PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Christmas tree do you use...Fresh or Artificial???

Carlie Wolf
December 4th, 2017, 10:05 PM
I really love fresh trees and the scent of them. I swore I'd never get an artificial one. Each year the fresh get more and more expensive. When I moved here there is a place down the street that had beautiful tall wonderfully shaped trees for $20. All of them!!! I couldn't believe my luck! Last year they lost their resource and again this year. I guess the wonderful affordable option is over :-( I'm 70 this year so lugging the trees in and out etc is really getting difficult so I just bit the bullet and order an artificial one on line. It's 6'. I think the shape will be ok and it got a 4 star rating. I watched videos on "fluffing" the tree etc. I'm thinking of getting a few of the thick scented candles, maybe pine, bayberry and vanilla and I can pretend it's a fresh smell. I do feel a little sad though so I hope it turns out nice.

What do you all have? Are you happy with it? Any tricks to bring back that "old time" Christmas feel?? What did you do to make your trees uniquely you? :icon_wave:

Tracie T
December 4th, 2017, 10:25 PM
We used to get real trees when we were first married and then 15 yrs ago decided on an artificial. We've had the same one for all those years. I made the mistake of ordering an over the top, expensive artificial one off of the one shopping networks on TV about 2 years ago. It was prelit, could change from all white to colored until we got it and after only a couple days the lights started to act up. We packed it up, sent it back and pulled "old faithful" out of the storage room. Yes, we need to string the lights on ourselves, it's getting wore but it's beautiful and my husband is the best artificial tree shaper ever!

Each year we get our girls an ornament to put on the tree like my parents did for me. When I got married then I had a bunch of my own special ornaments to hang on my tree. I'm hoping someday my girls will take there ornaments and do the same.

What I like about the artificial is that I can put it up when I want and leave it up as long as I want without worry of it dying off before the big day gets here. Yes, the fresh smell isn't there but your idea of using a candle I feel will be just fine and you are right, the real ones are expensive to have to purchase each year.

Good luck with your new tree! I'm sure it will be just beautiful.

JCY
December 4th, 2017, 10:54 PM
We had a 6' artificial tree for years. Sometimes we used just the top half for a table tree. Ten yrs. ago we gifted it to DH's oldest son. For the past several yrs. we've had a small artificial table tree. It stays decorated all year. I cover it with a large garbage bag & store it in the bsmt. When it's time to set it up, all I have to do is remove the bag, carry it upstairs, plug in the lights, & it's ready to go. No muss no fuss. It's the only way to go. We had fresh trees in our younger years, but that's just not feasible now with DH's health the way it is.

URIBARRI-MAYOR
December 4th, 2017, 10:59 PM
When my daughters were small my husband located a mountain where there were cut pine trees and left us get a point that was not used for wood and our trees were big and beautiful, I live in a very mountainous country and we have many trees but when my daughters left from home I decided to change to an artificial one and my granddaughters like it because they say that no tree dies and everyone is happy, although as you say it does not smell like mountain and pine but there is still love and parties

jjkaiser
December 4th, 2017, 11:23 PM
We always get a real tree but you are right they are running around $35 now. Have been lobbying dh for 3-4 yrs to get an artificial one but he isn't ready. The reason I want one is every year I am afraid I will overlook some ornaments and they will wind up in the trash when we put it out on the curb. I think both kinds of trees are pretty.

KPH
December 4th, 2017, 11:36 PM
We have an artificial tree mainly because of allergies. My mom was a QVC junkie. She bought us sets of blown glass ornaments for several years. We have used them for years and I love them dearly. But, this year, I'm not pressing my luck using them with the grandkids around. I hit Michaels up for a bunch of foam stickers, wooden snow flake stickers, and a few floral picks. The kids love it and I don't have to worry about anything breaking!

lmanna
December 4th, 2017, 11:43 PM
We switched to an artificial tree several years ago so we wouldn't feel so guilty about unnecessarily killing a beautiful tree for approximately a month's worth of enjoyment. It took a little while to adjust but now we like it because it is non-messy, don't need to water it and the dogs don't feel the need to "mark" it :-)

We always get a real tree but you are right they are running around $35 now. Have been lobbying dh for 3-4 yrs to get an artificial one but he isn't ready. The reason I want one is every year I am afraid I will overlook some ornaments and they will wind up in the trash when we put it out on the curb. I think both kinds of trees are pretty.

