PDA

View Full Version : Hump Day Trivia!

Star lover
December 6th, 2017, 08:10 AM
Wow, where is this week going......? Today's offering is of the weird and strange category.......

Kids in Iceland don't complain when they're given clothing for Christmas.

New clothes whether an entire outfit or simply a pair of socks protect them from the evil Yule Cat who, according to legend, prowls around and eats children who don't wear new clothes for Christmas.

The threat of being eaten by the Yule Cat was used by farmers as an incentive for their workers to finish processing the autumn wool before Christmas. The ones who took part in the work would be rewarded with new clothes, but those who did not would get nothing and thus would be preyed upon by the monstrous cat. The cat has alternatively been interpreted as merely eating away the food of ones without new clothes during Christmas feasts.

OR.....The peculiar legend might have come from a heartfelt intention: encouraging people to donate clothing to the poor so that everyone has something new to wear at Christmas.

I found references to both.

Either way, how could anyone make a cat so mean? And nightmares for children! .......and me!

Vonnie
December 6th, 2017, 09:34 AM
LOL! Reminds me of some of our stories that we read to children, like Hansel and Gretel.

Ever notice how violent our childrens cartoons are? Sylvester always trying to eat Tweety Bird!

Wiley Coyote and Road Runner.

Monique
December 6th, 2017, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't want to be eaten by Yule cat either.

Hulamoon
December 6th, 2017, 02:26 PM
I think I need new clothes. Every time I wake up my cat is standing and staring at me. Not sitting but standing. She actually creeps me out.When my dd brought her home and I said okay to keeping her, my other cat ran away. She's evil, lol

Georgie Girl
December 6th, 2017, 04:00 PM
I think I need new clothes. Every time I wake up my cat is standing and staring at me. Not sitting but standing. She actually creeps me out.When my dd brought her home and I said okay to keeping her, my other cat ran away. She's evil, lol

That is funny.

Star lover
December 6th, 2017, 04:13 PM

Funny! ........and yet creepy! Oh my, the visual makes me laugh! Ya made my day!