PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning

JCY
December 10th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Good Morning ~ I see Monique was up in the wee hours of the morning. I'm guessing she went back to bed. I'm up at my usual time. Brr. Only 22 deg. this a.m. We had a beautiful day yest. It got up to 64 deg. I took advantage of the sunny weather to change the bed & air the pillows outside.

I saw an unusual visitor at the bird water dish yest. I looked through the binoculars, then checked my bird book. It was a female Ruby-Crowned Kinglet. I had made a notation I saw one on 12/21/10. Colo. is on their migration route from way north into Canada & Alaska to their winter range way south.

I finally finished the Christmas address label project. I'm ready to start fixing the cards & stuffing envelopes.

Terry ~ How much snow did you get? I heard on the news this a.m. that parts of NC got up 18" of snow. I hope you took some pics of the winter wonderland. Is the snow too deep to cut your Christmas tree? My son in MD got 3"; it wasn't sticking to the streets, but he figured they'd have some icy roads this a.m.

Time to fix DH's breakfast.

grammaterry
December 10th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Joy, South of us there was lots and lots of snow, but that's 50 miles from here. We got plenty. I'll dry to get out today with the phone and take some pictures on the farm here. Its steep to walk down the hill to get a pretty picture and I fear falling when DH is not around. (I want someone to be able to find me. lol) Pictures from the house just seem to get vehicles and tractors and bbq grills which aren't very photogenic. BUt maybe later today. Its suppose to be 50 tomorrow so most will melt away. Then on Tuesday we are back to cold weather again. Alas, the fate of mountain weather.
Don't know if I will cut the tree today. Seems sort of silly to trudge thru the snow to get it and then have to let it dry before bringing it in the house. No little children to disappoint if I wait a couple more days.
I am working on a window cover for the kitchen window. I wanted birds. So, I cut out 50 little birds from flowery charms. Then I lined them up symmetrically in grid and showed them to DH before I set out on my applique adventure. He said, it looks like youre making a quilt. Why don't you put your artistic talents to use? You can do better than that. Well, I thought about it and I knew I was just doing the SAFE thing. So I unpinned and started over. I cut out a bunch of brown material for branches and then I sat the birds (only a few) on the limbs. YES! I am inspired now. I began the applique process and I must admit...I'm excited to get up to that cold sewing room today and work on this project. I definitely have gotten in a rut of safety and get er done mode.
Joy, your live birds sound fascinating. Again, you seem to have mastered the art of staying interesting. You must also be a bird watcher if you have notes of when you last saw the birds. I have an Audobon bird book and I identify the little critters but never make notes. We have a HUGE holly tree (actually 2) in the front yard . They are at least 100 years old based on old photos. One of them bears berries and is loaded. It is so much fun to watch the wild birds swoop in and clean the tree out. THat will happen in a few days or perhaps weeks. There will be thousands of birds all at once. I think they are migrating south when it happens.

Bubby
December 10th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Morning Everyone...My emb machine is happily clattering along stitching out a new lace angel design. It takes 105 minutes to stitch if all goes well.

We had a very cold day working at the apartments and I felt like I got too cold. When I went to bed last night I had a sore throat but I feel pretty good today.

Olive had a large collection of soft squeaky toys which she kept under the coffee table. Olive's babies were off limits for Dottie, but since Dottie's favorite toys are ropes and rubber hoses she didn't mind. When I got up early this morning Dottie has moved all of Olive's babies into a pile in the middle of the living room and she was sleeping on them. I know she still misses Olive terribly. It was six months ago yesterday that Olive went to Rainbow Bridge.

Jeff is outdoors working on the gate/fence he's building. Dottie wants to join him, but it's too cold for her to be out there too long.
She got too cold yesterday when she went on walk with Jeff. I had her drink warm chicken broth and I warmed a quilt in the dryer and wrapped her up for a nap. She slept more than 2 hours.

I think I will cook a roast today and give us something decent to eat. The last week or so we haven't been eating very healthy and I really feel it and it shows in my blood sugar.

