PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday hellos!!!

Monique
December 12th, 2017, 08:08 AM

Good morning friends. Well I kept myself pretty busy yesterday but not with sewing. First I covered one of my windows with plastic because the cold was coming in. Then it was off the shovel the driveway. Luckily the snow was powder and it didn't take long. Then I cleaned out a storage cupboard, then it was a catch all drawer. Well then while I had the paper shredder out, time to shred old bills and such. And then off to have a shower. Sat for a bit and then back up again and made two pumpkin and cranberry loaves. Oh so good. Needless to say I didn't do anything after supper.

Today I meet Bonnie at 11 for our ride to Guild. It is our Christmas lunch. I have my block done for the draw. If you brought a block your name goes in a draw to win them all. I seldom win. I also have my little 'makeup' bag filled with soaps and hand cream as we are donating to the women's shelter in lieu of gifts. I also have my door prize bag filled with things I will never use. ( My secret sister from Lionettes this past year had bought me stuff that I wonder where her head is sometimes). So that is my day.

It snowed again a little last night and I think we are supposed to get a little more again today. Oh well I am not driving far today.

Everyone have an awesome day today doing what pleases you.

Star lover
December 12th, 2017, 08:28 AM
Mornin Monique and everyone!

Hope you have a wonderful time at your Guild tonight. Sounds like a great time! Be careful out there!

I would rather sing....never let it snow.....! I know, a kill joy. But I'm not likin in much these days. We got more last night....more to come....rats! With the highs only in the low 20's and the wind blowing like crazy....absoluty NO fun! OK, done with rant......for now....

For some reason I was two steps forward, one step back, all day yesterday.....although I did get to sew 2 more blocks. Just didn't seem to get much else done. I too shovled the dreaded stuff...

Hopefully today will go better. I went to bed at 10:15; up at 4. Which is better than normal!

Enjoying watching all the birds migrate in. Lots of Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers, Yellow Shafted Flickers, Red Bellied Woodpeckers, Nuthatches, Goldfinches, Chickadees, Juncos, along with the usual suspects. Our most unusual sighting were an American Kestrel and this past fall some Marigold Warblers. Also had some flocks of Red and Yellow Crowned Kinglets! Love all the color and how they interact with each other. Makes washing dishes more entertaining.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day! Love and hugs to all!

KPH
December 12th, 2017, 10:03 AM
Monique, have a wonderful time, tonight! Anita, we had our two cardinals a male and female come to visit yesterday. They provided a little show for Esther until Zeke decided to go look at them from the sliding glass doors. We don't have a lot of birdy visitors, I'm thinking the highways behind the house are part of the problem. We haven't had any squirrels either. I miss the variety of birds that we had back in NC.

Yesterday I did some baking with Esther and Zeke. We only have one step stool, so you can imagine the problem that caused. My grandpa Phillips made a bench back in the 60s. It's just a board and angle legs, but it's one of those important things to me. It's aged from being kept outside all of these years. Anyway, it's the perfect size for both of them to stand on while mixing up cookie dough. I know he'd get a kick out of that.

Brandy snaps are done, there was a lot of breakage crumb eating in the process. The dough I made with the kids are layered, rolled, chilled and ready to cut into pinwheels. Sugar cookie dough is ready to roll and bake. I don't have a clue where my cookie cutters are, so I bought a set of canapé cutters at Hobby Lobby on sale. It makes tiny sugar cookies, just the right size for a tiny treat.

My sewing room needs a deep cleaning. It's carpeted so threads, lint, pins, clips and anything clear gets lost very easily on the floor. It took DH a good 5 minutes on his hands and knees searching with his hands to find one of my clear feet for my sewing machine. I wish they tinted them that neon yellow that glows, lol.

I need to work on the story for the kiddos. It's started, I kind of know where it's going, sort of, maybe.

Prayers for those in need. Have a happy creative day!

JCY
December 12th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Good Morning ~ Not much time. Bread making is on the agenda for today. I need to get an early start on it. Yest. I spent most of the day working on Christmas mail. I mailed ~62 cards. I have 30 more ready to mail & need to add a few to today's pile. With all that sitting & writing, I'll be ready for massage soon. I really feel it in my shoulders & back.

