PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday and Trivia!

Star lover
December 13th, 2017, 08:10 AM
My brain hurts, so it can't think of multiple W words......

Today's offering.

Charles Dickens started work on "A Christmas Carol," his famous tale about Ebenezer Scrooge, in October 1843, finished writing it in six weeks and had it published in time for Christmas.

Published on 19 December, the first edition sold out by Christmas Eve; by the end of 1844 thirteen editions had been released.

A Christmas Carol has never been out of print and has been translated into several languages; the story has been adapted many times for film, stage, opera, and other media.

The only original copy of his handwritten manuscript is in the collection of the Morgan Library and Museum in New York City, which displays it every year at Christmastime.
It shows his changes and edits, crossing out text with curly-cue lines and replacing it with shorter, more vivid description.

148423 148424

Dickens had written three Christmas stories prior to the novella, and was inspired to write the story following a visit to the Field Lane Ragged school, one of several establishments for London's half-starved, illiterate street children. The treatment of the poor and the ability of a self-interested man redeeming himself by transforming into a more sympathetic character are the key themes of the story.

Vonnie
December 13th, 2017, 09:13 AM
I did not realize it was that old!

That's quite an achievement. I wonder how much money he got to see before he died.

Lori63
December 13th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Interesting. Got the Disney Mickey Mouse version DVD for my grandson this year, we plan on watching it a few days before Christmas.

grammaterry
December 13th, 2017, 12:30 PM
Can you imagine a publisher getting a book out in that time frame today? Amazing. I was watching Pawn Stars the other night and they were talking about Longfellow and poets in general and how many copies of these classics were printed. Books were such an intergral part of our society in the 19th century. "no tv, no internet!"

KPH
December 13th, 2017, 02:42 PM
I have a copy that belonged to my Mom's Dad. She said he read it to them every Christmas Eve. Precious memories.

SallyO'Sews
December 13th, 2017, 03:02 PM
I did not realize it was that old!

That's quite an achievement. I wonder how much money he got to see before he died.

I don't know whether he was wealthy, but he was England's most popular author during his day, and probably since them. He is buried at Westminster Abbey in a section known as "Poet's Corner." Perhaps our UK members can fill us in!

JCY
December 13th, 2017, 08:55 PM
Thanks for giving us interesting facts & food for thought each day.

Anitamae56
December 13th, 2017, 09:21 PM
Thank you!