PDA

View Full Version : Thursdays Trivia

Star lover
November 16th, 2017, 08:29 AM
The earliest known photograph of a U.S. president is an 1843 daguerreotype of John Quincy Adams, one of three taken by Philip Haas at his studio in Washington, D.C.
In his diary on March 8, 1843, Adams wrote: "The operation is performed in half a minute, but is yet altogether incomprehensible to me.
Mr. Haas says it is a chemical process from mercury, silver, gold and iodine."
The whereabouts of two of those photos are unknown.
The third was acquired recently by the National Portrait Gallery at the Smithsonian.

The oldest "selfie" was taken in 1839, by Robert Cornelius. The method used was daguerreotype.

The following photograph by Louis Daguerre, of a street in Paris, was captured in 1838. On a closer look, a man can be identified in the lower left corner of the photograph. The man seems to be getting his boots cleaned and the boot cleaner is also identifiable. Even though this goes unnoticed in a swift glance at this old and smudged photograph of a strangely deserted city, close observation reveals that this is probably the first photograph featuring a human.

Man have we got it easy today. We don't even think of taking dozens of pics at a time!

sew-what2015
November 16th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Thanks Anita. Look forward to the interesting trivia.

grammaterry
November 16th, 2017, 11:17 AM
Photos have become so easy with camera phones and such. But, the value seems to have been diminished. When we had film cameras, we were selective on our subjects and then we sent the film in and had things to hold in our hands and save. I have book after book of photo memories. Will Grandmas in the future get out their old hard drives and reminisce ? Will they be archived in the cloud somewhere for people to surf thru and say, "I think that might be one of my relatives?" Humm. I think seeing the photo of Adams is a miracle.

JCY
November 16th, 2017, 06:40 PM
Oh my goodness. I have so many pictures waiting to be put into albums. It's a job I keep ignoring. DH has days when he gets sentimental and gets out his albums that belonged to his parents--pictures of when he was a little boy, his home town, family, etc. He has some scrapbooks, too, that his mom put together for him. All these albums mean so much to him now. It sure beats scrolling through someone's digital files.