Wow, Only $35 ? The "good" ones around where I live are easily over $100 and I live in the Pacific Northwest where trees are plentiful.

Carlie Wolf
December 4th, 2017, 11:57 PM
jjkaiser, a few years ago I decided to put my power vac to work. I'd take all the ornaments off and since the needles were old anyway I start at the top with the vac hose and just vac them into the canaster LOL. It saved me from sweeping up afterward and it was easier to see any holdover ornaments still up there :-) The other thing I noticed when I moved here was they do not pick up the old trees if you put them out with the garbage. You have to take them to a drop off point. All the tinncile (sp?) has to be off the tree too because they use it in the State Park Lake for erosion control of something. So even getting rid of the tree afterward is not convenient.

Anitamae56
December 5th, 2017, 12:00 AM
We have had artically tree for years, my son always has a real one , I think it is nice. One of daughters puts trees in 3 or 4 places in her house , one of them old aluminum one with the rotating on it, I also like it . My ornaments are very old, and have a lot of meaning to each one. I also have bubble lights on my tree . I enjoy them so much, they bring back a lot of memories and they are like the fireplace you can sit and stare at them forever.

chelea
December 5th, 2017, 12:33 AM
We always got a fresh-cut tree and kept it up for about 6 weeks. Then one year the tree stand leaked...thru the carpet and onto the hardwood floor, turning the wood black. When we took the tree down and noticed the carpet was wet, we peeled it back and were horrified to see the discolored wood. We got a flooring company in to take a look and they said it could be patched but we thought it would never look good and ended up replacing the whole floor.
We have a beautiful pre-lit flocked tree which, even at 6 ft, I can manage to set up by myself.
Joy, your method sounds like a dream. Years ago I knew someone who did the trash-bag method with a full-size tree which I thought was hysterical..but hey, it makes perfect sense!

Mary Lynn
December 5th, 2017, 07:27 AM
We have an artificial tree. The last time we had a real one was 12 years ago when my DGD was crawling around. Unfortunately the tree was the worst one ever for drying out & dropping needles even though we had it in lots of water. Every time DGD went near it she got handfuls of needles. The tree went out the door day after Christmas.

auntstuff
December 5th, 2017, 07:53 AM
There's just me, so I haven't put up a tree in 20 years. I really can't get into the whole "commercial christmas" thing.

Star lover
December 5th, 2017, 08:11 AM
When we first married, we had real trees. When the kids left and started having kids, we switched to an artificial. Funny, they all have real ones! Since we have such a small house, the best use of square footage is to put the tree on a table. To buy a real tree and chop it off, didn't seem worth it, hence fake. Plus I didn't want water on top of a beautiful antique table. It works, the grands can't reach it until they're old enough not to hurt it or themselves.

I found some real popcorn that was coated to preserve it and so it looks old fashion. I also put small wooden "cranberry" garland on it. All the ornaments are old fashion too.

The pre-lit tree keeps the popcorn and garland all year around......under a plastic bag. I hated creating from scratch every year. So now I just have to add the ornaments and topper.

Works for us.

Monique
December 5th, 2017, 08:39 AM
We always had a real tree and I hated them. I had carpet in the living room at that time and I was still picking out pine needles in June. And then having to haul it out after Christmas, no thanks. Most times I would go out and cut a tree, wrap a rope around my waist and haul the darn thing home. Hubby still harps about a real tree but I refuse to have one.

Cathy F
December 5th, 2017, 09:22 AM
We've had an artificial one for a number of years now. It's quite large and it seems to get heavier and heavier each year we have to start lugging it all up the basement stairs.if we don't get it up soon It just may not get up this year.

