PDA

View Full Version : Thursday's Tantalizing Trivia

Star lover
December 14th, 2017, 08:10 AM
Well .....

Christmas Traditions from Around the World:

Giant Lantern Festival, Philippines: The Giant Lantern Festival (Ligligan Parul Sampernandu) is held each year on the Saturday before Christmas Eve in the city of San Fernando – the “Christmas Capital of the Philippines.” The festival attracts spectators from all over the country and across the globe. Eleven barangays (villages) take part in the festival and competition is fierce as everyone pitches in trying to build the most elaborate lantern.

Originally, the lanterns were simple creations around half a metre in diameter, made from ‘papel de hapon’ (Japanese origami paper) and lit by candle. Today, the lanterns are made from a variety of materials and have grown to around six metres in size. They are illuminated by electric bulbs that sparkle in a kaleidoscope of patterns.

Gävle Goat, Sweden: Since 1966, a 13-metre-tall Yule Goat has been built in the center of Gävle’s Castle Square for the Advent, but this Swedish Christmas tradition has unwittingly led to another “tradition” of sorts – people trying to burn it down. Since 1966 the Goat has been successfully burned down 29 times – the most recent destruction was in 2016.

Krampus, Austria: A beast-like demon creature that roams city streets frightening kids and punishing the bad ones – nope, this isn’t Halloween, but St. Nicholas’ evil accomplice, Krampus.

In Austrian tradition, St. Nicholas rewards nice little boys and girls, while Krampus is said to capture the naughtiest children and whisk them away in his sack. In the first week of December, young men dress up as the Krampus (especially on the eve of St. Nicholas Day) frightening children with clattering chains and bells.

Kentucky Fried Christmas Dinner, Japan: Christmas has never been a big deal in Japan. Aside from a few small, secular traditions such as gift-giving and light displays, Christmas remains largely a novelty in the country. However, a new, quirky “tradition” has emerged in recent years – a Christmas Day feast of the Colonel’s very own Kentucky Fried Chicken.

The festive menu will soon be advertized on the KFC Japan website and, even if you don’t understand Japanese, the pictures sure will look delicious with everything from a Christmas-themed standard bucket to a premium roast-bird feast.

The Yule Lads, Iceland: In the 13 days leading up to Christmas, 13 tricksy troll-like characters come out to play in Iceland.

The Yule Lads (jólasveinarnir or jólasveinar in Icelandic) visit the children across the country over the 13 nights leading up to Christmas. For each night of Yuletide, children place their best shoes by the window and a different Yule Lad visits leaving gifts for nice girls and boys and rotting potatoes for the naughty ones.

Clad in traditional Icelandic costume, these fellas are pretty mischievous, and their names hint at the type of trouble they like to cause: Stekkjastaur (Sheep-Cote Clod), Giljagaur (Gully Gawk), Stúfur (Stubby), Ţvörusleikir (Spoon-Licker), Pottaskefill (Pot-Scraper), Askasleikir (Bowl-Licker), Hurđaskellir (Door-Slammer), Skyrgámur (Skyr-Gobbler), Bjúgnakrćkir (Sausage-Swiper), Gluggagćgir (Window-Peeper), Gáttaţefur (Doorway-Sniffer), Ketkrókur (Meat-Hook) and Kertasníkir (Candle-Stealer). Visit Iceland this Christmas and catch them all!

To be continued......

Vonnie
December 14th, 2017, 09:54 AM
So interesting to see the different traditions!

Bubby
December 14th, 2017, 09:57 AM
That was interesting. That Krampus character would be scary for kids....maybe even adults.

Star lover
December 14th, 2017, 10:03 AM
He'd scare me too. Not sure what's going on with the font. I double checked and I could read everything clearly. Even after posting.....since revisiting it....wow, what a mess! Sorry, no way to fix it now.

KPH
December 14th, 2017, 10:11 AM
Nothing to be sorry for, Anita! It looks fine here!

You've pulled somethings I hadn't heard of before. It's always cool to see how different places do different things.

Bouse
December 14th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Love this thanks. I quite often tell my kids (aged 4 and 8) how other people celebrate Christmas. You're making it very easy for me this year.

Lori63
December 14th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Interesting...that Krampus would scare me into being good!

Hulamoon
December 14th, 2017, 12:17 PM
One that I did know is that in the Jewish culture they have Chinese food because it's the only restaurants open. Probably McDonalds though. lol

NanaMaggie
December 14th, 2017, 02:32 PM
I love the lanterns, makes me want to knit a few tams! Our world is full of amazing things, thanks for bringing this to us!!

Anitamae56
December 14th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Thank you!! Very, very interesting. Krampus would make me be very good!