PDA

View Full Version : Monday morning hellos

Monique
December 18th, 2017, 06:26 AM

Yes I have done that many times, LOL!!

Good morning friends, although I don't know yet what is good about it. Up WAY too early AGAIN!!! Roll over to one side, my side hurts, roll over to the other side, I get heartburn, roll onto my back I snore myself awake. Hubby is having a great sleep for a change, HIS snoring was keeping me awake.

So my busy weekend is over. I went shopping on Saturday and pretty well finished up what I needed to. We attended Les' Christmas party but we were home very early. I didn't mind one least bit. And Les felt so much better yesterday. So we went to the city to shop. My sister-in-law also came with us. I didn't buy ANYTHING! SIL bought me a shirt I liked that I was going to buy myself. I will act surprised Christmas, haha. We then picked up my niece and we all went out for a nice meal together. We think it is so cool that she likes to hang with us.

OH, it was Phil's turn to get good news. He is staying in the military. His file has been in limbo for the last 5 years. He got the official word last week. Now both my boys have something to celebrate this Christmas. I am so happy for both of them. Greg & Ashley celebrate their 1 year anniversary today but Greg is flying to Halifax today for the week.

Today I will get some wrapping done while Les is at work. I do have one more lunch to attend tomorrow. This one is for Victoria's Quilts and then I am free until after Christmas.

Have a great day everyone.

MaryUK
December 18th, 2017, 07:26 AM
It's a cold day here - ground frost everywhere but not as cold as you're having Monique.

Yesterday the Youth church took over the morning service (it's their annual tradition) and it was so lovely. The little ones stood at the front to sing "Away in a manger", we had a quiz based on Christmas traditions, all the carols were chosen by them so we had lots of "younger songs ie "it was on a starry night" interspersed with The first Nowell and Joy to the world and my DGS gave a sermon on the true meaning of Christmas!! What a blessed time we all had!
In the evening we had the church carol service. By the time we had had 2 hours of practice (I'm the worship leader) my hips were in revolt (waiting until I'm a little older to get both hips replaced).
Today I have some supermarket shopping to do then a quick clean before putting up our decorations, we're a little late this year.
Tonight will be our last bible study until the new year but we will only have prayers before we tuck into coffee and nibbles. The other bible study groups don't do that - their loss!!
Hope everyone has a good day and hugs for those in need.

toggpine
December 18th, 2017, 07:26 AM
I'm headed to bed. I took Em to Nana's and then finished up some shopping I needed to do solo. I also picked up the replacement quart of paint. The mint green will be fine some place else, but not in my entryway! It looks so much better!
We put some of the furniture back where it will live and rehung the art on the fresh walls. Then I shifted more furniture around so long could keep painting!
Entryway redone, dining room and hall mostly done. I'm need to cut in at the top, but I am too tired to be up on the ladder safely.

I'm m going to go catch a few Zzz's before I have to make a run to the district office for some paperwork. A pass through Costco for ham dinner makings and then back home to paint and tidy up before I have everybody over for supper!

I hope you all get your day off and running!
Hugs, Cathy

Georgie Girl
December 18th, 2017, 07:41 AM
Wow busy day along with finishing painting. I'm terrible at painting. I start out neat and then it quickly goes to sloppy. My DH hates to paint so last year we hired my son's friend. The whole downstairs was done in 2 days. It would have taken DH 2 months if not more to finish it all. He's way to meticulous and to many breaks.

Star lover
December 18th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Wow, a very busy bunch! And I thought I was busy....y'all got me beat!

Oh Monique, my how I've tried to push when it's obvious pull and really work at it, thinking, it's just stuck! I'm such a ditz!
Hope your side feels better, so you can sleep tonight, especially with Les doing alllll that snoring! Congrats to your son too! Wonderful!

Mary, your services sounded like y'all nailed Christmas beautifully!

Cathy, if you found me on a ladder doing anything, you'd still find me there! I don't like....hate heights! How I wish I could, there's not a spot in this old house that needs paint!

Georgie, sounds like the perfect plan!

Well seems like all we did was hurry up and sit all weekend. 3 grands sang in a Christmas program Saturday evening....they did a fantastic job! They did parts and newer songs that I had never heard. Although they sounded traditional. Just never heard them before. They had cookies following....I ate too many! Then Sunday we went to church, had lunch, went grocery shopping and then off to the other grands church for their program. 1 GD performed in it, she also did great! Again followed by soup and cookies.

