PDA

View Full Version : disappointed today

Iris Girl
December 8th, 2017, 05:41 PM
So last week some of you will remember I made a set of coasters for a co worker who had a melt down and was in tears. When I gave them to her another co worker said of wow nice where my gift?... She is not one I would normally give a gift to but...its the season and I figured she liked homemade things... (they both hold low level management positions in the store). So I made her a set of pot holders. A snowman face and an ornament. Made sure I put insulbrite in them so they could actually be used, since she bakes a lot of cookies and cupcakes and muffins for us at the store. Gave them to her yesterday morning. First she set the package aside, then opened it said oh nice and set them down at another register. She walked away after she did not come back for 30 mins I brought them to my register. When she came by again I said you left these on the other register, lucky someone did not snatch them up go put them in your locker. She took them and disappeared in the back. Did not see them when I left yesterday so figured good in her locker they will go home. This morning I come in and they are laying on the breakroom table sill in the wrapping... This made me incredibly angry and I was very bad. I took them back and put them in my lunchbag to bring back home. (or maybe to give back to her if she inquired about them.) When she came in, she said nothing about forgetting them BUT said everyone at home liked them.... Was I bad to take them back or should I have left them to be kicked around the breakroom?

By the way the girl who got the mugrug and mug with key fob and change purse loved them and said she even needed a change purse!
End of rant hanks for listening.

Hulamoon
December 8th, 2017, 05:51 PM
How strange that she lied to you. How uncomfortable that must be in a work environment. I mean she's not your kid you can call out. Maybe she didn't want to admit it was gone because you told her to put it away and she feels bad that someone took it?

Georgie Girl
December 8th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Question? how can her family say they liked them when she never took them home. She obviously isn't going to ask about them if she already told you she took them home. Unbelievable. Don't worry about taking them back she isn't worth your talent.

auntstuff
December 8th, 2017, 06:14 PM
I would just hang them up where she could see them. Passive-agressive has its uses.

Star lover
December 8th, 2017, 06:15 PM
Some people.......so sad for you. I guess you let it roll off and now you have a gift ready for next year or in case something comes up this year you're ready!
I feel your pain, I've had it happen with my MIL......some people! Big hugs!

Cathy F
December 8th, 2017, 06:18 PM
I can understand your disappointment but you took the high road in making her a gift and gave it in the spirit of the season.
Try to put it behind you and take comfort in your other co-workers really appreciated your thoughtful gifts.

scooter15650
December 8th, 2017, 06:39 PM
I think you did the right thing. How rude for someone to act that way and then to lie about it. She doesn't seem like a very nice person. I hope she doesn't take the joy of you giving to others. I think you went out of your way to be nice to her. I would be touched if someone did something nice like that for me. You are a kind hearted person don't change.

0 Thanks

Midge
December 8th, 2017, 06:59 PM
I cringed when I read what happened, and I'm so sorry this jerk is bringing a shadow into your holidays. If there is any positive aspect to this incident, it is that you now have valuable information about the character of this woman. She will be openly rude and passive aggressive towards you and she will lie to your face. Never forget that you must protect yourself around her should any other incidents arise. On the other hand, the original gift recipient has also shown you her character, and that is something to be grateful for.

Kgrammiecaz
December 8th, 2017, 07:00 PM
Oh heck, I would have called her out right away. She is an adult, call her out. I guess I am not as nice as you folks are, I would have been livid and said something there and then and I would have still kept them to gift to someone who would appreciate them. You are truly a super lady!!!

grammaterry
December 8th, 2017, 07:05 PM
Oh my. I guess you should just chalk it up to experience. The fact that she rudely said "wheres my gift?" in the first place was enough. The fact that you made her something is exceptional. The fact that she lied is unforgivable.. Just turn the other cheek and use the gift as a random act of kindness.

DeniseSm
December 8th, 2017, 07:07 PM
Wow. Better to know what kind of lying person she really is. Hugs to you.

KPH
December 8th, 2017, 07:11 PM
April, I think I would have done the same thing. One thing I do know, she lied in your face. This is a woman that can't be trusted. Keep your spidey senses on high alert around her!

LLLinda
December 8th, 2017, 07:40 PM
Sounds to me like she wanted the same gifts you gave your friend and not the hot pads. Pretty nervy to ask for a gift and then not like what she got.

cv quilter
December 8th, 2017, 08:01 PM
April, You did such a nice thing, and she did such a low down thing....either she really didn't appreciate your thoughtful gift, or she was embarrassed that she didn't remember what she did with them and felt she had to "make up" a story about her family loving them. I think I would gently tell her you found them in the bathroom and ask if she just forgot she put them there, or ask why she felt she had to tell you the family loved them. If she is honest, she will answer either way, if not, I wouldn't bother with her again. You are obviously a thoughtful and giving person. You deserve honesty.

