PDA

View Full Version : Do you have floaters in your eyes?

Hulamoon
November 22nd, 2017, 02:31 AM
I knew about them but just discovered I have them now. It's only when I look at the sky. I looked it up and that is pretty much when you see them, on light backgrounds. Any experience with this?

kimsophia
November 22nd, 2017, 03:34 AM
I've had one since high school. It looked like a pair of old fashioned glasses, with the earpieces that curl on the ends. I could see it looking at a white wall. I guess it broke up over time, but I still have some. My eye doctor said if you suddenly have way more than usual to see him.

redcaboose1717
November 22nd, 2017, 04:05 AM
Lorie, I don't have eye floaters, but I have a good friend whose DH has them. Have you seen a doctor to discuss this ? There's some speculation that this could be signs of other problems or it could be nothing, so it's better to err on the side of caution, and make an appointment with your Optician or your Opthomologist. My friend's DH says that rolling his eyes will help lubricate the eye....Also, I would recommend taking these vitamins.(my friend's DH takes these vitamins as well) My Opthomologist recommended these. :
https://www.riteaid.com/shop/bausch-lomb-ocuvite-eye-health-formula-soft-gels-30-softgels-0367258?ra_group=gPLA30pct16&msclkid=e7b1ff352e2612fd7475a5200f2229a8&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%5BPLA%5D%5BNB%5DCMP%7CBrands&utm_term=4580702880666673&utm_content=Health%20Care%20%26%20Medical%20-%20Vitamins%20%26%20Supplements
I also think that my friend's DH uses saline eye drops occasionally. You can find these in any drug store.....
I like these single use drops. You can put them in your purse, they're easy to use etc.
https://www.riteaid.com/shop/refresh-plus-lubricant-eye-drops-sensitive-single-use-containers-30-0-01-fl-oz-0-4-ml-containers-0031126?ra_group=gPLA30pct16&msclkid=534bca5a1b431dacee5a904f397ee32f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%5BPLA%5D%5BNB%5DCMP&utm_term=4580359283337094&utm_content=Personal%20Care%20%26%20Cosmetics%20-%20Eye%20Drops%20%26%20Lubricants
You can find store brands of these vitamins and the saline eye drops too....I use store brands and have no trouble. I do however wear contact lens and use this product ( below to store and clean my contacts) :
https://www.riteaid.com/shop/opti-free-replenish-disinfecting-solution-multi-purpose-twin-pack-2-10-fl-oz-300-ml-boxes-0304129
If you haven't 'been to your optician in awhile, I would make an appointment.

JulieC
November 22nd, 2017, 04:55 AM
I have one my left eye -- when I first got it, it was very annoying! I see it mostly when looking at stuff that is white, or when looking at the sky. I told my eye doctor about it, he said the eye was sound, but the floater could last weeks, months, or the rest of my life. I've had it almost two years, and notice it less. It hasn't gone away, I just learned not pay attention to it.

Star lover
November 22nd, 2017, 08:03 AM
Wow, I'm feeling a tad better......I've had floaters all my life! Drives me batty (not really a drive, just a short walk, for me). I keep waving at what I think are bugs bugging me.....but alas, no them dang floaters! The eye doc keeps an eye (hee, hee) on them. Guess things can go bonkers. But so far so good. I have several of them in both eyes and I see ......whenever, not just white background......ah well, I could be seeing spiders.... now that would be a freaky trip.

Bubby
November 22nd, 2017, 08:10 AM
I recently had floaters for a few days. I kept trying to swat at them as they floated by. They lasted 5-6 days and are gone now.

KPH
November 22nd, 2017, 09:56 AM
I've had them as long as I can remember. Mom thought I was making up stuff, so I just quit telling anybody about them. I have other eye issues now, protein is growing on one of my cataract lenses. Dr. said it would grow and would have to be removed, but nothing to worry about yet. My field of vision is shrinking. So, the floaters have taken a back seat for a while.

grammaterry
November 22nd, 2017, 10:53 AM
I've had them off and on for years. I say that but I a may have just learned not to see them. I remember, trying hard to focus on them and see what they looked like but they kept moving out of my field of focus. I just looked for them now and there is one way off to the side but I can't get it to hold still to see what it really looks like. lol

Hulamoon
November 22nd, 2017, 11:33 AM
I recently had floaters for a few days. I kept trying to swat at them as they floated by. They lasted 5-6 days and are gone now.

I was swating them too. lol

I've had them off and on for years. I say that but I a may have just learned not to see them. I remember, trying hard to focus on them and see what they looked like but they kept moving out of my field of focus. I just looked for them now and there is one way off to the side but I can't get it to hold still to see what it really looks like. lol

Funny, I did that too. It's hard to keep your eyeballs still! I saw two different types, some are light with a ring in a cluster and one dark with a ring by it's self.

I want to find a different doctor. The one I have has gotten so big (his practice) that I don't even see him anymore. He has the assistants do the tests. You just look into a box.

Carlie Wolf
November 22nd, 2017, 11:41 AM
I've had them for a long time. At first it was annoying but now I don't often react. The most annoying ones are where I feel something is passing just outside my focus of vision from the side. I tend to turn toward it thinking it's a bird or something flying by the window or something coming up toward me. It's worst on the left because it's the weak eye I often don't use when both eyes are open.

Doloris
November 22nd, 2017, 04:55 PM
I had them really bad for a while and went to have a checkup just to make sure it wasn't something serious. All was ok and it was just floaters. Started taking Ocuvite (I take the walmart brand) and they seemed to diminish. that was probably about 5 years ago. I still take the ocuvite. Just had a checkup again (Different Dr) because I suspected the beginnings of a cataract. I was right and had a thorough exam and also told him I was taking the ocuvite. He was very pleased about that and told me to keep taking it, that it was really good for your eyes

BethB
November 22nd, 2017, 10:03 PM
I used to have light floaters. They looked like little things you might see under a microscope. About a year or so ago, I developed a dark one in my left eye. I would swat at it b/c I thought it was a bug, but then realized it was the floater. I am pretty used to it by now, but still can be seen swatting at it, once in a while. The eye doctor says my eyes are healthy and not to worry.

Nancy

chelea
November 24th, 2017, 02:18 AM
I've had them for a long time. Recently I started having flashes of light in my peripheral vision so I had an eye exam and was diagnosed with vitreous detachment. It's common as we age, usually doesn't affect vision and no treatment is required. My advice is to have an eye exam. Visual changes can signal something serious.

shawnan
November 24th, 2017, 04:21 AM
I went to the optician and she promptly sent me to see the ophthalmologist who diagnosed bilateral macular edema. I now get eye injections for that every six weeks and the result is to get floaters. I have gotten used to them and only mind when they are like flies or some other bug trying to dive bomb me.

Nancy

Poppytree
November 27th, 2017, 04:42 AM
Had them for years in both eyes. Most days I would hardly know they are there. The Ophthalmologist keeps an eye on them (sorry about the pun)