PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Greetings!

toggpine
December 17th, 2017, 07:07 AM
I'm such a late night owl that I have become the early bird!

My week was busier at school than I had anticipated. Therefore, I did not get as much painting done after school as I had hoped. Now I have to make up that time somewhere! I have the rest of the kitchen and the master bed and bath to finish, and all of the celings in the house will finally be white instead of Manila-file-folder beige. There are still walls to paint, but the celings were the yuckiest part, so they came first. I will have to go back for a different paint color tomorrow. The pale green has turned into the green of chocolate chip mint ice cream. Not very appealing with the other colors we have in the room. I'm giving it until after my morning coffee to make the absolute decision. I'm pretty sure there is a stop at HomeDepot on the horizon.

I am on winter break, so that will help some too.

I hope you are all getting your days off to a good start! I'm off to tuck in the nest for a bit before more painting.
Hugs, Cathy

Bubby
December 17th, 2017, 08:19 AM
Hi Cathy...You sure are a night owl. I'm usually the only one up at this hour.

We just repainted all of the ceilings and walls in one of our apartments. Ceilings aren't fun even when you use the pink paint that turns white when it dries. Sometimes I have to scrub ceilings and if they were painted with the 'pink' paint the pink will come back but just until it dries.

It's sprinkling rain this morning but unless it picks up it won't do any good. We have gone nearly 3 months without a drop of rain. We are under a Don't Burn Order until further notice.

I have all my little Christmas gifts done and I ran out of cards almost a week ago. Cathy I'm sorry if I missed sending you a card. I know I missed several but it wasn't intentional. I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas and New Year. I wish I could send you an elf that would finish painting all your rooms.

Have a wonderful day.....

kimsophia
December 17th, 2017, 08:45 AM
I've been up since 8:30 last night and am hoping to make it to early church before I go back to bed. I think I need to nuke my second cup of coffee, the afternoon cup. :) The sick cat is eating and drinking a bit more, so that's encouraging. He seems to enjoy hanging out in the quiet downstairs. Although the only noise upstairs currently is two keyboards clicking and the Netflix "Fireplace for Your Home" log crackling on the TV.

The Bulls have won five straight games! Woooo!

Back to cross stitching on the nativity set...

JCY
December 17th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Good Morning ~ Such early birds you guys are! I didn't have much time to chat yest. Busy day. In the a.m., I went to Super Walmart for several prescriptions. (I'm getting everything we need before the end of the year. The $400. deductible begins again in Jan.) I'm trying to get a new glucose meter. Mine died Fri. a.m. It just quit; new batteries made no difference. It was only 3 yrs., 3 mos. old. I think my previous meter lasted ~5 yrs. Waiting to see if Medicare will pay for it. I need a meter even if I have to pay out of pocket for it. Walked all over WM looking for those colored toothpicks. Finally determined they were out of stock. Then on to another groc. store to buy beets. I went home for lunch, then it was on to the LQS, which was having its annual Christmas open house with goodies. I didn't stay long. No sales I was interested in. They may have a better sale after Christmas & before New Years. Back home to put the beets on to cook. It made 8 freezer containers.

Fri. eve. I was having quilting withdrawal, so I started the FMQ on my Anne of Green Gables table runner. It has 5 (12") blocks. I finished the center block & did part of another. I'm using the same quilting pattern as on those mini quilts I gifted. I hope to work on it more this afternoon.

The Christmas cards are starting to arrive. I always enjoying hearing from folks that we seldom hear from except at Christmas.

This a.m. is church. The weather forecast was for "frizzle" (freezing drizzle) this a.m. I don't see any evidence of it yet. I hope it holds off till I get home. I hope everyone has a good day.

Monique
December 17th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Good morning from the frigid north this morning. Yes it is another very cold day here. Yesterday I got away and pretty well finished up the last of the Christmas shopping. Les had his Christmas staff party last night and I am happy that we were home before 11. He feels so much for it this morning. I think he has something planned for today but I am not sure what it is.

I experimented with the attic window block and made a very small mini quilt I guess you could say. It is sandwiched and ready to finish. The elephant wall hanging is ready for hand quilting as is the row by row wall hanging for my brother.

Have a great day everyone. Stay warm, stay safe.

shermur
December 17th, 2017, 10:14 AM
The temp this morning is -3; the high today is forecasted as 20 degrees....WOW!
I will try to stay in today and get some stuff done; I have been working so much overtime lately and it seems unappreciated. Not to mention I caught my boss lying to me on Friday.
And of course, the step-daughter is planning our lives for the next 3 weeks. Their "Solstice" dinner/gifts (Yikes) and 3 birthdays between 12/22/17 to Jan 6th. Not to mention there's two more birthdays in Missouri I am missing on Jan 31st.
It is times of hectic chaos and stress, that I just want to close the door to my sewing room and tell everyone to leave me ALONE!

