PDA

View Full Version : Monday morning hellos

Monique
December 11th, 2017, 08:53 AM

Good morning friends. I have to make this quick as the power is expected to go off for one hour starting at 7. Well I got the rest of the row done, now to sandwich and quilt it. I also may a soup bowl cozy but had to use my pirate voice. Finally got it right and it looks okay. I am going to make another one. I made it out of flannel.

Started a scarf for Maizyn but had to take it apart and start over. The second one is not as wide as the first. Other than that, no too much happening. Not sure what today will bring. Hubby is working today. Tomorrow I have our lunch at guild, and the rest of the week is fairly quiet.

Oh Greg had to a test that most people fail the first time and he called last night and he passed. He sounded so pleased as we are so proud of him. It has to do with his Navy training and that he will command his own ship. In the spring he should get to be promoted to Lieutenant Commander. He said those that pass the first time are considered "Assholes". There were 5 on west coast and he is the only one who passed.. So very proud of him, did I already say that?

We are supposed to get frigid temperatures tonight. I HATE the cold. It now looks like we will have a white Christmas but we didn't get as much as Georgia got that is for sure.

Have a great day friends. Stay warm and safe and SMILE!!

Star lover
December 11th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Mornin Monique and everyone!

I'm hoping I don't give you a chance to smile......like your minion! Not fun!.... but funny!

Hope you're power stays on! That's the worse in the cold! It's 22 here and there's white stuff! Not like the Deep South..... whew... so happy about that.

So happy for you and your son, what an accomplishment! Congratulations to him.....and you and Les! Have fun sewing...if you have power.

Just plain cold here. Suppose to stay in the 20 s all week, with on and off white stuff.....grrrr....brrrrr

Chipping away at the Christmas shopping. Every year I say we'll do it early, every year we wait on the kids and every year we're shopping to the last minute. Since they both have small houses and many kids, they want to make sure that what gifts they get, have dual purposes or are useful....so we wait.

Well we got the lists and I'm off. 2 GD want flannel nightgowns! Yeah! Yeah??? It's been years since I did garment sewing and when they mentioned them, no sizes, so had to wait for that. So I have pattern in hand, no fabric yet. Trying to read the pattern.....do I need glasses? Oh they're on....what's the problem? Oh, the entire thing is written in Spanish! When did that happen? Dug through, a dual pattern sheet, both English and Spanish is included??? ......strange, but OK. So I'm going to try to get these 2 done...before Christmas!

Have a wonderful, joyful day! and if you have any white stuff.....please....PLEASE keep it!

Love and hugs to all!

Bubby
December 11th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Good Morning Monique & Everyone,

Congratulations to Greg....super accomplishment! I would be very proud if he was my son. You have something to smile all day about!

Jeff drew 3 new winners this morning, so I need to get their goodies ready to mail. This has been a lot of fun, but now I need to get my house in order, food shop and write Christmas cards and bake.

It's been bitter cold with wind, but today (only) is supposed to be a bit warmer. We are under a ban on fires until further notice. I can't remember the last time we had any rain. Farm ponds are all dried up and wildlife are struggling with a lack of food and water.
We have a 55 gallon drum plus a galvanized tub filled with water in our south woods. The animals are emptying both every day. We are also putting out corn every other day. It's sad.

We helped a neighbor look for her missing dog yesterday...no luck. Charlie has been missing since Nov 30. He went out to go potty and never returned.

Wishing everyone a productive day....we're all so busy right now. Hugs, Barb

Monique
December 11th, 2017, 09:31 AM
Good Morning Monique & Everyone,

Congratulations to Greg....super accomplishment! I would be very proud if he was my son. You have something to smile all day about!

Jeff drew 3 new winners this morning, so I need to get their goodies ready to mail. This has been a lot of fun, but now I need to get my house in order, food shop and write Christmas cards and bake.

It's been bitter cold with wind, but today (only) is supposed to be a bit warmer. We are under a ban on fires until further notice. I can't remember the last time we had any rain. Farm ponds are all dried up and wildlife are struggling with a lack of food and water.
We have a 55 gallon drum plus a galvanized tub filled with water in our south woods. The animals are emptying both every day. We are also putting out corn every other day. It's sad.

We helped a neighbor look for her missing dog yesterday...no luck. Charlie has been missing since Nov 30. He went out to go potty and never returned.

Wishing everyone a productive day....we're all so busy right now. Hugs, Barb

I'm back. Barb I hope they find their dog soon.

JCY
December 11th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Good Morning, All ~ Monique, congrats. to your son for passing the first time. An accomplishment for which to be proud.

Barb, do you have coyotes in your area? Many smaller dogs around here, even in the Denver Metro area, have been nabbed by aggressive coyotes. My step-son in rural N. ID had their dog killed by a coyote last year. They found his carcass. Not pretty.

It's cold here, too -- just 23 deg. this a.m. It warms up to ~ 60 during the day. Our thin air heats & cools quickly. No white stuff.

