PDA

View Full Version : The Painted Night Owl

toggpine
December 11th, 2017, 01:49 AM
I imagine that there will be some late nights being pulled as we draw ever closer to the holidays.

I'm putting the sewing to the back burner for a week. I have decided that since we are moving furniture to accommodate Eric's Christmas present we need to paint. Everything! The ceilings are the worst, as they were some industrial cream color and it has aged to nasty yellowish. We did paint the walls when we moved in as they were some unbelievable colors. That was about 14 years ago and it was a fairly hasty job, thus no ceiling paint.

Today I managed to get some help and the heavy furniture was pulled away from the walls so we could get to work. I don't think my 11 year old understood that it IS work to paint! She does now!
The ceiling and walls of the living room are done. We have an open floor plan, so most of the rooms are connected. We arbitrarily stopped painting the ceiling when we ran out of paint in the last tray and we had nearly come to the edge of our drop cloth. It looks like an amoeba instead of squared off. That really seemed to bug my husband, and I'm the more OCD one in the family. I explained that a random shape will be easier to blend than a straight line. That seemed to mollify him some.

I know I could have this done by the end of the week if I didn't have to work. I'm not sure I'll get this done when I want though. The new job has provided many blessings and I am very thankful to have found a job that satisfies me. (Even if it frustrates me at times!) I do miss my "free" time to sew, etc. I think it may end up making me more productive in the long run though. I need to work in the sewing room, or whatever, some each day or I'll never get these projects done. The fabric pile is also getting smaller since it is a hassle to get out to shop, and I prefer to hold the fabrics instead of just shop online for it. So that is good too.

How are your Holiday preparations going? Are you going to be hanging out with us Night Owls this season? Let us know what's up in your neck of the woods!

Holidays Hugs! Cathy

toggpine
December 11th, 2017, 01:55 AM
This is what we finished today. The other is a sample of the color difference between the new ceiling white and the original industrial stuff. It will be so nice when it's done.

jjkaiser
December 11th, 2017, 02:26 AM
It's coming along nicely but I agree! Painting is a lot of work. The last time we painted ceilings at our house we discovered a paint that goes on light pink but fades to white as it dries. My husband said it was a great invention, saved a lot of craning with his neck to see which areas were done and which were not, like when he would take a lunch break. And the paint really did turn white when it dried. You will love your new room even if it takes longer to pull together because of your work schedule!

toggpine
December 11th, 2017, 04:16 AM
According to the gal at the paint desk, I could have gotten that if I wanted to buy it by the gallon. We bought a 5 gallon bucket to do all of the ceilings. With the dramatic color difference of the ceiling colors it's not that hard to see where we have already painted!

I will be very happy to have a freshly painted house and the purging of stuff that is seeming to go along with it!

kimsophia
December 11th, 2017, 05:26 AM
Your new paint job does look very nice. I'm doing some purging here as well. A lady on Freecycle wanted Christmas ornaments. I have a lot of them I inherited from my mom but never use and don't even like, actually. I was just holding onto it because it was Mom's. This person even wants the strings of lights that don't light up, although I included spare bulbs. I asked her if she wanted some craft stuff too and she said that she has three kids and needs craft items all the time, so I threw that in, too. So a big black garbage bag's worth of stuff is going to a new home! I was hoping I'd be able to consolidate the remaining Christmas stuff to one storage box instead of two but there's not quite room enough in one box.

I finished up the class crazy quilt block. I'm going to send it to my aunt if I can find a frame to fit it. It's an odd size, 8x8.5". I'll probably get an 8x10" frame and use a mat to reduce the opening. That will be my only directly shipped present as we usually shop online for each other. Oftentimes we buy for ourselves and just wait until Christmas to open it. We aren't into surprises...lol

SallyO'Sews
December 12th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Cathy, I need you to drop whatever you're doing and come to my house immediately.
Please bring the dropcloth and your roller pan.
Love,
~ Sally