PDA

View Full Version : To Those Of You Who Have Children or Grandchildren who are required to be in CAR SEATS......

redcaboose1717
November 30th, 2017, 04:19 PM
I just found this .....
Please take a look, and if you have children follow these instructions. IF you have grandkids, pass this on :

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/healthtrending/car-seat-alert-the-winter-coat-mistake-that-can-endanger-your-child/ar-BBFY037?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

KarenC
November 30th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

auntstuff
November 30th, 2017, 05:22 PM
There is NO way I'm going to get into a cold car in the winter and drive without my coat!

KPH
November 30th, 2017, 07:47 PM
That's interesting, said the grandma whose grandchild showed up in shorts, t shirt, and flip flops this morning. I doubt I'll have to worry too much, since their winter wear is still pretty light weight.

Carolnnc
November 30th, 2017, 07:55 PM
My DS told me this when his kids were babies. If I had to transport the little darlings I warmed a quilt in the dryer and tossed it over them after I got them buckled in. They are now 11 & 9 and when we get ready to go somewhere in the winter they still heat a quilt. I don't like feeling bundled up so I never wear a coat. I heat a rice bag and put it in my lap when I get in the car. I am also thankful for heated seats!

auntstuff
November 30th, 2017, 08:08 PM
Try that when its 10 below 0!

Astatoo
November 30th, 2017, 08:10 PM
Wow! It is a wonder how any of us lived to be adults. The car seats we used for our kids have been determined to be unsafe and I myself was known to stand in the backseat, looking out the front of the car.

RockinLou
December 1st, 2017, 12:17 AM
Wow! It is a wonder how any of us lived to be adults. The car seats we used for our kids have been determined to be unsafe and I myself was known to stand in the backseat, looking out the front of the car.

There are a lot more vehicles which are a lot larger traveling at much higher speeds today, especially in the US. My kids are now 6 & 8 and are past this phase, but I never found it difficult to buckle them in wearing a fleece coat, hats, gloves and putting a blanket over them. It is different in an adult belt because we are mostly restrained at the hip with the lap belt.

Im currently living in a country with one of the highest road fatality rates in the world, im sure much of that has to do with the total disregard for basic safety of belts and car seats.

Simply Quilting
December 1st, 2017, 01:52 AM
One of the biggest problems that causes this issue is what many of us call puffy coats. The amount of give these coats have can be huge as in a couple of inches which during a crash can be enough to send the child out of the restraint.

And sadly, the issue isn't just coats but the carseat restraints themselves. The type of carseats that I have a very hard time finding safe are the booster seats that just sit into the car. Thankfully, we have not been in wreck but the times that there have been sudden stops or turns has caused the carseat to shift which put the child into an unsafe position. There has been one wreck that I know of where the child was killed due to a booster seat slipping because during the crash he slipped out of the seatbelt and ended up outside of the car even with the seatbelt still buckled.

RockinLou
December 1st, 2017, 05:05 AM
One of the biggest problems that causes this issue is what many of us call puffy coats. The amount of give these coats have can be huge as in a couple of inches which during a crash can be enough to send the child out of the restraint.

And sadly, the issue isn't just coats but the carseat restraints themselves. The type of carseats that I have a very hard time finding safe are the booster seats that just sit into the car. Thankfully, we have not been in wreck but the times that there have been sudden stops or turns has caused the carseat to shift which put the child into an unsafe position. There has been one wreck that I know of where the child was killed due to a booster seat slipping because during the crash he slipped out of the seatbelt and ended up outside of the car even with the seatbelt still buckled.

This is why the recommendation is to use a 5 point harness as long as possible (though there are height and weight limits) ... the Role of a belt positioning booster is simply to guide the seatbelt so it rests at the hips and shoulder, these really should only be used with children with the weight, bone density and maturity of sitting still. My 8 year old has the bone density, but she is petite, so we still have her in a booster. Yes, she belts herself, but I also double check it every single ride. She is so short she might be in a booster until high school ...

redcaboose1717
December 3rd, 2017, 04:18 PM
There is NO way I'm going to get into a cold car in the winter and drive without my coat!

I just wanted to add that for years I haven't worn a coat while in the car during the winter I always wear the coat outside and into the garage, and just prior to getting into the car, I take my coat off.....I started doing this when in High School almost 45 yrs ago. I still don't wear a big winter coat in the car. The last few cars / SUV's we have had have heated seats which I love.

When I posted this link....I didn't think about those of you who live in warmer climates and most likely don't ever wear winter coats.

I just thought the article was important....and posted it. I do think that car seats help save lives. I remember when my 1st son was born, car seats ( in 1975) were not a mandatory law back then.....the car seat he had really wasn't that safe....My niece that was 6 wks older than my son was allowed to stand up, in the middle of the bench seat between my sister & her DH when she was old enough to stand up. I remember a couple of times being in the same car(in the backseat ) and when my BIL stopped suddenly, my sister's arm would fly out to try to "hold" my niece Angel back...( which would have been impossible really if there had been an accident) .....and I think about that nowadays and just shudder to think what might have happened had my sweet little niece had, God forbid, went thru the windshield.

sherriequilts
December 4th, 2017, 01:46 AM
It is a very important and excellent reminder for those of us whose children are now adults. Yes some things never change with babies and kids but a lot of great positive things do change. As a gma myself I would never want one of my grandchildren injured or worse just because I refused to accept the new recommendations for car seat safety.