PDA

View Full Version : Well Friday has arrived

Monique
December 15th, 2017, 08:31 AM

It is another extremely cold day here. Hubby has already left for his big day in the city. He is going Christmas shopping. I won't expect anything quilty from him, he doesn't think I need anything of the sort. It is what it is.

I managed to finish off machine appliqueing the elephant yesterday. It really comes together quite fast. Now to sandwich it and quilt and send to its new owner.

Tomorrow is a busy day, it is a trifecta day. We have a tree hunting party, a hockey game and Les' Christmas party. I will the the DD (no not the daily deal or dear daughter, LOL). That way I will feel good on Sunday, we shall see how Les fairs out.

Rant: I asked my daughter-in-law if she received my Christmas card. NO REPLY! I am so done and so hurt by her silence. I give up. Rant over.

So that's it for me. Have a wonderful day friends. And a great weekend.

Star lover
December 15th, 2017, 08:44 AM
Knew those old padded bras were good for something!

Wow, Monique, you're really busy! Yup, let it roll off, she ain't worth it!

Been struggling making nightgowns for my GD's. Pattern said 1-3/4 yatds each, so I rounded up, 2 yds, total of 4. Well it's suppose to be 44-45" wide. Nope! 41-1/2" wide. Since I've haven't sewn in some time, I took my time and fooled with the lay out. Good thing I did. Discovered that nothing was going to work like the pattern said. The skirt part is 2 pieces, each on a fold. It was to be folded with the salvages meeting in the middle. Not wide enough. Thankfully I rounded up and they cut me an extra 4". I'm going to need every inch. But I had to trim off 1/2" off the length. Hope they're not too short.
Not sure what was going on. It was good fabric. Windham....

Continued prayers for Sugar and her DH John.
Also for Pat and MM.

And prayers for Judy (Judy USMC). Today she has surgery (endarterectomy) to clear a partially blocked carotid artery. She's been through a lot lately.

For all who are struggling.....

Love, hugs and prayers.

NanaMaggie
December 15th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Howling here - love Maxine!

Binding to finish on last table runner, I will be so thankful to have it finished. Eldest DGD will take me fabric shopping this afternoon - yay, she will push the wheelchair - for a dress for a younger DGD that wants to sew. Found a pattern for a wrap around dress that will be super easy for her to make with a little guidance. She is into neon green, this may be a challenge.

Have a wonderful Friday y'all!! Hugs,

shermur
December 15th, 2017, 08:52 AM
Wow...it is 2 degrees here in Rutland, Vermont! I am not used to this cold of weather! This first winter in Vermont is going to kick my butt!

I am still trying to organize my quilt room after 4.5 months! It is slowly getting there. The new quilt guild I joined doesn't meet in December and January...bummer.

The new job is starting to be a huge regret! I'll keep my eyes peeled for something better?

Bubby
December 15th, 2017, 09:11 AM
Good Morning Everyone....Sorry about your DIL's ignorance...I know it hurts.

It's bitter cold so far this morning but at least we have no wind. I may try to make a flying trip to WalMart after the sun comes up. I need to finish cleaning today. We have to work in Cuba tomorrow. Jeff needs to use the hammer drill to attach some molding onto concrete. The loud noise makes Dottie scream (it hurts her ears) so I found a tenant who will watch her for an hour in her apartment.

My sewing machine is wondering what's wrong....no activity for a few days. I promised to make Jeff a rice bag that will be used to sink the butts of his rifles to stabilize them while he is sighting the fronts. This should be a simple sew....but you know how sometimes the simple ones give you the most trouble. It took me a while to find the right metal zipper. He also wants our business logo embroidered on the top. So now it sounds not all that simple!

Wishing everyone a great day....10 more sleeps until Christmas....

CraftyBarb
December 15th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Good morning. Well it's 10 degrees here..brrr. Need to see if I can get my car started today. Would not start yesterday and the jumpers were not working. It was to cold to stand out there and figure out why. Not sure if I want to sit down and cry or scream. Neighbors will see you out there but no stops to ask if you need help. So I will go out later and try the jumpers again.
Need to get breakfast just not sure what I want. Maybe pancakes, eggs and a cup of tea.

KPH
December 15th, 2017, 09:19 AM
It's been an interesting morning so far. Woke by what we thought was thunder shaking the house. Wasn't thunder. Looked out the back window, there's a car a little further down the ramp that runs behind our house (from Merrill to the Southside connector). It was so dark we couldn't see anything else.

Now there's a police car, roll back, fire truck and ambulance.

DH went out and stood on the play set, in the pitch black raining dark to see a car hit one of the palm trees that the city planted several years before we moved in.

I guess since it's getting lighter, I'll get up and see what I can see now. BBL

Monique
December 15th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Wow...it is 2 degrees here in Rutland, Vermont! I am not used to this cold of weather! This first winter in Vermont is going to kick my butt!

