PDA

View Full Version : Totally Thursday Trivia

Star lover
December 7th, 2017, 08:07 AM
Was trying to use all the words with a T..... may have totally missed the mark....

Today's offfering....

Lhasa Apso dogs originated in Tibet, where Buddhist monks bred them as companions and watchdogs for monasteries. (Despite their small size, they're great protectors.) They have been around since 800 A.D. Their Tibetan name (Abso Seng Kye) means, "Bark Lion Sentinel Dog." They were protectors inside a dwelling and barked to alert when there were potential intruders.

The breed arrived in the United States in the 1930s via explorer/adventurer Charles Suydam Cutting, who visited Tibet and received a pair of Lhasa apsos a male named Taikoo and a female named Dinkai as a personal gift from the 13th Dalai Lama.

Although the average lifespan of a Lhasa Apso is 12-to-15 years old, many can live to their late teens, and some beyond 20. In fact, the oldest Lhasa Apso lived to be 29 years old.

148260. The Cuttings with a Lhasa Apso.

Never had one of these dogs and really don't want one either. But I was surprised at how old the breed was. I thought it was a recently bred breed.

auntstuff
December 7th, 2017, 08:11 AM
Yes, they sure can bark! I don't want one either.

Hulamoon
December 7th, 2017, 08:49 AM
That was interesting. I wouldn't want one either. I read they are hard to house break and I already went through that with a Shih Tzu/Bichon. We lasted about a year. He was cute and lovable, but I didn't want to kill him so I gave him away. lol

KPH
December 7th, 2017, 09:46 AM
That's some mix, Lorie. I looked it up, what an adorable looking pup.

Vonnie
December 7th, 2017, 10:50 AM
That was interesting. I wouldn't want one either. I read they are hard to house break and I already went through that with a Shih Tzu/Bichon. We lasted about a year. He was cute and lovable, but I didn't want to kill him so I gave him away. lol

Was this the one that was responsible for your broken wrist?

Vonnie
December 7th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Neat factoid! I love dogs.

Monique
December 7th, 2017, 11:22 AM
My friend down the street had one, scared the bejesus out of me with its bark. NO I don't want one either.

grammaterry
December 7th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Ohh, I think its adorable and if one came my way, I couldn't refuse it. :I knew the Shihtzue was bred as a lap dog and they carried them around in their sleeves

JCY
December 7th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Since DH & I were married, we've had no pets. When the kids were young, we had gold fish & guppies. I had a long haired tiger cat named Whiskers when I was in HS. I used to dress it up in my doll clothes. We lived out in the country, so it was allowed to roam.

Hulamoon
December 7th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Was this the one that was responsible for your broken wrist?

yea when I broke the first wrist. It was the retractable leash I just got and he pulled me off the curb coming out of the groomers. It wasn't really his fault. If the curb wasn't there I don't think I would have fallen.

I really loved that little dog, I just wasn't able to train him :(