• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Divine Daisy
    Missouri Star
    • May 2011

Some People!!

After everyone's kind kind words about The Wise Old Cat and the Quilt story and quilt which I shared with her, Heather went to the Baby Shower yesterday and came back heartbroken and furious.

First let me say that Baby Showers are an American thing being taken up in this country by some. Maybe we don't know how to do them right but the few I have heard about here have not gone well with the feeling that the mother has done it more for the swag than to celebrate with her friends.

The mother open the quilt and said......oh. um........nice. And put it aside. Yeah, thanks she said. Later Heather was clearing away wrapping paper and found the story screwed up amongst the paper. The quilt had been tossed aside. She heard the mother say to someone.....yeah, I looked for a label but there wasn't one. Probably her mother threw it together in 10 minutes. Just a cheap homemade thing, she has no class. Oh, and a 'story' (she made comma signs with her fingers) on a scrappy bit of paper she must think I am dim, as if I would read my baby an amateur story. I can't believe she would give my precious baby such a cheap thing.

So that's it as far as Heather is concerned. This woman can have another 10 babies and she will never get another quilt or anything from her and if her mother in law asks why Heather will tell her! Oh my, she ranted on for ages.

So I would like to thank everyone again for being so nice about the quilt and story, because Heather felt it was loved and would be valued by someone who was nice. I am fine about the reaction because Heather liked the quilt and loved the story which made her remember the stories I used to write for her when she was a little girl. Also I have met people before who do not value handmade things without labels.

Some people are just b*tches.
    Blog
    http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Caroline T.
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2016

Re: Some People!!

I'm so sorry Heather witnessed such ugly behavior from her so called (insert air quotation marks) friend. But keep in mind your wonderful works still had a positive effect on Heather, by bringing back joyous memories of your gifts of stories that you gave her as a child.

We've all experience ungrateful recipients of our gifts, but it's the gracious one's that we must remember and hold in our hearts. P

Comment

• Divine Daisy
      Missouri Star
      • May 2011

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
      I'm so sorry Heather witnessed such ugly behavior from her so called (insert air quotation marks) friend. But keep in mind your wonderful works still had a positive effect on Heather, by bringing back joyous memories of your gifts of stories that you gave her as a child.

We've all experience ungrateful recipients of our gifts, but it's the gracious one's that we must remember and hold in our hearts. P
      yes, Caroline, thats what I told her. I have had this before and am not worried, it's Heather who is upset, which makes me mad! lol. This is not a 'friend' but is her Sister in law.......so...........
      Blog
      http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• jjkaiser
        Missouri Star
        • Oct 2013

I have been away from the forum trying to finish a Christmas project so I missed your original post. This sounds positively awful!! When I have time I will go back and read the entire story. So sorry this happened. It is so aggravating when someone not only doesn't appreciate a home made quilt, but then has the audacity to make critical spiteful remarks about it too. Grrrr.
        Jocelyn
        South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• Hulamoon
          Missouri Star
          • Jul 2012

Well that made me cry. How sad how some people act. One of my own daughters really hurt my feelings. I had a necklace made for her from Etsy and you know what she said. I love it mom, it's the first thing you have gotten me that I really like. I stopped giving after that, but now that she moved back to this island I don't want to be rude and just give to her sister if they come over together. I never told her how she made me feel.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

• toggpine
            Missouri Star
            • Aug 2009

Send the Witch a bill for the custom quilt and the story.

You can tell Heather her SIL just made a lot of enemies around the world with her poor behavior. Her momma should have taught her more respect than that. You are always gracious when receiving a gift, even if it isn't your favorite.
            Ooh! The more I think of it, the more I want to take her out behind the barn for a bit of a life lesson.

Daisy, thank you for sharing the story with the rest of us! It was truly a gift, and made me think of including a book with quilts I give in the future, as I doubt I could write such a nice story.
            Be who you are and say what you feel
            because those who mind don't matter,
            and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

• pcbatiks
              Missouri Star
              • Mar 2012

Daisy, I'm so sorry that this happened to Heather and you. I can see why she was so upset....I would have been too. There is no explanation for some people's obnoxious, mean, hateful behavior. Let Heather know we are irritated right along with her. Cathy, I agree....a trip behind the barn might be helpful in adjusting the SIL's attitude.

Maybe Heather should ask for the quilt back and she could give it to someone who needs and would appreciate a cute & warm baby quilt.

If it were me, there would no more gifts given to the SIL.
              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

• Iris Girl
                Missouri Star
                • Jan 2013

Just goes to show some are not quiltworthy. That made me sad and angry that anyone would react like that to begin with to a homemade gift and handwritten story...not to mention doing it in earshot of the person who gifted it. What manners. I would send her a bill for custom quilting and writing. We love your stories here and all the quilts you show with stories attached to them. This is what memories are made of.
                sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Kgrammiecaz
                  Missouri Star
                  • May 2013

So very sad. Had it been me, the quilt and story would have returned home with me.
                  Karen
                  Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

• TMP
                    Missouri Star
                    • Apr 2014

I just can't believe this. I loved your quilt and story. It made me smile. I have plans to include a story with baby quilts I make in the future.
                    Some people are just flat out rude . The best gifts come from the heart and you gave her two. I just can not imagine someone not wanting something that someone took the their time to make just for them.
                    Teresa
                    Pelham, Alabama
                    War Eagle!!!

Comment

• auntstuff
                      Missouri Star
                      • Nov 2017

I am really sorry for that child for being born to such an ugly excuse for a human. Please do gt the quilt back if you can. It isn't deserved.
                      She who dies with the most quilts is......
                      Still dead.
                      What's your hurry?

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2012

That is so sad! Darling story and gift from the heart, not some store. Non- quilt- worthy people for sure! Too bad your sweet daughter and you had to experience such pettiness.

Comment

• Monique
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2011

I too would be terribly hurt, I don't blame Heather. There wouldn't be another gift given to 'these' ungrateful, rude and classless people. Tell Heather that I enjoyed the story very much to go with the quilt.
                          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Deegles
                            Missouri Star
                            • Oct 2014

I find that either they have a clue or they don't when you gift it. You know babies are amazing little critters and may latch onto this quilt and drag it all over the place. The babies momma will get attention if this happens and I bet someone will comment along the way the time and cost that went into it. Sounds like she may not be mature enough to be a mother yet. The baby will change things.
                            Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Deegles
                              Missouri Star
                              • Oct 2014

Oooooo you could go just take it back, and say you made a huge mistake. That would not teach her and the child will suffer greatly with this mother and it is for the baby. I wonder if this story was shared with the father?
                              Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X