I am still trying to organize my quilt room after 4.5 months! It is slowly getting there. The new quilt guild I joined doesn't meet in December and January...bummer.

The new job is starting to be a huge regret! I'll keep my eyes peeled for something better?

Sherri, you get used to the cold. When it is bitterly cold I won't venture outside. I am sorry about your job, hopefully something you like better will come along.

Lori63
December 15th, 2017, 09:25 AM
Morning all.

Monique, my sis has a DIL like that, she keeps trying where I think I would have given up a long time ago.

Anita, I hear what you are saying about the pattern. I don't think they make them like they used to. I've sewn for years but sometimes their instructions and illustrations don't make sense at all. I was making aprons a couple weeks ago and the illustration from one step to the other was clearly not the same piece. But, your issue is fabric, so hopefully you won't have any issues when it comes to the sewing part!

Sherri, sorry to hear about the job, hopefully something better will come along soon.

Last night about 10, DD2 called. She's got the flu and can I come pick up DGD? So I trudged out drove 30 minutes to her house, got the little one and brought her home. By the time we got to bed it was almost midnight. Today was supposed to be my day of sewing all day uninterrupted, but it looks like at least part will be spent taking care of DGD. Oh well, I love having her around, the Christmas gifts can wait!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Mimi_Howard
December 15th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Morning all. Air quality here still not good (from the Thomas fire). 2nd week of cancelled schools. Picked up grandkids from DIL parents house after work yesterday, 10 yr old traveling with his nebulizer (asthma and all). Anyway Em (8yr old) was checking out presents under tree, she kept finding ones NOT marked for her, she looked at me and asked... What's going on Mimi, am I on the naughty list? Prayers and hugs to all!

JCY
December 15th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Good Morning ~ Cold here, too, Down to 20 deg., but I see some of you are colder. That 1/2" of snow we had yest. all melted away after the sun came out. It's supposed to be close to 60 today. This thin air cools & heats rapidly. Another chance of snow Sat. night into Sun. a.m. I just don't want slippery roads for driving to church.

We put up our table Christmas tree yest. afternoon. I had wanted to wait until the cabinet/shelves behind the coffee table were dusted prior to setting up the tree, so that's where I started. My collection of music boxes & nick nacks are on those shelves, so it's always time consuming to dust. Got that done; the tree is up. Now it's looking like Christmas. I added Barb's embroidered sewing machine ornament to the tree. I received a Christmas card from Blondie which included a paper ornament which I also added to the tree.

Today I plan to cook up a large kettle of Anasazi beans for DH. I might run the vacuum. But now, DH is waiting for his breakfast.

KPH
December 15th, 2017, 10:15 AM
The flashing lights have all left. DH thinks the guy came down the ramp and slid off the side of the ramp into the tree. In other words, the roads were slick and he was going too fast. DH thinks there must have been some gas spilt since the fire dept stayed after everyone else had left. I hope the tree isn't damaged to the point it will die, especially since it saved our back fence. I'm pretty sure I didn't want company in our back yard like our neighbors had the other week.

We kept the kids last night while DS#1 and DIL went to his Christmas party. We took the kids to Smash Burger for dinner. Everyone cleaned their baskets. Z at a 1 1/2 finished his hamburger, bun and fries quicker than his big sister. That boy enjoys meal time! We got them home, the older kids wanted to color.... nobody knew where the crayons were. So then the tears started. I found the kitchen scissors and started cutting snow flakes with the paper I'd gotten out of the printer. Crisis averted. Nobody wanted to go to bed, but we got them down. DH wanted to watch TV... for a 1/2 hour he tried everything... the fire stick was on, there's a pin number to get to any of the programs. sigh, so there was a lot of silence.

We did get one thing done. I've been telling DH I wanted a piece of granite on the top of the TV cabinet that we bought for our kitchen storage. He's not been hearing me. I don't care if it matches the rest of the kitchen. It's a different piece of furniture we're modifying for the kitchen. Since the sides of the cabinet are laminate, I want him to put black formica on them (kid proofing). The doors are real wood and cover the sides of the cabinets so the formica won't show from the front. I want those painted, not the white like the cabinets in the kitchen that are worn out and the laminate is peeling off. We're going to have to have new cabinets in the kitchen anyway. Even though I've been telling him since we moved in, it's like he's never heard anything. lol, just like when we were buying the plexiglass for the top of the cabinet, and I said why don't we just go and see if someone has a remnant of a slab of granite and he went to look at formica counter tops. sigh. He has one thing on his mind and that's all he thinks about. I think he gets it now... but he slept, he might have forgotten by now!

We had the cardinal female come by yesterday. J got to see her through the sliding glass doors. I asked him if he knew how I knew she was out there. He didn't, I told him they peep when they come to visit. He started listening and heard her. We'll see if he remembers, as he tends to talk non stop! He did a really good job of describing her to E when we were driving them in the car to dinner. I was impressed with all of the details he gave her. For a five year old boy... the bird had a round, fluffy brown body, and her beak was really orange....

