PDA

View Full Version : Thursday hellos!

Monique
December 14th, 2017, 06:29 AM

Good morning friends. We are in a deep freeze up here! I HATE this cold weather. So it will be about -22F today with the windchill. That's freaking cold. I am not going anywhere today that is for sure. This cold snap won't last forever. Warmer temps are coming.

I was out yesterday. Took my laptop over to the library to download a bunch of movies and shows. I started another elephant wall hanging for a special friend. Will work on that today. I brought in a heater because it was cold in the sewing room. I guess my power bar didn't like it because it kept shutting off. And that's a good thing as I wouldn't want to start a fire. I have all my pieces ironed on, now to machine applique, sandwich and quilt.

Hubby is going out shopping tomorrow. He is also giving a ride to his friend whose girlfriend is in the hospital. I found a really nice T-Shirt for Greg with the Houston Astros Champions on it BUT the cost of shipping is almost the same price as the shirt. Hubby will look for one tomorrow in Ottawa.

So today's plan is to hunker down and stay warm.

Have yourselves an awesome day friends. And stay warm wherever you are.

Mary Lynn
December 14th, 2017, 07:25 AM
I didn’t leave the house yesterday. I couldn’t get warm all day. I turned the heat up but my sewing machine is in front of a window so I put an afgan over my knees as I sewed & it felt much better. Working on a wall hanging for DIL. I just have to bind it & put hanging sleeve on.

Today is supposed to be sunny so I will hit the road. We are building a new house next spring so I am going to look at hardwood flooring.

Star lover
December 14th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Good morning everyone!

I'm with ya Monique and Mary....not liken this cold AT ALL! We're hovering around 20'. At least it's warmed up from 12'. The weather guy was off on white stuff prediction. He said 3".....oh no, not 3", but 6" on top of what we already had. More today, but its suppose to be only a couple inches. Then a few more inches Friday. I give....please no more. I'm not going out, except later to shovel. Sigh....

Well today I hope to tackle the making of at least 1 girls nightgown. Been ages since I garment sewed, so this could be a new adventure. Love the fabric, like the pattern....so we'll see what happens.

Stay warm, stay safe and I hope everyone has a fanyastic day. Love and hugs for ALL! 

Bubby
December 14th, 2017, 09:03 AM
Morning Everyone...I'm really tired today. My eating got messed up yesterday and my blood sugar is bad today. I think I will lay around most of the day.

l need to plan some menus and figure out what baked treats to make this year.

Has anyone heard from Sugar? The last I heard she was going to the hospital to be with her DH.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day. I will check in later. Have a wonderful day......

CraftyBarb
December 14th, 2017, 09:03 AM
Good morning all. I was up at 6 am and out cleaning snow from the car and driveway. It was the light powdery snow so not to bad. As pretty as the snow is I hate having to shovel. There was an older gentleman down the street that would come over and do my driveway, porch and car. He never wanted anything in return and did it from the kindness of his heart. You don't find many that will do that. He would never take any money, so I started buying him a bottles of wine and would leave it on his porch with a thank you card. Sadly he has become to ill to do this anymore.
I don't have much of anything to do today, other then the normal chores..laundry, dishes..etc. No sewing again seem to not be in the mood right now. Maybe after the holidays.
Have a good everyone.

Georgie Girl
December 14th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Bubby are you sure it's your blood sugar? With all the gift giving you have been doing it could be gift exhaustion. You deserve a day of just laying around. I've been wondering about Sugar to. Her own health doesn't sound very good and now her husband. It must be a rough time.

JCY
December 14th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Good Morning ~ I'm here earlier than usual. I woke up at 4:20 & couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up at 4:50. Monique, you sure were up in the middle of the night! Did you go back to bed?

Yest. a.m. was Bible Study; we're now on Christmas break until Jan. 3. Afterwards, I had my usual quick Wendy's lunch, then it was on to Walmart for numerous items. Instead of making another stop for groc., I bought most of what was on my list at WM. Made a stop at Vitamin Cottage to restock my supply of Kombucha & spelt flour. The white spelt flour now is $4./lb. The brown spelt costs less. I was home by 1 p.m. I was tired from all my running around, so chilled out in the recliner for an hr.

We finally got some of the white stuff; it looks like 1/2" on the grassy areas with the streets just wet. It's in the 30's this a.m.