I hope everyone will have a wonderful Sunday. Joy, good luck with the carols on the organ today. My favorite carol is O' Holy Night.

grammaterry
December 10th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Oh BUbby, that is so sweet of Dotty. You are such a good mom. The roast sounds good. I made homemade noodles yesterday and put them in the chicken veg soup. DH was so complimentary. It is going to take some time for me to get back in the home cooking mode. Restaurant cooking is good, but there are things I just haven't made for 10 years.
105 min. is a long time. What happens if all doesn't go well? Can it be fixed?

Georgie Girl
December 10th, 2017, 11:09 AM
105 minutes is a long time. I get restless just doing a label. And all the beautiful items you make I can't imagine. Someday I'm going to trade my emb machine in for a better one. I love my Janome sewing machine but the emb one we just never did click. Have a great Sunday everyone.

NanaMaggie
December 10th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Good Sunday morning y'all,

This morning started with a glorious cup of coffee! It was lovely, medium roast Colombian beans ground to perfection. The sun was creeping up over the water, nothing but the sound of the waves lapping the beach. Then I woke up... decided to pour that great cuppa and drive 2 mins to the beach and make it real. Yes, dreams do come true!

Time for Mass - Have a great day! Hugs

mischiefkat
December 10th, 2017, 11:19 AM
Good Morning All,
It was 44 here this am. I know to some forum members that's a heat wave. At least we didn't have any snow.
I am going to cook a roast today too. Warm the house up. Will make some cookie dough too, chill it,then bake it tomorrow night. I bake mostly chocolate chips, Russian Tea cakes,and sugar cookies. Going to look for something else to bake, don't know what I'm looking for. It will be one of those that's it things. I used to bake lots of cookies, but not anymore.
Will also work on DH's pillow cases after he leaves for his volunteer job.
Terry would love to see snow pictures, but don't want you to fall. The only snow pictures I see are snow clogged highways etc.
Bubby I feel bad for Dottie. I think the only difference between us and animals is we don't speak their language.
Joy, we did our cards a week or so ago. Good luck with your carols this am, My favorite is Adeste Fidelas.
Everyone have a good day stay warm and safe. Hugs Kathy

Ginny B
December 10th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Good morning . We had a beautiful snowy day yesterday. Only got a few inches but it made everything look so pretty. And there was no shovelling needed. Whatever did stick to the sidewalk has melted with the bright sun today. The snow is still on the cars, grass, bushes, etc

There is something about snowy days that makes me feel like cooking. So yesterday I made beef barley soup
in the crock pot and then I made the sauce for today's tortillini dinner. When they were both happily simmering along, I went upstairs and put on a Hallmark Christmas movie and wrapped presents. Great progress was made.
I too had my embroidery machine clattering along this morning. I was working on some snowflakes (they only took an average of 20 minutes each) and then I did m my first Embroider Buddy. I got it from M*. I was trying to figure out how to get it into the hoop which was how to the You tube video showed it being done. Then I thought why not float it?! So that's what I did and it worked out great. It's Randy the Reindeer and it's for Zeke. I'll take a picture after I get his stuffing pillows back inside.

I will do some more gift wrapping today and I hope to work on a reading pillow too.

Have a great day all.

Iris Girl
December 10th, 2017, 01:13 PM
Morning all. It was 24 when I go up at 4am my usual time. we got about 6 inches of fluffy white stuff between yesterday late morning and into the night. This morning I did a load of laundry. In the winter it goes on the rack and on hangers in my sewing/laundry room. I hate clothes dried in a dryer. Except towels I will use it for them in the winter.
I worked on my sons Christmas wreath door hanging some. Its slow going as he is designing i and keeps changing his mind. We had to find just the perfect pine tree fabric. he wreath is a dresden plate with a larger center hole. In the center hole is a Christmas tree. We get to decorate that and the ribbon with buttons and trims. All that will be on a white on white snowflake background.
Then I finally managed to get all my pieces cut after 3 cutting sessions for my new mini factotom purse. I had to wait til Dec to get the pattern when it was released as I was not a member of the club. And after Pat and Dolores showed theirs I new I wanted to make one. Then I had to find the perfect fabric. It's coming along great
Hubby is outside with his OCD getting every piece of snow and ice off the cars and driveway
Apple pie just came out of the oven will do a pork roast for dinner today.
Have a good one everyone.

pcbatiks
December 10th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Barb..........your story of Dottie sleeping with Olive's toys......you melted my heart & DH's too. So sweet.