Hulamoon
December 8th, 2017, 08:18 PM
I agree with cv. Tell her you found them and why she did said that. You never know what the other person was thinking. She might be totally embarrassed and didn't know what to say to you. You need to work with this girl so the sooner the better.

Carlie Wolf
December 8th, 2017, 08:29 PM
I think you did the right thing. She's a brainless wonder and the nerve to lie too. Maybe you should put it aside and next year when she says "where's mine" you should hand them to her again.

bubba
December 8th, 2017, 09:20 PM
You are too kind! I would have pulled them out of my bag and waved them in her face and brought it to her attention that she is a BFL (Big Fat Liar!)

......I do not like liars.

Bubby
December 8th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Either way this hurts my heart for you. I've been in your shoes. (((HUGS)))

sew-what2015
December 8th, 2017, 10:28 PM
I agree with cv. I would talk to her privately and find out why she lied.

mischiefkat
December 8th, 2017, 10:36 PM
April,
I feel bad for you. You learned the saying "No good deed goes unpunished" the hard way. Take the package home,put it were you can't see it,and see what happens. Who knows what her story is. Hugs Kathy

am2901
December 8th, 2017, 11:24 PM
When the woman said wow where's my gift?, maybe she was just trying to be funny. Does anyone think that besides me?

jjkaiser
December 9th, 2017, 12:22 AM
I would not confront her about it because it might just start up some ugly business at work that will go on and on. Be happy you snatched them back (they sounded like very cute presents to me) and keep it your little secret. But do not trust this woman in the future she sounds like a big troublemaker. Sorry she did not like or appreciate your generous gift, especially when she had the gall to demand where's mine.

grammaterry
December 9th, 2017, 01:48 AM
Confronting her will not make you feel better and would probably just cause a lot of tension in the workplace. Think the good thoughts that have been put forth here, like perhaps initially she was just joking "wheres mine?" and then was embarrassed that you did make her something, then to compound it, she misplaced them and made up a story of thanks that you , of course, knew was a lie, but she doesn't know you know.'
Remember, be kind to everyone as we don't know what their burdens might be.
I had a customer at the restaurant that was always blatantly asking me to make her things. I usually gave her something small at Christmas time...she seemed more needy than greedy. She believed that the support she gave the restaurant warranted her special treatment. We all want to feel special, but most of us don't come right out and ask .

Iris Girl
December 9th, 2017, 06:55 AM
You all have given me great advice and some insight. I don't like to think bad of people but some never change. I have worked with this young woman in my past job also. Gifts were never exchanged but she is a needy person, she talks too much and never lets you get a word in edgewise and is a constant complainer. I just thought I was doing something nice since she bakes so much for the employees. I was wrong. A few people know she was given a gift would be interesting what she tells them if they ask about it. As some of you have said I have to work with her no sense making ill feelings. I will keep it my secret. They now have a place of honor in my kitchen. Both my sons and hubby said good they should never have left. My son that works same place as me does not think very well of said person and now even less, hubby also knows her casually from my previous job and has same opinion. In case some of you missed what I had made for her here is the pic.

Monique
December 9th, 2017, 08:49 AM
I would have whipped them out of my bag and said something like "Was this the pair they liked?" I would not be happy either.

Lori63
December 9th, 2017, 10:55 AM
April those are adorable! Sounds like you did the right thing.

sew-what2015
December 9th, 2017, 12:02 PM
It didn't cross my mind that it could cause tensions at work if you confronted her but it's true enough. Sometimes we have no idea why people do things they do but we may be surprised if we did find out the reasoning behind the behavior. I've always believed in being kind at all times although it is sometimes not easy to do.

Georgie Girl
December 9th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Looked at them again with your second posting. They are so cute maybe she didn't realize they were hot pads. Not that's any excuse for her behavior. It's a new day. Put it behind you and move on. We only make ourselves miserable by holding on. It's the holidays enjoy the love and happiness that surrounds you.

Iris Girl
December 9th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Looked at them again with your second posting. They are so cute maybe she didn't realize they were hot pads. Not that's any excuse for her behavior. It's a new day. Put it behind you and move on. We only make ourselves miserable by holding on. It's the holidays enjoy the love and happiness that surrounds you.

I specifically told her I made them with insulated batting so she could use them for hot pads or pot holders. There is just no excuse for some people. I am so over it and they look great in my kitchen! I did a good deed she rebuked it. My conscious is clear.

Star lover
December 9th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Yup, you're a better person!

laura44
December 9th, 2017, 12:55 PM
You are a wonderful, thoughtful person. Yep, let it go.
Life is too short. The potholders are super -duper cute!! Her loss!

MRoy
December 9th, 2017, 02:17 PM
I think you did the right thing. You said she is "low-level management". I don't know if your position is above or below hers, but confronting her could lead to retaliation affecting your job. Glad you're over it, but watch your back with this one.