Well, I'm going to start planning a Christmas Eve menu. The butternut squash is already roasted and in the freezer. That will be an easy finish. The roast beef is in the freezer. So, it's starting to come together. Cookies are just about done, I need to make some fudge.

Our prayer list seems to be growing, and all will be lifted in prayer.

I hope everyone has a creative day and weekend!

Navy Wife
December 15th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Not so cold here this morning. Sherri, now you understand why all the folks in Vermont go south for the winter! I love to spend summers there, but winters are too bitter. It is a beautiful state, so enjoy the snow and cold, and take lots of pictures.

I think I might be catching a cold today. I hope not. We are taking the boys and wives to Pigeon Forge for the Dixie Stampede Christmas Show tomorrow. Should be a good day.

Still trying to finish my ancient UFO. Maybe today will be the day. Have a good day all!

grammaterry
December 15th, 2017, 12:00 PM
DIL's can be a real challenge. I know mine (actually a 5 yr live in situation) is. They just seem cold toward us sometimes. I have tried so hard, but it is hard when they don't want to like us.
Yes, our prayer list is huge this year. God will listen, especially when we are all together.
Sherri, I feel your pain. I know you thought this move would make things better. Perhaps with time, the job will level out. People are different in different parts of the country and sometimes we just have to get used to their different sense of humor.
Working on the window covers. I think they are coming along. THe applique is getting easier. I don't know why I was so afraid to try it all these years.
DH says he is stiff this morning from moving wood from one woodpile to the other one closer to the house. I wake up stiff almost every morning but a hot bath usually make s it go away.
Have a great day everyone

SuzanneOrleansOntario
December 15th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Good morning ladies.
Well life seems to go on, and totally ignoring the fact that Christmas is coming and that we would like to focus on our priority of quilting.
Winter arrived on Tuesday with a blast and snow that will be here until springtime. It was -30 Celsius on Wednesday. I hate the cold. I just want to hunker down and sew, but I have to start making food for xmas. Years ago, we had our xmas a week early. That way everyone could be there and not committed to their other side of family. Also we realized that the grandkids were fresh and not cranky from Dec 24th Eve, xmas brunch. So this year we are hosting our children and grandchildren and friends on Saturday, Dec 23rd. It will be quiet after that, as they will be busy visiting the ex- families and other relatives. I will be able to go have a meal at my mom's residence, as she prefers not to go out in the cold. She's 94. My daughter and family have already done their holiday visit, as well as my son. She does miss seeing our cats, so we may bring them to see her on a warmer day. Going to wrap xmas gifts today. That way I can see what, who I need to buy for.

MissMay
December 15th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Began wrapping yesterday, wrapped gifts for CA and 2 packages are ready for mailing. We'll stop at PO on the way to food shopping.

DH has been sick this week so everything has been delayed. DS#2 and DIL will be over tomorrow to exchange gifts as they will be at their DD's in New Orleans for Christmas. Wonder if DIL can bring our gifts with them? I'll soften her up with her favorite soup for lunch before I ask her. Maybe not as this isn't a good season to ask favors from DILs, ask me I've had 4.

Had a little snow fall during the night, 20 degrees out this morning so DH better hurry and get ready to go shopping while the sun is warming things up a bit. Hope everyone gets their stuff done today without too much stress.

KPH
December 15th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Morning wreck up date. With the fence that runs along the back yard, we really can't see over to see the damage. We went to Michaels and I asked DH to drive up the ramp so we could see what happened. I hope the guy/ gal driving the SUV is feeling alright because that huge palm tree isn't. It's down for the count! No damage to our property as such. I'm glad the palm tree was there. I hope they get it replaced!

MaryUK
December 15th, 2017, 10:31 PM
We had a slightly warmer day but we don't have the temperatures you all seem to have so cold to us is -2C.

We went out for our annual Christmas dinner with some friends, we usually go in the evening but since I have retired and DH and our friends retired a while ago it seemed more sensible to have lunch out instead. It was a full Christmas dinner although we couldn't manage dessert!!

I have spent the rest of the day tidying my sewing room. Whilst part of it is dedicated to sewing, I also knit, crochet, make cards and scrapbook so the rest of the room is dedicated to those crafts. It had got sew messy and other family members have been using it as a dumping ground so earlier in the week I decided enough was enough. DH bought me a new unit from IKEA along with a new trolley so I am able to get more organised.

I should have been sewing but the mess was like an elephant in the room so something had to be done. I will be back to sewing tomorrow after I bake 8 dozen mince pies for family and church. I intend getting the Christmas decorations up on Sunday between church in the morning and the Carol Service in the evening. It will leave me nearly a full week to complete the sewing and present wrapping. That's the plan any way!!!