CraftyJnet
December 10th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Mmmm, so many of you are cooking delicious meals, it makes me hungry. Yesterday I updated my address labels and printed them out along with return address labels. I started making my Christmas cards but only made the pieces for five, so I'll start back up on them in a few minutes. I only need to make thirty but it is slow going, so I doubt I'll finish them today. I get bored doing the same thing over and over. I wanted to make several different ones this year but DH wants them all the same so I agreed. Hope you all have a wonderful day!

KarenC
December 10th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Ooops, it's afternoon already. Got the gumbo cooking. This cold snap we've had this week is just the right weather for gumbo. Will probably take some over to DD tomorrow when I go watch the baby. Round one of taxes done. I know, crazy, but I start it right after getting my software, then several more times between January and March as actual data comes in. Need to make sure I don't have huge surprises coming. Now, time to go work on a charity quilt, after I find my circle template in the sewing room. Gotta start somewhere.

jjkaiser
December 10th, 2017, 04:47 PM
Good Sunday morning y'all,

This morning started with a glorious cup of coffee! It was lovely, medium roast Colombian beans ground to perfection. The sun was creeping up over the water, nothing but the sound of the waves lapping the beach. Then I woke up... decided to pour that great cuppa and drive 2 mins to the beach and make it real. Yes, dreams do come true!

Time for Mass - Have a great day! Hugs

Oh thank you for this lovely description. It sounds like heaven. I wish I could come right over!

KPH
December 10th, 2017, 05:24 PM
Afternoon all,

DS#2 had to be at work this morning at 7. He really did try to be quiet. If I hadn't had to go to the bathroom I probably wouldn't have even heard him. He'll be getting off at 4. It won't be long before he gets home.

I threw a stack (literally) of pork chops we'd gotten when they were on sale, into the crockpot. They come frozen about 15 in a bag. I usually drop them a few times to break the stack apart, then have DH 'suck them up' with the machine in manageable portions. He left the whole thing together and stuck them in the freezer. Anyway, I stuck the whole stack in the crock pot yesterday, hoping that if I left them on high, I could get them done before DS2 had to go to work. No such luck. Tonight, we'll have the pork chops/ gravy. The meat fell of the bone last night.

I've felt so bad, DS#1 asked a week ago if they could use the Chrismons I'd made for my mom and dad. We went to the storage shed and looked through tons of boxes but never found them. I told DH yesterday, They were with the white poinsettias and white and gold bows. None of us remember seeing anything like that. It's heart breaking, I worked for hours and hours on those ornaments. I found the pattern book when we moved, but now I have no idea where that is. Moving is a pain!

I went through my Christmas fabric stash and found some fabric that had little stained glass vignettes. I mounted them on felt last night and cut them out. Today I've been the glitter fabric paint momma. Greens and reds are done, blues and golds are left to do. Best get back to work so DS1 will have some ornaments for their tree.

Cokie
December 10th, 2017, 07:15 PM
Lazy day here. I had a migraine all day yesterday and slept in today. Feeling much better. Cleaned up the kitchen, then made some snack mix and am getting ready to dip some pretzels in almond bark. Need to do a couple loads of laundry tonight. Watched a little football and played on the computer for a little bit. Might do a little sewing while the laundry runs, we'll see. Supper will be tomato soup and grilled cheese - sounds good for a cold night.

MaryUK
December 10th, 2017, 09:22 PM
I've had a lazy day. Went to church this morning and we had an impromptu ladies choir practice after the service as the usual music practice was cancelled due to the weather - ice and snow!!
After lunch I sat down with my pusscat and watched the FC for a while (had 40 winks too). DH made our main meal at 6pm and afterwards I dug out the Christmas cards and started writing - have only got through half and will finish the rest tomorrow.

Best wishes and hugs to all!

MaryUK
December 10th, 2017, 09:23 PM
I've had a lazy day. Went to church this morning and we had an impromptu ladies choir practice after the service as the usual music practice was cancelled due to the weather - ice and snow!!
After lunch I sat down with my pusscat and watched the TV for a while (had 40 winks too). DH made our main meal at 6pm and afterwards I dug out the Christmas cards and started writing - have only got through half and will finish the rest tomorrow.

Best wishes and hugs to all!