PDA

View Full Version : Some people just won't let the summer go!

Carlie Wolf
December 16th, 2017, 09:07 PM
So I was looking out my window around 4PM and what to my wondering eyes do appear? My neighbor out back riding on his lawn mower. I realize he really does love working on his yard, he has a love affair with it. Nice guy too. But as I recall it's mid December, the last 5 days except yesterday, we had wind, we had temps in the 20's and snow flurries almost every day. I've got to hand it to the guy...that's really love. Oh but along with his bermuda shorts he did have on a ski cap :-)

Sandy Navas
December 16th, 2017, 09:13 PM
I am so laughing at that. We had a bitter cold here last week (lasted about half an hour) and went out to lunch. Me in a t-shirt and everyone in the place was wondering why I didn't have a coat on. Some of us come with internal furnaces.

KPH
December 16th, 2017, 09:27 PM
Oh geez! lol, just the thought of someone on the riding lawnmower with short and a ski cap, makes me laugh. It reminds me of my son when he went to his Grandma's in IN for Christmas. He flew up after classes let out, he left in shorts and flip flops. Got to Indy, and there was a foot of snow on the ground. Good thing he packed some pants!

Hulamoon
December 16th, 2017, 09:35 PM
That's funny, but normal over here. The guy next door mows his lawn or weed wacks every other day. If you drive around on Christmas day so many people are mowing their lawns. Is that the only day off they have?

grammaterry
December 16th, 2017, 09:48 PM
I wish you had snapped a picture. That was a funny image in my mind

Carlie Wolf
December 16th, 2017, 09:59 PM
Sandy I use to have one of those internal furnaces too but now the pilot light is out :-(

Angelia
December 16th, 2017, 10:09 PM
Maybe vacuuming leaves?

snippet
December 16th, 2017, 11:05 PM
That is so funny!

My dad used to call his brother in Kansas City every Christmas and tell him about how we are grilling outside and if he needs help shoveling snow.

Carlie Wolf
December 16th, 2017, 11:58 PM
Angelia, actually he was out there about a week ago on his front lawn with a blower for a while. Not sure it it was the dusting of snow or a few left over fall leaves :-)

Midge
December 17th, 2017, 01:52 AM
Geez! We had an Alberta Clipper earlier in the week followed by our notorious 'lake effect' snowstorms, and so all week long the wind has been wicked and the wind chills in the single digits. I'm bundled up with my Cuddl Duds under my jeans and turtleneck shirts under my sweaters. Walking the dog has become an exercise in endurance, not an enjoyable break in the day as it usually is. And yes, I shoveled my steps and walk after we got 6" of snow. So, that's about enough winter, lol, and I'm ready for a warmup.

BTW, I no longer have a reliable internal furnace either, but, I found a new product I absolutely love and they are so so warm. It's socks by Smartwool. Now you will say, no way, too itchy. I did. Hah, that was incorrect. These are the most awesome socks ever, and I do mean ever. Lot's of weights available, too, from regular cable knit which are plenty warm up through knee high type of hiking and ski socks. Yes, they are pricy. But the value is there. I'm going to get a new pair every month over the winter and replace the socks I hate. And, they have three size levels for women, so if you are like me, there is a pair to really fit you.

Mary Lynn
December 17th, 2017, 08:45 AM
My husband is obsessive about his lawn. He wouldn’t be in shorts, but would be out cutting grass very late in the fall. This year I think he cut the grass the last time mid November & then left for Florida the next day.

Midge I hear you about the Alberta clipper & winter since it hit here as well. It has been a cold snowy week. I have found I can’t keep my feet warm. I finished knitting socks for GS for Christmas & think I will knit some for myself next. He says the socks I make him are so warm.

Georgie Girl
December 17th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Geez! We had an Alberta Clipper earlier in the week followed by our notorious 'lake effect' snowstorms, and so all week long the wind has been wicked and the wind chills in the single digits. I'm bundled up with my Cuddl Duds under my jeans and turtleneck shirts under my sweaters. Walking the dog has become an exercise in endurance, not an enjoyable break in the day as it usually is. And yes, I shoveled my steps and walk after we got 6" of snow. So, that's about enough winter, lol, and I'm ready for a warmup.

BTW, I no longer have a reliable internal furnace either, but, I found a new product I absolutely love and they are so so warm. It's socks by Smartwool. Now you will say, no way, too itchy. I did. Hah, that was incorrect. These are the most awesome socks ever, and I do mean ever. Lot's of weights available, too, from regular cable knit which are plenty warm up through knee high type of hiking and ski socks. Yes, they are pricy. But the value is there. I'm going to get a new pair every month over the winter and replace the socks I hate. And, they have three size levels for women, so if you are like me, there is a pair to really fit you.

That's funny I just bought some of those socks from Zully. My DD told me about them how great they are. Yes they are wonderful. Bought a sports pair too for the gym. Now I just have to get back to the gym to see how they are. I like the look and feel of those because they are thinner then regular sports socks soft and absorbent.

Georgie Girl
December 17th, 2017, 09:27 AM
My DH is a very routine person. He insists the grass needs to be cut every 2 weeks. Doesn't matter if we had a drought and the grass is brown or if it rained for 2 weeks. Well because of his health he cannot cut the grass anymore. A nice neighbor said he would try but is scared of the hill. So am I. DH is still squawking about the 2 week schedule but since I have to pay someone it's now on my schedule.

Carlie Wolf
December 17th, 2017, 11:12 AM
Midge, I'll have to give them a try too. Years ago I found a mohair/wool sock that I loved, warm and silky. I haven't thought of them in years until you mentioned the Smartwool ones. I believe it was thermohair and a weaving company in Canada I used was marketing them. I think they were around $19 but well worth it. That was back in the 80's. I was just looking on the net and I believe I found them again and looks like they got bigger since the 80's Anyway here's the link. Looks like they are running in the mid $20-$30 range but I'd certainly purchase them again! I'm going to try those Smartwool socks too, I always have icy feet :-) http://www.thermohair.com/Socks_c_1.html

Midge
December 17th, 2017, 12:21 PM
Midge, I'll have to give them a try too. Years ago I found a mohair/wool sock that I loved, warm and silky. I haven't thought of them in years until you mentioned the Smartwool ones. I believe it was thermohair and a weaving company in Canada I used was marketing them. I think they were around $19 but well worth it. That was back in the 80's. I was just looking on the net and I believe I found them again and looks like they got bigger since the 80's Anyway here's the link. Looks like they are running in the mid $20-$30 range but I'd certainly purchase them again! I'm going to try those Smartwool socks too, I always have icy feet :-) http://www.thermohair.com/Socks_c_1.html

Thanks for the tip about the Thermohair socks. They sound nice, too. I will definitely try some and see how they work for me. A terrible price to pay for socks, but if your feet aren’t comfortable it’s miserable.

pewa88
December 17th, 2017, 01:51 PM
LOL. Must some sort of therapy for him. Good comic relief.