KPH
December 17th, 2017, 11:02 AM
You all are really early, Cathy. I've decided that the great room/ kitchen will be painted by someone else! We did the rest of the rooms. I think someone else deserves to have some fun.

DS#2 had to be at work at 6, so he hit the kitchen before he left. Needless to say the kitchen in right outside our bedroom. It really doesn't matter how quiet he is, it's going to wake us up.

DH wanted fudge. So after our failed shopping spree, I decided to make some fudge. I was concerned about using this stove, it does have some weird quirks. I used the front left burner, not the one that has the 'fast start feature'. It was a good move. It's some of the best fudge I've made in years. Having a thermometer that was quick reading and not quick cutting off helped too.

Going to church this morning. DS#1 is teaching Sunday School this week and in 2 weeks he'll be preaching again. He's already off for Christmas break. Must be nice to have 3 weeks of winter break. Back home, they're having a week and a half this year.

Barb, thanks so much for the Christmas card and treats. I placed them on the Christmas tree. It will be fun watching the kids. Every time they come over, they look for new ornaments. I wonder how long it will take them to find the sewing machine! It has a place of honor beside my 'Sherry Squirrel'.

I'm thinking about making toffee this afternoon. I guess it will depend on the weather. The grocery list is ready for Christmas Eve dinner, but that's not happening this weekend.

Well, time to get busy! I need to eat a little something before we leave for church. Lifting those in need in prayer.

I hope everyone has a wonderfully creative day!

grammaterry
December 17th, 2017, 11:58 AM
I feel like a real slacker this morning. Ate some citrus spice pecans last night (more than I should have) and could not digest them. I got up at 3am to expel them and DH was sure I had the flu. I assured him it was gas. he is such a crisis seeker.
Oh, Cathy, I need to paint ceilings and walls and I'm miserable just looking at them, but I must wait until winter subsides. What with heating with wood, I would have ash imbedded in the paint and it would all be for naught.
Katrina , you sound like you made a great batch of candy. It is so fun to make candy and cookies this time of year, especially if you have someone to eat it. DH is doing a good job eating the things I've made. Yesterday, I asked if he liked butterscotch candy and he said he did and I said I'd make some and he said, wait a few days...we have plenty of treats....
I made some interesting thick pork chops last night. A spice rub marinade of cloves, nutmeg, mace, paprika, thyme, cinnamon and white pepper. Let sit for 2-3 hours in the fridge then sear in a hot oiled pan on each side, place in a covered baking dish and bake for 30 min per lb or 1 hour until done. Gosh they were good.
My phone just beeped a text and I couldn't find it anywhere. I thought I left it in the kitchen...been searching...found it in my coat pocket on a hook in the hall. Left it there on my way back from sewing last night. DH put a motion sensor light up outside the workshop so I could sew until after dark (it was on my Christmas wish list) and I put the phone in my pocket to bring in a load of fire wood. Oh my forgetful mind.
Have a great day. Tonight is our Shriner Christmas party. I really want to dress up for the occasion but I think I might feel stupid in a cocktail dress after all these years. We'll see.

pcbatiks
December 17th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Good morning everyone.

We are having our Christmas get together in my family this afternoon/evening. Everyone will be at my parents house for a meal, gifts and tons of snacks & desserts. They live less than a mile away.....so no long commute for us. :D We decided to draw names this year so only a couple of gifts to bring. I made 2 kinds of cookies yesterday and will make a cheese ball & cheese nip mix to bring. We are having pork roast, mashed potatoes & cheese souffle for supper.......yummy! One thing is sure........we won't starve.

Hope you all have a great day.

toggpine
December 17th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Hi Cathy...You sure are a night owl. I'm usually the only one up at this hour.

We just repainted all of the ceilings and walls in one of our apartments. Ceilings aren't fun even when you use the pink paint that turns white when it dries.

I have all my little Christmas gifts done and I ran out of cards almost a week ago. Cathy I'm sorry if I missed sending you a card. I know I missed several but it wasn't intentional. I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas and New Year. I wish I could send you an elf that would finish painting all your rooms.

Have a wonderful day.....

We couldn't get the pink ceiling paint in the 5 gallon bucket. We must have the best ceilings ever. I haven't had too much trouble painting them. The kitchen will be more tricky because of the cabinets and Eric's shot glass collection of nearly 300. The clean white ceilings make a huge difference already!

Don't worry about the card. I'm not getting any of them sent out this year, unless they make it for New Years. Not highly likely. You have enough on your plate dear heart. My snowflake will make the trip from the sewing room to the tree on Monday, and that is all I need to remind me of my sweet M* friend!

Off to run the child to Nana's, stop at Home Depot for some repair paint, then back to the fun!

Simply Quilting
December 18th, 2017, 02:30 AM
White ceilings do make a huge difference. It was not until we had our house painted that we found out that we didn't have white ceilings - we do now. Most likely, the ceilings were never painted to start with.