PDA

View Full Version : Thursday hellos

Monique
December 7th, 2017, 11:20 AM

Good morning my friends. Probably as I write, Thursday's thread is being written by one of you at the same time.

I am late to the group this morning. I awoke at 2, went back to bed at 4, that's why.

Well our Senior dinner was a resounding success again this year. We served up around 115 meals or so. We got to take leftovers home. So I have turkey, gravy, potatoes, turnips and buns for lunch/dinner today.

Yesterday I also worked on the "row". Let me just say thankfully I don't have to make 2 of them. Too many little pieces, and my machine applique is not my best work. From afar it looks great and my brother won't care. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law have officially invited us for Christmas dinner at their house. I shall look forward to that. I will be bringing homemade buns, my specialty.

Today will be more of the same, laundry, working slowly at the 'row' and may try my hand at some soup bowl cozies. They look pretty simple. My brother's wife commented on them at the fair. She told me I could probably make them, so I shall make her some. I do have to meet up with our secretary for Lionettes and get some computer work done (it's all in French). And then I am getting a much needed haircut tonight as well. As short as I can go.

Have a great day friends, no matter what you do. And smile, even though you may not have teeth. :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_ rofl::icon_rofl:

Star lover
December 7th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Good morning Monique......and all who'll follow. We waited for you......to pop out of bed!

Happy your event went well....and leftovers! Gotta love that. Nice to Christmas at someone else's home.....less for you to do!

I too have an appointment to get my hair cut.....maybe to my shoulders......it's been a year and it's waaaaaayyy down my back. My hair grows like it's on fertilizer. I should get it cut more often, but it costs $$$$. I have VERY heavy, thick hair. Over the years I've had many....many butcher jobs. No one likes to cut it. I finally found someone who not only likes to cut it, cuts it consistently! Bonus for me. So once a year works.

I've watching out my window....I see the dreaded white stuff!! The horror! I'm soooo not ready for it! It's covered everything with a light coating. Pretty, but the first snow is usually a nightmare. Somehow everyone forgets how to drive in it. Since I was going to be out getting my hair cut, I planned on a bunch of errands.....silly me...

Hope everyone has a fantastic day wherever you're planted in the world. Love and hugs to all!

grammaterry
December 7th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Oh, the dreaded haircut. I used to get mine trimmed every 6 weeks as a realtor I wanted to look good...then I became a chef and wore the stupid hat. So in the last ten years I've had a hair cut maybe 5 times. Right now, like Anita, mine is way too long. I can only wear it in a bun. Have been thinking of a hair cut, but this time of year, everyone is so busy, I just don't want to take the chance that they would hurry it along and I'd be disappointed. Probably wait till spring now.
Big Shriner Christmas party is Saturday . I want to take a dessert. I noticed the last two years that the women bring desserts for the dinner, but they told me they wouldn't think of asking me to contribute, so I'm going to just do it. What do you think? cookies, pie, cake?

JCY
December 7th, 2017, 11:48 AM
Yup, I waited, too, for Monique, since I didn't have time to post before 6 a.m. Clear skies here, sun is up. A very chilly 15 deg. with heavy frost this a.m. No white stuff here -- yet. We've had < than our usual snowfall for this time of year.

I saw my fam. dr. yest. afternoon about this chest discomfort. My EKG was normal. She thinks it's muscular, probably originating from my neck, where I have degenerative disk problems. She gave me some exercises to do to strengthen my neck & spinal column & my core. She thinks I'll start feeling better in a couple weeks. So...I guess I have my work cut out for me. Ugh! I don't like to exercise, but I know it's what I need to do. At least I slept well last night, so I feel more rested today.

I've set aside sewing until the Christmas letter & cards are sent out. I tweaked the letter yest. We've already received a few cards.

I feel so bad for all the folks in Calif. who are being displaced by the fires & have lost everything. It's bad enough any time of the year, but at the holidays, it makes it even worse. It's been a tough year for disasters, with the hurricanes, tornados, fires, etc. I hope the New Year will be better.

Monique
December 7th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Oh, the dreaded haircut. I used to get mine trimmed every 6 weeks as a realtor I wanted to look good...then I became a chef and wore the stupid hat. So in the last ten years I've had a hair cut maybe 5 times. Right now, like Anita, mine is way too long. I can only wear it in a bun. Have been thinking of a hair cut, but this time of year, everyone is so busy, I just don't want to take the chance that they would hurry it along and I'd be disappointed. Probably wait till spring now.
Big Shriner Christmas party is Saturday . I want to take a dessert. I noticed the last two years that the women bring desserts for the dinner, but they told me they wouldn't think of asking me to contribute, so I'm going to just do it. What do you think? cookies, pie, cake?

Terry you bake what YOU would like to make. I am not much help am I?

Monique
December 7th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Floods as well. It is bad all over.

JCY
December 7th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Terry ~ My go-to dish for potlucks is 5 Cup Salad, sometimes called Ambrosia. It's quick & easy. I make it a few hrs. before the event to allow the flavors to blend & the marshmallows to puff up. I double the ingredients.

2 (15 oz.) cans of mandarin oranges
1 ((20 oz.) can of crushed pineapple (unsweetened)
2 c. mini marshmallows
2 c. sweetened shredded coconut
2 c. sour cream

Chill the canned fruit ahead of time. Drain the fruit well, then mix all ingred. together in a large bowl. Chill in the refrig. 4-6 hrs. Stir again before serving. On occasion, I have frozen the leftovers in small, 1 serving containers.

