PDA

View Full Version : Using thin fabric

lots2do
November 17th, 2017, 11:25 AM
Hi,
I bought some fabric recently for a Grandmother's Flower Garden project that was the perfect color. After I was washed it, I was disappointed to find that it was very thin, too thin to risk in this quilt that I'm putting so much time into.
I've thought of sewing gift bags with it. Any other suggestions? I'm glad that I only have a yard of it but miffed that I paid the going rate for inferior fabric.
I welcome your ideas,
lots2do

Granny Fran
November 17th, 2017, 11:31 AM
You could use it for table runners or little mug rugs. Maybe some other small projects or trade with someone?

grammaterry
November 17th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Christmas is coming and it might make a great lined wine bag or you could use a glue stick and cover a box with it for a gift.

KarenC
November 17th, 2017, 12:54 PM
What I'd you try using some lightweight iro on stabilizer? Would you then be able to use it for your intended purpose?

jjkaiser
November 17th, 2017, 01:15 PM
I would just save it, I always make a sample block if I am trying out a new pattern so I would use it for doing that.

GrammaBabs
November 17th, 2017, 01:24 PM
I was going to say the same thing.... :)there are some very lightweight ones out there!
What I'd you try using some lightweight iro on stabilizer? Would you then be able to use it for your intended purpose?

Vonnie
November 17th, 2017, 01:28 PM
I would just save it, I always make a sample block if I am trying out a new pattern so I would use it for doing that.

This is an excellent idea! Also, I use fabric like this to cut up in small pieces to use to check my tension on my longarm.

Iris Girl
November 17th, 2017, 04:27 PM
I was going to say the same thing.... :)there are some very lightweight ones out there!

My thoughts exactly!

lots2do
November 23rd, 2017, 03:08 AM
Thank you, everybody.

am2901
November 23rd, 2017, 04:02 AM
I've used thin fabric in quilts several times. One time I had a lot of the fabric, so I cut duplicate pieces and sewed two them together as if they were one piece. It was an apple core quilt but would probably work for any quilt pattern. Another time I used a neutral solid color behind each piece of the thin fabric. The solid color could be another thin fabric or it could be muslin.

lots2do
November 28th, 2017, 05:12 PM
Thank you, again, for your replies. I am going to save it for another purpose. This project has become a special one and I hope to be able to hand quilt it once the blocks are done.