''Tis the season for cookies. I don't make them anymore, so I had to sample a few....right? I got my fill, don't need any till next year.

So I never got to the sewing room and I need to finish off another nightgown today! Nothing like hurry hurry.

Hope everyone can enjoy the season even while plugging away at what needs to be done.....that's part of my struggle...

Love, hugs and prayers for all! ❤️

JCY
December 18th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Good Morning ~ Cold here, too, 22 deg. But we will have a sunny day in the 50's. Dreading the cold (near 0) & snow expected later in the week. I'll make sure I have all my errands run prior to then. Today I have an appt. for a much needed massage. I need to get groc. Time to buy DH's salmon for the next mo. He eats a small piece every day for lunch. I also need to get chicken; tomorrow I will be making his chicken soup again.

Yest. was church. Fortunately the "frizzle" fizzled. Although there was a slight mist on the windshield, the streets were ok. Just wet in a few places, but not icy. In the afternoon I accomplished quite a bit of FMQ on the table runner. I have 1 block & the border yet to quilt.

Time to fix DH's breakfast & get the laundry going.

Cathy F
December 18th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Morning all,
It's been sporastic posting for me lately, such a busy time of year and trying to find the time to get it all done. Finally finished a gift for my son, he has a muscle car he shows at car meets and made a request for a cover for the roll bar in it. Not my usual type of sewing but he never asks for anything so I figured it out and did it. Will give it to him with his Christmas gifts. He will be amazed I actually did it. One more gift to go then I can call it done.

This has been a sad week, my friend's dad died Wednesday, and Saturday our friend's wife died. It's so hard to lose anyone you love but especially at the holidays.

Well, I'm told someone is supposed to be getting a special delivery today according to my tracking. I hope they are right, fingers crossed!

Must get moving have a grocery list to make out and shopping if we are going to have a Christmas meal. Trying to keep it simple and stress free this year as much as possible. Daughter-in-law is cooking and bringing the the roast and gravy, and I'm doing the sides. Buying some cookies and making a cheesecake for dessert. Having a semi-homemade meal!

Wishing everyone a good day and hope all are productive in their holiday preparations.

grammaterry
December 18th, 2017, 11:36 AM
Went to the Shriners dinner last night and it was great. Sad to see the old men aging so rapidly and hear that their wifes are so ill they can't attend anymore. Some have them in homes now, others in hospital. Out of the ten members still living only 6 were able to come. They always bring friends and family to share the party so about 60 people there. They made you and me the stars of the party with presentations and thanks for our quilt service. They mentioned "my quilt club" as they refer to you all as the most generous people. Thank you all. I posted the letter last night that the hospital sent us for thank you's as well.
THe coconut, pineapple walnut cake was a hit for the desert table. Since the wives are all incapacitated, I was glad I brought something.
Today I will try the ham in the crockpot that was posted this week. That should be easy.
We drove into Asheville yesterday and went to one of the Shriners homes. His daughter (age 24) offered to drive us the rest of the way to the party. That was very nice. Eventhough we can, driving in city traffic at night puts our nerves on end. However, she was being so kind, she had the heat up all the way in the vehicle and blowing on me and today I woke up with a raspy throat and voice. Hope it doesn't turn into worse. I have a small cough that I am attributing to drying out of my mucus membranes.
Its warmer this morning. Rainy but I'll take that.
Wishing you blessings this week. God bless you all

cv quilter
December 18th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Sounds like a wonderful evening, Terry. You deserve the recognition for ALL you do!!

Coconut/pineapple/walnut cake...YUM! Special recipe??

MissMay
December 18th, 2017, 12:06 PM
THE BIG RUSH IS ON SO I'VE SCALED DOWN MY "TO DO"LIST AND ALL WILL BE OK BECAUSE GETTING TOGETHER IS WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT.

DGD C and her DH are making lasagna and meat balls for Christmas dinner so I'll make a green salad and dressing along with an antipasto tray and DS#1 will bring a dessert. DGD C has been doing Christmas dinner for the past 6 years since it has become too much for me. Her and her DH love to cook and we and her parents love to eat so it's a happy exchange for all. This year her parents, DS#2 and DIL, will be in New Orleans with their other DD , her DH and their 1st grandchild who will be 2 in Feb.