Vonnie
December 5th, 2017, 09:30 AM
We had one real tree when our oldest was a baby. When we took the tree out the door to dispose of it, the tree was larger than the doorway so we just pushed it on through. Lesson learned. DON'T DO THAT! It was worse than a porcupine shooting needles all over our carpet. We had to get down on our hands and knees and pick up every one of those needles. So we got a 6' artificial tree after that and the years that we had toddlers in our house, we put the artificial tree in the playpen.

The first four years of our marriage, before kids, we lived in a teeny tiny trailer. I bought a 1' ceramic tree with lights made into it. Sat it on top of the stereo cabinet. Just right for the two of us.

Now that the kids are grown and we don't have grands yet, I just put up a Christmas wall hanging and put gifts on a table under the wallhanging.

MaryUK
December 5th, 2017, 09:52 AM
We have had real trees in the past but the needles shedding drove me nuts! We had a rooted tree one year and even that shed it's needles so we planted it in the garden and watched it grow!!
We've had artificial trees ever since which is handy for us as we put it on a table in the corner of the room. After decorating it I always put Christmas pot pouri in bowls around the house and it gives a lovely smell throughout.

sassygranny
December 5th, 2017, 10:55 AM
We're in our seventies. No grandchildren. Don't really "celebrate" the holidays. I got weary of the labor of decorating and undecorating years ago. But, we have an antique wooden chest upon which I display one of those '70s ceramic trees made by my husband's mom back in the day. We put a few gifts around it, and it looks quite festive. No muss...no fuss. I do keep some fir and spice scents going in a warmer during the season for effect.

Lori63
December 5th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Artificial here too. Had real trees when the kids were little, but like almost everyone else, I got tired of the needles, plus our cats loved the real trees too.
We then got a huge prelit artificial tree and had it for several years, but the lights started shorting out so we decided it was time for a new one. Last year I picked out a slim tree and love it. It's tall, I think over 7 ft, but it doesn't take up much floor space which is nice.

This year is the first year we don't have pets so I can get tinsel to put on the tree, I love tinsel!

Navy Wife
December 5th, 2017, 11:05 AM
We've had artificial trees for many years. DDIL is allergic to real ones. The one we have now is pre lit, but we've only had it out a few times in recent years. Most of the time we left on Christmas Day to drive the RV to Florida. I didn't have time to take down a tree, and didn't want to face it in April!

Now I have no excuse except our advanced age. The boys were teasing us about being scrooges! I told them they were welcome to come over and put it up and take it down! They did last year, but I haven't heard anything about it this year!

Astatoo
December 5th, 2017, 11:13 AM
We would go with our kids, when they still lived with us, to cut our own. It was a special outing and we all enjoyed it. After they flew the nest we tries an artificial one and it just does not have the same feel for us so now we go "hunting" for one. We need a small tree for our small house and enjoy our reputation for finding the oddest shaped tree on the lot. Truth be told we now know a lot that has less expensive trees and they are far from perfectly shaped. We do not put it up very early-our anniversary on Dec. 17 and that is the day we put it up so it is not up long enough to loose a lot of needles.

MissMay
December 5th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Like many of you we started with live trees but when our older boys got to teen age they lost interested in going out to pick a tree . Since tree picking never did interest DH that left our 9 year old youngest to help me pick a tree. It was a cold and windy day and I had him hold 2 tall trees so I could choose the best looking one when a big gust of wind blew him and the trees away, that year and ever since we've had an artificial one. In fact now that his kids are grown he has a Snoopy tree!

Carolnnc
December 5th, 2017, 02:33 PM
I love a real tree, especially the smell. I have very old, antique glass tree ornaments and one year I tried them on a fake tree and it looked so weird. I decorate the inside and outside of our house (even the bathrooms) I love the season and decorate just for myself. Some years no one sees my inside decorations but I don't care. DH and sons never cared about Christmas or decorating.

CraftyJnet
December 5th, 2017, 03:10 PM
We have an artificial tree. I miss the smell of the real trees so I try to buy a real wreath or some evergreen boughs so we have the best of both worlds.