PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday's Trivia

Star lover
December 5th, 2017, 07:47 AM
Today's offering.....

Winter isn't typical ice cream season, so Bill and Dorothy Harmsen, owners of The Jolly Rancher ice cream shop in Golden, Colorado, began selling candy to keep sales up during the cold weather. That's how the Jolly Rancher candy company was born in1949.

It started with Fire Stix, a flat bar of super-hot cinnamon hard taffy. Watermelon, green apple and other flavor "stix" followed.

At one point, the Harmsens estimated they were making a million pounds of candy a week in the Jolly Rancher candy kitchen.

I remember enjoying these........a long time ago!

Monique
December 5th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Interesting stuff. Where do you find all this?

Anitamae56
December 5th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Don't remember them, sure didn't know that about jolly ranchers.

Star lover
December 5th, 2017, 09:16 AM
Interesting stuff. Where do you find all this?

You don't want to live in my brain.......I hear, read, think of something and then have to track it down......I drive myself (and probably those around me) crazy most of the time!

A side note.....at one point I wore my hair like the pic of the girl above when I was young

KPH
December 5th, 2017, 03:09 PM
That's interesting! I wonder if they still have an ice cream connection.

Star lover
December 5th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Jolly Rancher was sold to Beatrice Foods in 1966 and to Leaf Brands in 1983. In 1996, Leaf North America was acquired by the Hershey Company.

In 2002, Hershey closed the Colorado plant and moved the manufacturing of the candy to Mexico to save costs.

Sigh....everything changes....