A friend who lives in a senior facility in OR e-m'd me that their group was going to Aspen Meadow in Colton, OR for an outing. I checked out their web site. Oh my. All these beautiful lights displays! And they offer it free to the community. It looks like a great place to visit & get in the Christmas spirit. The web site has a great photo gallery.

Gotta go.

Bubby
December 12th, 2017, 10:08 AM
Morning Everyone,

I have lots to do today....errands to run in town, housework and laundry. I'm thinking of making homemade tamales and turning it into a tamale party for a few of my GFs next week if they are available. This has been in the back of my head for a while. If I can find cornhusks and the chiles I think I'll do it. Making tamales is a lot of work but not if you have all those extra hands!

I don't mind snow....but ours almost always comes with ice and that's so dangerous. Three years ago my car began sliding on ice on a hill and I ended up going off the road and overturning into a ravine. I was able to use my phone to get help. I wasn't hurt but I had some dandy bruises from my seatbelt when I was hanging upsidedown. So far this year we haven't had snow.

I'm off to start my day....will check in later. Wishing everyone a great day.

MaryUK
December 12th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Had a lazy start to the day!! Then posted my Christmas cards and a quick trip to the supermarket. Back home I am dong some on-line banking while the clothes are washing. The afternoon will be spent in my sewing room as DH put up a new Ikea unit for me yesterday and I want to get on and give it a good tidy! yesterday I did some with the mantra "if you haven't looked/thought of it for the last 18 months, it's going in the bin". Think I will have to continue in this way until it's done.

I should be finishing 2 quilts for Christmas but I know they will get done as I have very little on over the next few days and I'll have most of next week free too (unless DD fills my diary).

Hope you all have a good day and hugs for those who are in need.

grammaterry
December 12th, 2017, 11:18 AM
I went to the post office to post Christmas cards yesterday. Stood in line for 30 min. then, I presented the cards. I had made potholders with insulbright and put them in the cards. They weighed around 1.7 oz so I told the man maybe we should just meter them because postage is 49 cents for the first oz and 22 for the second. Well, he said, no! They had something beyond a letter in them so they were considered a parcel. I spent 30 more minutes having him put tracking labels and $3 postage on each. I said, "well, I was just going to put 2 first class stamps on them. He said they would have been returned to me or billed for postage due on the other end. When, did this happen? I told him Merry Christmas!
Dh wasn't happy that he waited in the truck for an hour.
Then we picked up my mother in law and had lunch then took her to Walmart to pick up a prescription . Then to Lowes to get insulation for DH's shop and a quick stop at the grocery for Marshmellow cream and bread. DH said "wasted day". Oh, I forgot, we stopped at the new LQS in Weaverville because Creative Grids said they had the new Angela Walters quilting rulers. They didn't. The shop was not very friendly and they were rather insulting when I asked about the rulers, saying...they just came out 2 days ago. We will get them ordered. DH said they (the owners) were not from NC. I told him that wasn't their excuse...I know a lot of people who have moved here that are polite loving and giving people.
Today I am going to go cut that tree and bring it in. It is suppose to get really cold with the wind chill tonight. Down in the negative territory. I probably won't get to sew today. It is such a grey and gloomy day out there.
I'm off to get a cup of coffee and see if I can get my attitude up. This may be that second stage of retirement where I'm having a little bit of depressive down but, this too will pass. I miss the children.

MissMay
December 12th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Snow almost gone, just some patches here and there but it's cold so I'm staying indoors today. I'll be baking some pumpkin breads and maybe a zucchini one also. Not wanting to get into a cash gift situation with the 2 very pleasant gals who have been doing a monthly cleaning for us the past few months I thought a home baked fruit bread would be a nice gift for each of them. What do you think? Took me awhile not to clean before they came but I'm getting the hang of it. Been doing house work since childhood so at almost 82 I thought it was time to take a break.