On the agenda today is mixing up my turkey patties; each batch makes enough for 3 wks.

Barb ~ blood sugar issues. Tues. night when I came home from the guild tea, my post prandial blood sugar was >200! It hasn't been that high in a long time. I'll have to be more careful about the sweets. Maybe stick with the cheese & crackers & more protein items. It's sure hard when there are so many goodies! Barb, take care of yourself.

I, too, have been wondering about Sugar. Usually when she goes a long time without posting it's because she's been in the hosp. again. She has a lot of health problems. I hope her husb. is on the mend from his pneumonia. He had to have been extremely ill if they put him on the vent. We need to keep praying for them.

I hope every has a good Thursday.

KPH
December 14th, 2017, 10:03 AM
Good Morning All,

Not going to say anything about the cold, but will extend an invitation to come visit. I have a feeling this is the time of year that I'm going to start to love in our new home.

Family dinner was fine, frustrating but fine. DS#1 made Sausage Bread in muffin tins after dinner. They were done, but not cooled before he had to get his family home so he could go to a meeting. He stopped back by after that to pick them up. Thank goodness he had extra because I didn't think about telling his brother he couldn't eat them because they were for his brother's students today. Oh well, he wasn't home, he didn't know any better, but it was nice to have a tester that said they were good.

I tried a recipe out of the kids elementary school's cookbook since the oven was already hot. Supposedly, it's a cookie ball that surrounds a Hersey Kiss. Well, I kept saying, I don't think this is right. I said it when the dough was finished, after it was chilled and hard as a brick, and as I was trying to get it to mold around the kisses. It wasn't right. The oven temp was higher than normal cookies. They recipe said they weren't supposed to brown. They were supposed to cook for 12 minutes, which for a ball seemed like that would be right. It wasn't My cookie sheet is a huge mess. The dough melted down, thank goodness for that silicon sheet! It looked like melted blobs with bumps where the kisses were. I'm pretty sure they left part of the recipe... like an egg!

Homeschooling J today. I don't know what he's going to have in his book bag, but we're going to work with the book The Gingerbread Pirates. I'm looking forward to it, because Papa is going to do the hard work with him today!

I hope everyone has a creative day. Prayers for those in need

Monique
December 14th, 2017, 10:15 AM
No haven't been back to bed. Showered and ready to tackle the day INSIDE, whatever that is. I was on the Craftsy website downloading a bunch of free patterns.

mischiefkat
December 14th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Good morning everyone!

I'm with ya Monique and Mary....not liken this cold AT ALL! We're hovering around 20'. At least it's warmed up from 12'. The weather guy was off on white stuff prediction. He said 3".....oh no, not 3", but 6" on top of what we already had. More today, but its suppose to be only a couple inches. Then a few more inches Friday. I give....please no more. I'm not going out, except later to shovel. Sigh....

Well today I hope to tackle the making of at least 1 girls nightgown. Been ages since I garment sewed, so this could be a new adventure. Love the fabric, like the pattern....so we'll see what happens.

Stay warm, stay safe and I hope everyone has a fanyastic day. Love and hugs for ALL! 

Star Lover ,please post your girls nightgowns. Would love to see them. Thanks Kathy

Lori63
December 14th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Oh I don't like that sound of that cold at all:(

I have the grandkids today, we're going to a ceramic painting place so the kiddos can paint something for their mommies. Thankfully DD3 is coming to help. I don't think I could handle two toddlers trying to paint breakable items! Then we will stop by MIL so the kids can visit with their Great Grandma for a bit. She has dementia and is wheelchair bound, but sure gets a kick out of seeing the little ones.

I too hope Sugar is okay, hopefully we will hear something soon.

Barb, take care with your blood sugar, that's nothing to mess around with. Enjoy a relaxing day.

