PDA

View Full Version : Titillating Tuesday Trivia

Star lover
December 12th, 2017, 08:16 AM
Now how's that for all T's......I try.....

Today she offering is brought to you by Lori (Hulamoon)! Thank you!

Deep in the bowels of an icy mountain on an island above the Arctic Circle between Norway and the North Pole lies a resource of vital importance for the future of human*kind. It’s not coal, oil or precious minerals, but seeds.

Millions of these tiny brown specks, from more than 930,000 varieties of food crops, are stored in the Global Seed Vault on Spitsbergen, part of Norway’s Svalbard archipelago. It is essentially a huge safety deposit box, holding the world’s largest collection of agricultural biodiversity.

The Global Seed Vault has been dubbed the “doomsday” vault, which conjures up an image of a reserve of seeds for use in case of an apocalyptic event or a global catastrophe. But it is the much smaller, localized destruction and threats facing gene banks all over the world that the vault was designed to protect against.

The Svalbard Global Seed Vault (Norwegian: Svalbard globale frøhvelv) is a secure seed bank on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen near Longyearbyen in the remote Arctic Svalbard archipelago, about 1,300 kilometres (810 mi) from the North Pole.

The Norwegian government entirely funded the vault's approximately 45 million kr (US$9 million) construction. Storing seeds in the vault is free to end users, with Norway and the Crop Trust paying for operational costs. Primary funding for the Trust comes from organisations such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and from various governments worldwide. The Svalbard Global Seed Vault officially opened on 26 February 2008.

A seed sample consists of around 500 seeds sealed in an airtight aluminum bag, and the facility has a storage capacity of 4.5 million seed samples. As of February 2008 there were over 930,821 samples.

Monique
December 12th, 2017, 08:20 AM
Amazing stuff.

Iris Girl
December 12th, 2017, 08:59 AM
I love your trivia! I always learn something.

Bubby
December 12th, 2017, 09:09 AM
How interesting....and a little spooky.

Star lover
December 12th, 2017, 09:11 AM
How interesting....and a little spooky.

I thought the same thing.....I think it's the term Doomsday.....for me anyway. And I really hadnt thought of seeds disappearing....forever.

KPH
December 12th, 2017, 09:43 AM
We need a bee protection agency to go with those seeds! No bees, questionable chances of germination, no fruit.

Anitamae56
December 12th, 2017, 09:46 AM
I think that is very interesting, but thinking "Doomsday" is not . But I want to share this with my kids.
Thanks, Anita and Lori.

Sandy Navas
December 12th, 2017, 09:47 AM
I'm glad to know where it is - after all, what if I was the only one here and I didn't know the location? Wahhhh!

Love reading the trivia stuff!!

MaryUK
December 12th, 2017, 10:33 AM
How interesting and worrying at the same time - imagine a life without flowers!!

grammaterry
December 12th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Ohh Sandy, I wanna be here too! Maybe we can meet up to make the trek.
However, I bought one of those seed storage tubes with enough heirloom seeds to sew two acres. It is suppose to be viable for more than 25 years. Of course, I've owned it for almost 10 years , so perhaps I was feeling paranoid. Maybe I should just plant them and save the seeds from the produce.

SallyO'Sews
December 12th, 2017, 11:50 AM
This is very interesting, and I am glad someone thought to do it, and thankful that the Norwegian government paid for it.

That said, I am VERY glad that it's not my job to go out to the vault and put little vials of seeds into it. Can you imagine being the FedEx driver who has to make that delivery?!? Grateful I work in a heated office!

Debbie Watters
December 12th, 2017, 02:17 PM
Until reading this, who would have thought such a "safe" existed? This is amazing information ...

Hulamoon
December 12th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Thanks for posting!

I was so fascinated when I first learned about this. I thought about the zombie apocalypse lol. But they wouldn't cause plants to die, it would be climate change. If you ever get the chance ( buy or find on demand) watch the movie Snowpiecer. I watched it once and then found it on Demand waiting for me to watch on a rainy day. Ironic the seeds are buried in snow.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706620/

JCY
December 12th, 2017, 08:05 PM
Some of the survivalist businesses sell seeds that are not genetically modified for just such an apocalyptic event. Many folks stocked up on seeds, dried foods, MREs, & all kinds of supplies just before Y2K. I think the shelf life of some of that stuff was 15 yrs., so they're now out dated. Do the Mormons still stockpile a 1 year's supply of food & water? I buy food ahead just for the convenience of not having to shop so often & in the event of a snowstorm or something, but I don't stockpile. When my parents were missionaries in Mozambique back in the 1920's, they had to buy food for 3 mos. in advance, because the roads were impassable in the rainy season. Stop & think about what kind of vehicles they had back then. I know my dad used to travel some places on a donkey or walked. This was before my time. I've just heard stories.