PDA

View Full Version : Finally Friday Trivia

Star lover
December 8th, 2017, 08:08 AM
The fluted ring-shaped Bundt cake pan was introduced in 1950 by the Nordic Ware cookware company of Minnesota in response to a request from the local chapter of the women's philanthropic group Hadassah.

The ladies wanted an updated version of the baking pan traditionally used for the tall, yeasty, ring-shaped cake called kugelhopf or gugelhopf or kugelhupf which originated in Germany or Austria or Alsace. (Spelling and origin are up for debate.)

Sales really took off when a Bundt cake recipe took second place in the 1966 Pillsbury Bake-Off. Bundt cake has been a winner ever since.

Nordic Ware has sold more than 45 million Bundt pans

The winning 1966 recipe was "Tunnel of Fudge" by Ella Helfrich.

And here it is......

INGREDIENTS

2 cups walnuts or pecans, chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
teaspoon salt
1 cups unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-size pieces, softened, plus more for greasing the pan
1 cup sugar
cup dark brown sugar, packed
teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
⅓ cup vegetable oil
2 large egg yolks
4 large eggs
2 cups confectioners sugar
2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
cup natural cocoa powder

PREPARATION

1. Place a heavy baking sheet or pizza stone on a shelf in the lower third of the oven. Heat the oven to 350 degrees (see note).

2. On a large baking sheet, roast nuts in the oven for 10 minutes. Keep watch that they do not burn. Pour into a bowl, and add 2 tablespoons butter and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss well and set aside.

3. Generously butter the inside of a large 12-cup Bundt cake pan.

4. In a mixer, beat butter to soften until it becomes fluffy. Add sugar, then the brown sugar and continue to beat until airy. While beating, if the bowl does not feel cool, place it in the freezer for five minutes, then resume beating.

5. Beat in 3/4 teaspoon salt, vanilla and vegetable oil.

6. Beat in two egg yolks. Crack the four whole eggs into a large mixing bowl. With a small knife, cut yolks and barely stir the eggs, minimally blending the whites and yolks.

7. With the mixer on the lowest speed, beat the eggs into the batter in three batches. Mix in confectioners' sugar and the cocoa.

8. In a large mixing bowl, stir flour and nuts together. Then with a spatula stir the flour-nut mixture into the batter. Pour the batter into the Bundt pan.

9. Bake for 40 minutes. You cannot use the toothpick test because the cake contains so much sugar that the center will not set but will remain a tunnel-of-fudge. You are dependent on a correct oven temperature and the 40-minute cooking time.

10. When removed from the oven, the cake will have a runny fudge core with an air pocket above the fudge. About 30 minutes after taking the cake out of the oven, press the inside and outside edge of the cake bottom down all the way around to minimize the air pocket. Let the cake, still in the pan, cool on a rack for two to three hours. Invert the cake onto a platter and let cool completely.

Tip: This cake is supposed to have an oozing center, so a poke test will not accurately test doneness; you are dependent on a correct oven temperature and the 40-minute cooking time. Because of this, it is recommend using an external oven thermometer and also making sure your oven is properly calibrated.

What's not to like....chocolate and fudge! Enjoy!

Anitamae56
December 8th, 2017, 08:48 AM
That is really interesting. I don't see as many bundt cake anymore at things anymore. That recipe sounds really good , but very rich. Thank you.

Carol336
December 8th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Another interesting tidbit......thanks Anita. Your daily trivia is usually my first stop every morning.....always a fun way to start my day.

grammaterry
December 8th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Man, I spent all day yesterday reading cookbooks for what will I make ideas . That sounds terrific...but it also doesn't sound so easy

Hulamoon
December 8th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Bundt cakes always remind me of the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding. The mom brings one to meet the Greek parents and the Greek mom is confused. That scene always cracks me up. lol

Star lover
December 8th, 2017, 12:21 PM
Bundt cakes always remind me of the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding. The mom brings one to meet the Greek parents and the Greek mom is confused. That scene always cracks me up. lol

Me too....bababundt! My DH never gets it. But I laugh every time and I've seen in at least 4 times. Actually it's a great movie .....all of it! Gotta dig it up. Thanks for the reminder!

Georgie Girl
December 8th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Man, I spent all day yesterday reading cookbooks for what will I make ideas . That sounds terrific...but it also doesn't sound so easy

I agree. At first I thought oh sounds so good and then I read the instructions.. sounds more difficult then an advanced quilting paper piecing project or applique project with a million little pieces. I think the lava cakes might be easier.

KPH
December 8th, 2017, 07:16 PM
I used to make those Tunnel of Fudge cakes all the time when I lived in Greensboro. Seems like ages ago. I never had much luck with bundt pans for a lot of cakes though, my cakes would stick no matter what I did.

Mom found a glass bundt pan one year, shortly after we got married. It's the only bundt pan I use, it doesn't stick and cleans up very easily.