I have tomorrow off work and no plans other than to sew. I should get to sew a good part of the weekend too. I hope that means I'll get a good part of my long sewing/quilting list done!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

grammaterry
December 14th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Speaking of members missing, Where is Shirley ? I keep trying to remember to ask if I missed something.
Yes, I'd say the gift making has turned into holiday letdown. Eat some protein and rest and hopefully tomorrow you will be back to a ball of energy.
I made spiced citrus pecans yesterday and DH really wolfed them down. The day before I made bacon cheese balls. The receipe said it would make two. So I proceeded. Well, those two would have been gigantic. I made 5 eight oz logs from the bball mixture. So I sympathize with you on those Hershey balls. It is so exhasperating to make something and have it fail. I made a cake from the internet recently that fell apart it was so crumbly. That's why we mark the ones that work I guess.
Think I will try to get some heat into the sewing room today. I squared up the bird window covering yesterday without heat and my core temp dropped so low that I was cold the rest of the day. I'd like to make some matching covers for the front kitchen windows but I have been dreaming of a design and nothing is happening. So today, I think I will just cut the white fronts and back and backing and get them ready, put them on the design wall and see if my creativity is positive or needs another night for dreaming.

Simply Quilting
December 14th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Good Morning! Thankful to be up and about this morning. Yesterday I had a horrible migraine that refused to go away. Every little sound and light bothered me. The normal pain meds didn't cut it and I could not get to sleep. I was able to take something strong enough to at least knock it back to where I could function. I am so glad that I don't get the ones that sever very often. It use to be when the migraines were that bad, I was able to go to ER and they could give me a cocktail shot of meds that would put me to sleep. (Someone would drive me to ER and drive me home - I was in no condition to drive either direction). With insurance now, it is too expensive to go to the ER and neither the dr's office or the clinic can do the shot.

Well off to start the day with a quick road trip with dh.

Have a great day everyone :)

Cokie
December 14th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Heading to work in a little bit. I was up sick last night so I emailed my boss and told him I would be in late. Doing OK this morning so I'm headed in shortly - I have an important meeting this morning and so much work to do!! I send Sugar a pm earlier this week and she didn't reply - I've been wondering about her as well. It is nice how everyone looks out for each other here.

Hope everyone has a blessed day...and stay warm!

Ginny B
December 14th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Good morning all. Well, it's finally here.... "Fly to California" day. :) Our flight is at 6:15 tonight. I am at work for a few hours to make sure everything is good to go until next week when I come back. It is all falling into place and I should be done with everything by around 1:00. I am scheduled to leave the office at 2. DH is at home getting everything done there ... emptying dishwasher, doing the breakfast dishes, going to the bank, etc. We had some snow overnight and into early this morning but nothing that should affect our flight later.

I'll check in if I can while I'm away. In the meantime, have a good weekend and next week. Keep warm.

MaggieSue
December 14th, 2017, 12:45 PM
Good morning to all, I will be finishing a Christmas present today, I am making a set of coasters for my former boss. It is an ITH, (in the hoop) pattern from KK, Kreative Kiwi. They are really lovely but takes lots of time. Then this evening my DGD is in a concert that is always great!! Very cold here today, 5 degrees. Brrrrr! Have a great day!!!!

Carlie Wolf
December 14th, 2017, 01:38 PM
I'm worried about Sugar too. Wrote her a few emails and PM's but she hasn't answered either. Usually if she's not answering her emails she doesn't answer her phone either. I had her phone number and we usually talk about twice a week but I just realized that it's on the computer that crashed and now it won't even open up so I can't look for it. She usually calls me. If anyone has it can you email it to me. I might be able to figure out the best times to phone her.

Ohhh, I remember those cold, windy days up in Canada. When it got to -19 C or so we use to bring the dogs into the cabin...got quite crowded! The cabin was tiny. I remember if I had to go out I had a super warm racoon long coat I'd put on if I had to walk up the long driveway, when I'd get to the open field the wind was awful and quite unbearable! That coat was super heavy too. Oh yes and I had one of those warm Russian hats LOL

It's been cold here too but not as cold as Canada the last two days. Yesterday I did get out to run some errands...quickly, quickly. I also got that creamy chicken soup done :-) Yummy. Today I'm working to finish off a tote for my friend for Christmas. She likes purple and pinks and someone stole the one I had made for her three years ago. I thought I'd give it another try.

NanaMaggie
December 14th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Thankful I wan't drinking coffee... Maxine is my hero!
Have a great day y'all, hugs

cv quilter
December 14th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Speaking of members missing, Where is Shirley ? I keep trying to remember to ask if I missed something.
I've been wondering the same thing. She's been MIA for a long time. I try to get on every couple or three days, and have noticed that I haven't seen any posts from her. Hope all is OK.