Simply Quilting
December 12th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Good afternoon! We received a phone call yesterday morning that the baby's glasses were in. There is a separate post of him wearing them. So we headed down to the city to pick them up. The wind was awful and it was hard to stay on the road as most of the time it was a crosswind. We were in the office less than 5 minutes. On the way home, I stopped at our main eye dr place where I had to order new glasses for youngest dd. Her glasses broke right after the 12 month warranty expired - it literally expired less than two weeks ago. And because she just got new lenses last month, we have to order the same frames as what she had. Thankfully, the frame are reasonably priced.

Last night was the 4-H Christmas party for our December meeting. The children had fun putting together cookie plates for the elderly and took them around the little town where we meet to deliver them as they sang Christmas carols. Because of the cold and wind, those of us with little ones, just drove behind the group. Then we came back to the meeting room for a soup supper and a family gift exchange instead of the individual ones since there is a large age range and lots of children.

Today is just a stay at home day - which I am very thankful for. I have worked on laundry and am doing just general getting the house back in order after the weekend and being gone yesterday.

Have a nice Tuesday everyone :)

K. McEuen
December 12th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Morning Everyone,

I have lots to do today....errands to run in town, housework and laundry. I'm thinking of making homemade tamales and turning it into a tamale party for a few of my GFs next week if they are available. This has been in the back of my head for a while. If I can find cornhusks and the chiles I think I'll do it. Making tamales is a lot of work but not if you have all those extra hands!

If you do make them, use lard! I learned that lesson many years ago when I made a batch with lard and the masa was so light and fluffy. The second batch I used shortening and it was a huge letdown.

grammaterry
December 12th, 2017, 05:16 PM
I think the gifts are a great idea. Cash tips seem so impersonal and thankless.
Snow almost gone, just some patches here and there but it's cold so I'm staying indoors today. I'll be baking some pumpkin breads and maybe a zucchini one also. Not wanting to get into a cash gift situation with the 2 very pleasant gals who have been doing a monthly cleaning for us the past few months I thought a home baked fruit bread would be a nice gift for each of them. What do you think? Took me awhile not to clean before they came but I'm getting the hang of it. Been doing house work since childhood so at almost 82 I thought it was time to take a break.

JCY
December 12th, 2017, 05:38 PM
I'm back. The 2 loaves of bread are done. The house is smelling scrumptious. I worked on Christmas cards most of the morning. I have 52 more out in the mailbox to go. With the 62 or so that I mailed yest., that's well >100. I still have some mailboxes at church to stuff on Sun. a.m. A few I will send via e-m & save the postage. At 49 cents a letter, it adds up in a hurry.

Our guild meeting also is tonight. It's the annual Christmas tea. They had a spring tea in May, which was very nice. They plan to have Sew & Tell, so I'll take my Baby Bargello quilt. I took it last mo., but with all the quilt show winner announcements, there was no time for it. Our guild has a library where you can check out books. Some are how-to quilting books. Some are fiction books which include quilting in the story line. I need to return a book; I have 2 to donate. We'll also be filling out our membership forms & paying dues for next year. Cost is $30. which IMO is reasonable. We had 3 nationally known speakers last year. Bonnie Hunter is on the agenda for next year. Woo hoo! I think she will be a lot of fun.

I set out the sprinkler a while ago & watered the 2 front flower beds. It's been so dry. We're way behind with our usual rain/snowfall this year. It's sunny today & 65 deg.

Now that the Christmas cards basically are done, I can concentrate on getting the tree out, starting the FMQ on my table runner and getting on with some other projects. I'm off to eat a late lunch.

Bubby
December 12th, 2017, 05:41 PM
If you do make them, use lard! I learned that lesson many years ago when I made a batch with lard and the masa was so light and fluffy. The second batch I used shortening and it was a huge letdown.

Thanks for the tip, Karen. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Mary Lynn
December 12th, 2017, 07:24 PM
Snow squalls here today & temp dropping throughout the day. Squalls are to keep up till late tomorrow. Good day to stay in & sew. I finished putting borders on a quilt that has dragged on for too long. Ran short of fabric & when the fabric came in I was in the middle of Christmas sewing.
I did bundle up & went for my walk this afternoon through the snow. Started working on a wall hanging project that has been waiting for me for 2 years. It may turn into Christmas present �� for DIL.