This is what I'll be taking to my Lady Bugs potluck lunch tomorrow.

JCY
December 7th, 2017, 12:16 PM
Regarding hair cuts ~ I've been cutting my own hair for >30 yrs. It may not look totally professional, but it's satisfactory. I even had someone ask me one time where I got my hair cut. LOL I can't stand to go more than 6 wks. between hair cuts. I also cut DH's hair & used to cut my sons' hair when they still lived at home. (Now they're bald & shave off what little bit of hair is left! Both of them sport beards.) Just think of all the $ I've saved over the years. I have no idea what it costs now for a shampoo & cut. I was paying ~$20. when I quit going to the hairdresser.

Monique
December 7th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Mine charges me $10 for a haircut, no shampooing. Pretty good price I would say.

NanaMaggie
December 7th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Happy day before before new tutorial :D

https://www.pauladeen.com/recipe/pumpkin-gingerbread-trifle/ Recipe that is quick and easy and everyone seems to enjoy. Never anything but the bowl comes home.

The barber down the road charges $7.50 and does a great job - and he loves to trim the one eyebrow hair that sticks straight out! Wonder why my mom never mentioned old age obstinate hairs??

Time to put the computer away and get some work done on the table runners - 4 down and 3 to bind.

Have a super day y'all - may you check off everything on your to do list! Hugs

Mary Lynn
December 7th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Hair cuts must be on everyone’s minds. I had worn my hair in a short layered cut for years, so 3 years ago I started growing it out. Got through all the difficult stage of layers & get it to one length. It was mid way down my back & all I was doing was pulling it back into a bun, so I went & got it cut to where it just clears my shoulders. Feels better - not sure if it looks better but I like it.

Little skiff of snow last night, but it has snowed on & off most of morning. Forecast is for cold & snow showers everyday for at least 2 weeks, so I guess winter is here.

Going to start big stitch quilting a table runner now. Never done this before, so wish me luck!

MaryUK
December 7th, 2017, 07:26 PM
I've had a lovely day. It was my craft class this morning at my LQS - it's great sitting with like-minded ladies and having a good old natter!! I'm currently hand quilting a wall hanging for my sewing room - never thought I would do that but I'm having a ball - even bought a panel to do another one!!! One of the ladies gave a demonstration on hand embroidery stitches - haven't done that since primary school, may have a go in the new year.
This afternoon I started on some mug rugs for DD to go with the placemats I made last year. Tomorrow it is forecast snow and ice so instead of attending a Christmas market, I think I'll get ready for my scrapbooking workshop on Saturday then sandwich the quilt for DD - she has no idea so what a surprise that will be (even for me if I get it done by Christmas day).

Hope you'll all having a good day and take care with any snow or ice in your neck of the woods.

vickiep
December 7th, 2017, 08:06 PM
Terry ~ My go-to dish for potlucks is 5 Cup Salad, sometimes called Ambrosia. It's quick & easy. I make it a few hrs. before the event to allow the flavors to blend & the marshmallows to puff up. I double the ingredients.

2 (15 oz.) cans of mandarin oranges
1 ((20 oz.) can of crushed pineapple (unsweetened)
2 c. mini marshmallows
2 c. sweetened shredded coconut
2 c. sour cream

Chill the canned fruit ahead of time. Drain the fruit well, then mix all ingred. together in a large bowl. Chill in the refrig. 4-6 hrs. Stir again before serving. On occasion, I have frozen the leftovers in small, 1 serving containers.

This is what I'll be taking to my Lady Bugs potluck lunch tomorrow.

Joy,
I have been making this salad for probably 50 years, but I never thought about freezing it. I hope you donít think this is a crazy question, but do you eat it frozen?

KPH
December 7th, 2017, 10:35 PM
It's been a busy day here. J had home school. DIL found out that with his birthdate anything we do this year won't count. So, I guess we'll keep working little by little, more art. I tricked him today, he had 6 math worksheets that she pulled for him. He hates math worksheets. He can look at the problem, blurt out the answer, but it can take him 5 minutes to finally get the first problem done. Well, the timer was handy and I challenged him to focus and keep on task. I challenged him to finish it in 4 minutes, he said 5 but set the timer on 10 minutes. He started working, finished the first two things before the minute changed to 9. I told him to keep going. He finished in 3 minutes. I don't know why a 5 year old needs a worksheet with 25 addition facts, but we did the challenge again, a minute per row... done, in no time flat. I have my ticket to keep my sanity.

We finished his work, had lunch at Burger King and came home to pack up his stuff. He watched me free motion quilt for a little bit. I think it fascinated him. The mt. view quilting is done, now to trim the batting and backing. I think I'm just going to roll backing over to bind it.

DS#2 will be heading home from work soon. Too bad, DH and I had left over Taco Soup out of the freezer. There wasn't anything left. He'll get to have some other left overs (Chicken teriyaki, beef and noodles, or sausage gravy and biscuits) he won't go hungry, I'm just not cooking.

I hope everyone has had a great day!

LLLinda
December 8th, 2017, 02:52 AM
I'm late commenting today as I've been in my sewing room most of the day. JOY, great that the problem isn't your heart. Not so good about the degenerative discs. I've been making 5 cup salad forever too and never tire of it.