PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to a VERY wet Tuesday

Monique
December 5th, 2017, 08:58 AM

Good morning. It is pouring rain here this morning. Haven't we had enough rain this year? Geesh! Well I shouldn't complain, at least we don't have to shovel rain, do we?

Well my plans got thwarted yesterday. I have a huge walk in closet in my bathroom. Many many years ago my father build a couple of shelves in there and installed a light. Well, I went in there yesterday and got lost. I loaded up two large garbage bags full. I called my neighbour, who hasn't got much, and asked if she needed comforters and blankets. She came over and took all three comforters and some blankets. So I now have only 1, very loaded, garbage bag full. Things I have been hanging on to for years, sitting in the closet not being used. Comforters, blankets, pillow cases, doilies, some curtains, some table cloths that kind of stuff. Well they will find themselves into new homes I am sure. I got the closet rearranged with the Christmas decorations up front. They too will get weeded out very soon. I keep telling myself "What is the use in hanging on to these things? My children don't want them. The china cabinet will come next at some time in the very near future.

I also cooked my last pumpkin before it spoiled. Now I have to bag it and freeze the puree. I have a soup pot full.

So no sewing was had yesterday. I was too tired after purging. Today you ask? Possibly. I have so many things I need to do as well as sewing.

Tonight is our Christmas Supper Lionette meeting. I am so excited to give my SS her gifts.

Well that's it for now, have a great day my friends.

Star lover
December 5th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Ooooohhhh Monique. I must confess.......I love purging! I don't do it often (enough), but when I do...watch out! Everything is fair game. Drives my DH nuts. But I ask myself.....am I going to use this...ever? Will my kids? If there's a hint of no, it's gone. But as I say that, we still have soooo much stuff. We "inherited" lots of stuff when my in laws and parents moved. Can you hang onto this? We'll pick it up later......later turned into never. Kids married, moved out, left stuff. We have packed up some of their things, took them over, and dropped them off. Not our problem anymore. Gotta start again.....after Christmas.

Let us know how your gifts go over......I just know they're going to love LOVE em!

Raining and the wind is blowing something awful. Just a bit ago I heard something hit the roof. Probably a branch, but until daylight I don't know if it's still there or how big it is. Didn't hear anything worse, so I don't think there's any major damage.

But they're saying today is the big turn.....downward. Gonna get real real cold! I'm so not looking forward to it!

Well yesterday wasn't a total loss. I did sew together 2 blocks. Likin how these look. Only 34 to go. Probably not going to be done before Christmas. Which is OK....just that my sewing room will turn into a guest room, so I'm going to have to clean up in there......eventually.

Hope y'all have a fantastic day! Hugs to all......

MaryUK
December 5th, 2017, 10:01 AM
I had such a great day yesterday with DD, we went for our annual Christmas shop. We went to a shopping mall nearby by, then on to IKEA for a new unit and trolley for my sewing room, DD needed new cushions for her poang chairs then on to a retail park. We shopped til we dropped but had such a lovely time and was left with just one more gift to buy, yay!!

Today I took DH for a couple of shirts for part of his Christmas gifts from me and some new outdoor Christmas lights. So that's me done buying just need to get the quilts finished. Sew that's my plan for the rest of today (in between the washing).
Hope you all have a good day.

Lori63
December 5th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Monique, can't wait till tomorrow to hear how your SS loved the elephant!!!

DD1 is in her last few months of Chiropractic school. She found out yesterday she passed two boards and she passed with very high scores! She is still waiting on the results of the last board she took last month, so one more hurdle left then she'll have four months of continuing with adjustments then she'll be a Dr. of Chiropractic! We took her out to dinner last night to celebrate!

I have Thursday and Friday off work this week, hoping to get quite a bit of sewing in then.

Have a wonderful day all:)

Monique
December 5th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Monique, can't wait till tomorrow to hear how your SS loved the elephant!!!

DD1 is in her last few months of Chiropractic school. She found out yesterday she passed two boards and she passed with very high scores! She is still waiting on the results of the last board she took last month, so one more hurdle left then she'll have four months of continuing with adjustments then she'll be a Dr. of Chiropractic! We took her out to dinner last night to celebrate!

I have Thursday and Friday off work this week, hoping to get quite a bit of sewing in then.

Have a wonderful day all:)

That's wonderful Lori. Congratulate her for me.