Had a gift wrapping marathon on Friday, DS#2 and DIL visited on Sat. and put our tree up for us, DH and I slept Sunday away so now I'm ready to finish up as our friends are coming over for lunch tomorrow afternoon. Nothing fancy, I'm making soup and they are bringing sandwiches so we'll have a nice relaxing visit and talk the day away..

Cathy F
December 18th, 2017, 02:44 PM
THE BIG RUSH IS ON SO I'VE SCALED DOWN MY "TO DO"LIST AND ALL WILL BE OK BECAUSE GETTING TOGETHER IS WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT.

DGD C and her DH are making lasagna and meat balls for Christmas dinner so I'll make a green salad and dressing along with an antipasto tray and DS#1 will bring a dessert. DGD C has been doing Christmas dinner for the past 6 years since it has become too much for me. Her and her DH love to cook and we and her parents love to eat so it's a happy exchange for all. This year her parents, DS#2 and DIL, will be in New Orleans with their other DD , her DH and their 1st grandchild who will be 2 in Feb.

Had a gift wrapping marathon on Friday, DS#2 and DIL visited on Sat. and put our tree up for us, DH and I slept Sunday away so now I'm ready to finish up as our friends are coming over for lunch tomorrow afternoon. Nothing fancy, I'm making soup and they are bringing sandwiches so we'll have a nice relaxing visit and talk the day away..

Soup, sandwiches, and friends sound like the making of a perfect day, enjoy!

KPH
December 18th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Well, it's afternoon and we're done with the grocery shopping. Dinner is planned, a microwave entre, that we can't have when DS#1 is over.

We were supposed to go pick up the youngest grands from Nana's this morning. That plan was nixed when the homeschooler got sick and threw up all over the place. He's staying at home with his dad. lol, wonderful way to start his Christmas vacation. With the change in plans, we went ahead and picked up everything else we needed for the Christmas Eve get together. We'll all go to church for what the pastor called the Carol Story Service. There's not going to be a candle light service this year. We'll have early dinner (lupper- is what DSs called it when they were little). Presents for the in-laws and one for the grands is allowed on Christmas Eve. DIL has to work Christmas Day, not sure what the plans are past our meal. I guess one day someone will tell us.

I'm just about finished with the Christmas story for this year. Maybe, it will be done by Sunday at the rate I'm going.

I can't believe we went over to the shopping center and I didn't go to JoAnne's to pet the fabric. I guess there's just too much on my plate right now. I'm sure something will be coming out as soon as Christmas is done.

You all pray for my MIL. My SIL is being a total jerk. She offered to have Christmas at her house, but only family could come. My MIL has had the big todo for decades. BIL was upset, but trying to keep the peace, MIL was pissed and almost said she'd do it. Two of her dearest friend's daughters volunteered to do it at their parents house. Their parents aren't able to do a big shindig either. I know the girls will do a great job. So MIL and BIL are going out to the friends and all is calm, until SIL tells why she didn't want to have folks over. She wouldn't have any left overs, and she didn't want to cook Christmas day. I think it's a good thing I'm staying in FL and not heading to IN. this Christmas. DH isn't happy, and I know BIL is probably pissed off too. lol, shouldn't be surprised. We were up there last Christmas. She didn't invite us over the whole time we were there. She thought we'd put down her brother and his partner. Insert eye rolls, sighs and holy cows here. I told DH, I'm done with her. Just done.

Well, the peanut butter fudge isn't going to make itself. Best get back to the kitchen. Have a wonderful and creative day. Prayers for those that are in need. Praying for healing and quick recoveries so everyone can have a peaceful Christmas season.

grammaterry
December 18th, 2017, 10:27 PM
Sounds like a wonderful evening, Terry. You deserve the recognition for ALL you do!!

Coconut/pineapple/walnut cake...YUM! Special recipe??
coconut cake recipe in Joy of cooking but added 2 cups pureed pineapple. The filling was from the internet but I used pineapple juice instead of water to cook it down then added walnuts and coconut.
Frosting is buttercream with 8 oz cream cheese added.

cv quilter
December 19th, 2017, 10:42 AM
Terry, this sounds heavenly. I'll have to look for the recipe. I can almost taste it! :)