Today will be the usual Mon. laundry & more stuffing envelopes for the Christmas mail. It takes a while to work through a list of 175. All sewing is on hold till after the cards are sent.

grammaterry
December 11th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Congratulations to Greg. I'm off to town soon and that will take all day. Going to go to a LQS (local being the operative word (50 miles).

Simply Quilting
December 11th, 2017, 01:08 PM
Good Morning
Congratulations to Greg!! What an awesome achievement!

Barb, on facebook a friend of mine from around your area posted from a county animal shelter that people are letting their dogs out just to go to the bathroom and someone has been taking the dogs. The best that can be figured out is the animals are then being taken out of state and sold. So sad.

DD is going to a friend's birthday party today - public school is out for the day so it is going to be a daytime "sleepover". They are going to make pizza for lunch and do pedicures all while in the pjs. I am sure that there will be lots of giggles and fun memories made.

Have a wonderful day everyone :)

KPH
December 11th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Oh Monique! You should be proud. Jim's first CO sent a letter when he passed his Surface Warfare exam. It was a proud moment and he acted like it was no big deal. But mom's ,know... it's a big deal!

Barb, you've been so busy making everyone's Christmas merry!

Anita, I know what you mean about hurry up and waiting on kids to make up their minds. After Thanksgiving and all the hem hawing about who's doing what when, I just told DS#1s inlaws that we would be doing a Christmas Eve dinner...it might be 'lupper' (between lunch and supper), or if needed a little later and they were all invited. We've always had the Christmas Eve dinner, then I didn't have to cook Christmas Day and I could enjoy it with the boys. DIL has to work Christmas Day this year. She won't have to cook and try to get their Christmas done early or late.

Joy, I love your new picture! I realized yesterday, I didn't keep any red sweaters, other than NC State sweatshirts. I may have to do something about that between now and Christmas.

Terry, I sent DH and DS#2 to take the kids back to Nana and Nandy's house. I'm supposedly supposed to be working on the kids Christmas story. You see where I am.

Simply Quilting... sounds like you're going to have a fun time. Those days pass by so quickly! Hard to believe there's a day off from school so close to Christmas vacation.

Well, back to what I'm supposed to be working on. So far, it's another Star Mt. story. It's started off two different ways. I have no idea where I'm going, which isn't the way to get this done. We'll see where the characters lead me this year.

Be creative!

CraftyJnet
December 11th, 2017, 06:20 PM
Good afternoon! and Congratulations to Greg!! I'm off to the post office to mail a pkg for our etsy store and to buy some Christmas stamps. I have about twenty Christmas cards made and need to make about ten more. We don't mail out a lot of cards as our circle of friends seems to have shrunk as the years have passed. Oh well. I hope everyone is having a wonderful day.

Navy Wife
December 11th, 2017, 06:32 PM
Congratulations to Greg. I remember when DH made LCdr! It was a great day. We were in San Diego with DS#2 when he made it, and we really celebrated. Both are retired now. DH had 23 years in and DS served 26 years. It's a great life, and I miss it at times.

No news from here. The choir sang our special music last night. I was exhausted and hoarse when it was over. I love to sing, and I'm so glad to be back in the choir. I have to get cards off tonight. So many friends are gone, so our list grows shorter each year. We are well and in good health, and I give thanks for that every day. Snow showers expected tomorrow. I hope I can get to the vet with Ellie. Her claws look like tiger claws. Also need some groceries and have a dental appointment. Take care all.

Bubby
December 11th, 2017, 07:12 PM
Good Morning, All ~ Monique, congrats. to your son for passing the first time. An accomplishment for which to be proud.

Barb, do you have coyotes in your area? Many smaller dogs around here, even in the Denver Metro area, have been nabbed by aggressive coyotes. My step-son in rural N. ID had their dog killed by a coyote last year. They found his carcass. Not pretty.

It's cold here, too -- just 23 deg. this a.m. It warms up to ~ 60 during the day. Our thin air heats & cools quickly. No white stuff.

Today will be the usual Mon. laundry & more stuffing envelopes for the Christmas mail. It takes a while to work through a list of 175. All sewing is on hold till after the cards are sent.

Yes, we have lots of coyotes, mountain lions and even bears. Owls and hawks will pick up small animals and fly off with them and then drop them to kill them before eating them. I don't hold much hope for finding Charlie. This is why I take Dottie out to potty on a leash. It's a nuisance, especially in the middle of the night but she is worth protecting.

cv quilter
December 11th, 2017, 08:36 PM
Monique, congratulations to Greg! What an accomplishment.......I understand the pride you are feeling. Congratulations to you and DH, too. So sorry I am saying this at 4:30 PM MST. I must say I DID have a great start to my day when I found that I was one of the LUCKY names drawn for Bubby's (Barb) last draw for this glorious season. Can't wait to see what surprise awaits. THANK YOU, BARB! and Santa, Jeff!!! I DO feel blessed to be a part of all of this family.