Navy Wife
December 5th, 2017, 10:48 AM
The heavy rain is on our doorstep, so I think I'll stay in most of the day. I still have a UFO on the design wall. It might get finished this week. I have to go to a funeral tonight. They are coming closer and closer as I grow older.

I fell Sunday evening. My shoe caught on a crack in the concrete, and I went down hard! No major damage, but I look like a kid with my skinned knees! I am sore allover. Tomorrow is last checkup with the ortho surgeon. I'm sure he will xray the hip to make sure I didn't do any damage. I don't have any pain or unusual feelings, so I'm hoping all is well. That's the only place that doesn't hurt!

I have to get out today, rain or not. Groceries are a necessity since they are predicting snow on Saturday, and I don't venture out in the white stuff. Like most Southerners, I have no clue how to drive in it!

I hope you all have a great day. Prayers are being said for those who need them.

Linda

MissMay
December 5th, 2017, 12:29 PM
"Today I took DH for a couple of shirts for part of his Christmas gifts from me and some new outdoor Christmas lights." Oh MaryUK your DH will look really special wearing his new shirts and his new Christmas lights. My DH already has his Christmas present of new shirts but I think I'll get him some Christmas lights too, he'll look good in a multicolored string. LOL!

I"ve also been purging, attacking Christmas boxes this week. 2 years ago I gave our DGD Catherine the Christmas dishes as she and her DH host Christmas dinner. I also have been re-gifting our DGDs the ornaments they have made or gifted us over the years. Makes a small dent but it's a bit of progress.

Linda, Hope Doc says your OK.

KPH
December 5th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Good afternoon all,

We hit the ground running today. UPS store to have two gifts packed and shipped. The Dollar store for gift bags, Walmart for groceries mainly pantry restocking and a couple of things to put aside for Christmas dinner. I'm going to make the casseroles and wrap them up tight then all I'll have to do is thaw put the toppings on and bake.

DS#2 goes in at 2 today, gets off at 10 so we had our supper for lunch today. I guess we'll have sandwiches later. Right now, I feel like taking a nap!

I pulled thread for quilting the Mt. view. I'm hoping to get in there and get started soon.

Prayers for those in need. I hope everyone has a great day.

CraftyJnet
December 5th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Good morning/afternoon everyone! Today the pest control man comes today. He has an all natural mix that he sprays around the outside of the house (I think he said peppermint and rosemary?) to keep the bugs at bay. This is a new experience for us since we've never used a pest control company before. Other than that, I'll have a quiet day today. Maybe I will get some sewing in, we shall have to see. Hope all of you have a wonderful day!

JCY
December 5th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Good Morning, All ~ For only a few more min. It's almost high noon. Brrr! What a cold morning we had. It dropped to 16 deg. & frost. Since I sleep (by choice) in an unheated BR, I had to add another blanket to my bed last night.

This a.m. DH had a dental appt. for 2 fillings. He always manages to get them done without anesthetic. Over the years, he's developed a high tolerance for pain, so he just guts it out. I dropped him off then went over to the postal sub-stn. & mailed a quilt to my niece in TN. It's the "How Charming" quilt. It's a large lap size. She's 50ish & is caregiver for her mom. I hope it will brighten her day.

I reviewed the 2017 calendar yest. & made notes. I started formulating the annual Christmas letter. That will be on my agenda this afternoon. I also need to go through last year's Christmas cards, update addresses, etc. I used to save card pictures to use when wrapping Christmas presents, but...since we don't do presents any more, it's useless to save so many cards. I need to do some of that sorting & ridding out like Monique is doing. There is a children's home in our area--a faith-based ministry--that has a thrift store that I occasionally make donations to.

I recently ordered several used books from Thrift Books. A pile of pkgs. was on our porch this a.m. when we left for the dentist's. DH carried them into the garage before we left. Don't ask me why these delivery people don't have the courtesy to ring the door bell so we would go look! Very frustrating!

Well, on that note, it's time to go eat. Have a good rest of your day.

TMP
December 5th, 2017, 04:34 PM
I slept way to late. I think I could have stayed in bed longer but the dog was barking and I had to get up feed her and let her out (in the pouring rain ). I have finished 15 placemats and I think I am going to put that project to the side and work on my quilt today. I have cleaned the entire house except for my sewing room. I do try to pick up as I go but the floors need mopped . When you look at your dog and see threads clung to her fur I guess it time to clean up. Have a good rest of the day everyone.