanks Pat! Iíll check it out after Christmas :)