PDA

View Full Version : Migraine headaches books

jjkaiser
December 2nd, 2017, 02:37 AM
My dd was recently dx with migraines and she gets them once a week or ten days. She is just miserable. I hoped to get her a book on them thinking it might give her suggestions on how to deal with the pain or prevent them but there's so many books out there! She works full time and has two kids under 5 so is not able to crawl off to bed when one comes on. And she is only 26 so this is likely to continue for many years. She did get an Rx from her doctor but says it is hard to function when taking them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cokie
December 2nd, 2017, 03:56 AM
I have dealt with migraines for years and they are miserable! I would suggest that she try to determine what triggers her migraines. Keeping a food diary might help, as well as documenting things like how much sleep she gets, the weather (changes in the barometer can trigger migraines), stressful situations, etc. My mom has some food triggers (foods with nitrates, chocolate, and some others - MSG is a huge trigger in some people). I don't have any food triggers that I have been able to identify, but weather changes and sleep problems are big triggers for me. It is also important to stay hydrated, and sometimes a caffeinated beverage will help for some people. I have found that if I can't go to bed, turning down the lighting will sometimes help (I've been known to turn off the lights in my office and work with just the light from the window and computer!). A warm compress on the back of my neck also helps too, because it relaxes the muscles in my neck and shoulders that tense up due to the headache. I hope your daughter can find some relief. My headaches started when I was 21 and I've had them my entire adult life. They are no fun!

bubba
December 2nd, 2017, 04:12 AM
After a serious car accident in the early 90's, I had terrible migraines, several times a day! I had sustained a double concussion, hitting the side window with the left of my head and being hit with a flying six pack of Pepsi on the right. I also had serious back injuries which led to muscle spasms for which I was prescribed amitriptyline. It works great for the spasms, but it was also found to be good for migraines, and they for the most part, went away. I'd still get them every few days, but that was better than several in one day.

One day, I was reading a Readers Digest and there was an article that mentioned eating popcorn daily helped with migraines. I started eating it daily, every morning as soon as I got to work. They started getting further apart and after about three months, I was rarely getting them at all! Everyday as soon as I'd get to work, I'd pop a snack size bag of popcorn and that was my breakfast....great source of fiber! I'm sure the stress of the job had part to do with it, and now that I'm retired, I still have popcorn a couple times a week. I swear by it....

chelea
December 2nd, 2017, 04:55 AM
I have suffered from migraines for 50 years. My advice is to find a neurologist who specializes in headaches. Go to AmericanMigraineFoundation.org to find one in your area. There's also lots of good info on that website. I hope this helps.

Iris Girl
December 2nd, 2017, 06:25 AM
I occasionally get migraines. For me the are weather triggered. Both my sons also have the same issue. We are *barometer heads*

Cokie has given you great info. Definitely need to do a food diary to track things. Chocolate, spicy or cold cuts, hot dogs can be triggers. I had a cousin who wine was her trigger. I worked with a gal who cigarette smoke was her trigger.

redcaboose1717
December 2nd, 2017, 07:00 AM
One of the very best doctors for migraines is Dr. Joel Saper. He is based in Ann Arbor, MI . People come to see him from all over the world. His clinic is like no other....

Here's the website in case you are interested.
M H N I
(734) 677-6000
http://www.mhni.com/headache-pain-faq/migraine-headaches

I have been to Dr. Saper and his clinic.
IF you can't travel to his clinic, place a call to M H N I and at least talk with someone at the clinic. They might be able to tell you where the nearest clinic in your area is that Dr. Saper could have an colleague that might be able to help. M H N I's staff is absolutely amazing.

(IF anyone reading this and it interested in contacting M H N I's Dr. Saper and needs info about travel and places to stay, please don't hesitate to send me a PM. I live within 35-40 miles of Dr. Saper's clinic and would love to help you if needed.)

meliswan
December 2nd, 2017, 10:39 AM
I have heard that Botox injections help with migraines. I have no personal experience with it, only heard about it.

grammaterry
December 2nd, 2017, 11:09 AM
I sold herbs for 20 years before I owned the restaurant. Many of my customers had migraines and we found that liquid fenugreek taken daily prevented the onset.

snippet
December 3rd, 2017, 10:37 PM
I'm a barometer head as well. Keep track of the weather as well as your food intake to determine the triggers. Caffeine helps me a lot as it shrinks the blood vessels which help decrease the pain. But for some caffeine is a trigger.

I swear by my prescription and take it whenever I feel a migraine beginning. That's the key - act fast!

There are several medications for migraine, if one is now working for her lifestyle, go back and try another. Some people say blood pressure medications help their chronic migraines too.

Midge
December 4th, 2017, 04:30 AM
My dd was recently dx with migraines and she gets them once a week or ten days. She is just miserable. I hoped to get her a book on them thinking it might give her suggestions on how to deal with the pain or prevent them but there's so many books out there! She works full time and has two kids under 5 so is not able to crawl off to bed when one comes on. And she is only 26 so this is likely to continue for many years. She did get an Rx from her doctor but says it is hard to function when taking them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

When I was practicing I found that some people accept what is known as preventive therapies (medication you take on a daily basis to keep most if not all your migraines from occurring) best while others prefer abortive therapies, or medications you take to stop as migraine as soon as the prodromal phase starts. There are many different agents in each category. It is a matter of trial and error based on treatment algorithms to determine which will be best. In the meantime there are two things to be done. First, she should get paperwork from her employer to apply for FMLA so she does not get fired for excessive absence. Second, she must go back to her doctor right away and explain it’s not working out. She needs further evaluation, preferably from a neurologist. Other conditions should be ruled out. In the meantime she should start keeping a detailed calendar of notes about the occurrence of the headache, duration, severity, symptoms, etc. There’s more, but this will get her started. Good luck to her. I know from personal experience when you find the right drug life gets much better.