PDA

View Full Version : Janome New Home machine help identifying machine party

jjkaiser
November 12th, 2017, 01:19 AM
Janome New Home 5430. No manual but I did download one and looked and read it over. There is a white stick behind the presser foot that is about 3" long and very skinny--you pull a lever to drop it down even with face plate. It is not the automatic needle threader. It is not in the diagram or mentioned in the book. Does anybody know what this is? I know a photo would help but I am so cozy wrapped in a quilt before a blazing fire, with an adult beverage, and too lazy to get up, plug the machine in and take a picture.

surfergirl
November 12th, 2017, 02:22 AM
Janome New Home 5430. No manual but I did download one and looked and read it over. There is a white stick behind the presser foot that is about 3" long and very skinny--you pull a lever to drop it down even with face plate. It is not the automatic needle threader. It is not in the diagram or mentioned in the book. Does anybody know what this is? I know a photo would help but I am so cozy wrapped in a quilt before a blazing fire, with an adult beverage, and too lazy to get up, plug the machine in and take a picture.
Check your manual for making button holes, this is a measuring item for the length of the buttonhole.

redcaboose1717
November 12th, 2017, 04:23 AM
Here's a video about that little white lever......it's to lift up the foot :

At (around) 4:20 in the video tutorial it starts to explain what the white lever is for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7SxLOq6sd4

This video shows you how to wind a bobbin etc.....but it also mentions what that "white" stick (lever) is for !

Hope this helps !

BTW....did you purchase this model to take to classes ? Just curious as to why you purchased this one ?

Here's a drawing of this lever : ( from a manual.....I had trouble finding a 5430 Janome Manual !:

Presser Foot Lifter The presser foot lifter raises and lowers the presser foot. You can raise it higher than the normal up position to more easily place fabric under the foot. Remember to lower the presser foot onto the fabric before starting to sew. q Presser foot lifter w Normal up position

http://janome.com/siteassets/support/manuals/other-models/inst-book-525b-derby-line-enspfr.pdf

Scroll down to page 6 and you will see the drawing of this little lever.

jjkaiser
November 12th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Thank you Sugar for looking that up. I might be dumb but not that dumb that I couldn't figure out if the stick thing was a lever for lowering the pressure foot. It is not. Actually surfergirl hit it right on the head, it is used for making buttonholes. I confess when reading the manual I kind of skipped over that part in detail since I don't make clothes and haven't made a buttonhole in 20 years! Thank you both for taking the time to answer.
Sugar you asked why I bought this model. Actually my SIL had it in her basement, it was passed on to her from cleaning out my MIL's stuff, she was a quilter, SIL is not. Well last year my Brother machine died on me so I bought a used Janome, about 30 years old but works good. I was trying out this machine to see if it was better than the one I got last year. It has two things mine does not have, an auto needle threader, and a top loading bobbin with a clear window so you can see how much bobbin thread is left at all times. I think I like this machine better, it is newer than mine and seems like it will do everythingI need it for.

Conniesue
November 12th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Sugar,

Thank you so much for emailing all the great info. Connie from Joann’s in Jackson.

redcaboose1717
November 12th, 2017, 06:19 PM
Thank you Sugar for looking that up. I might be dumb but not that dumb that I couldn't figure out if the stick thing was a lever for lowering the pressure foot. It is not. Actually surfergirl hit it right on the head, it is used for making buttonholes. I confess when reading the manual I kind of skipped over that part in detail since I don't make clothes and haven't made a buttonhole in 20 years! Thank you both for taking the time to answer.
Sugar you asked why I bought this model. Actually my SIL had it in her basement, it was passed on to her from cleaning out my MIL's stuff, she was a quilter, SIL is not. Well last year my Brother machine died on me so I bought a used Janome, about 30 years old but works good. I was trying out this machine to see if it was better than the one I got last year. It has two things mine does not have, an auto needle threader, and a top loading bobbin with a clear window so you can see how much bobbin thread is left at all times. I think I like this machine better, it is newer than mine and seems like it will do everythingI need it for.

Ohhh.....sorry ! The reason I posted that was, I didn't know what the lever was for.......in no way do I want you to think I thought you were "dumb"...you aren't ! I might have been stupid for posting the comment I did...so please accept my apologies !

WOW....never made a buttonhole in 20 yrs ? You sound like a friend of mine who doesn't make any type of garments....just NCW's (Necessary Clutch Wallets)and quilts. Some people don't like making clothing at all....

I did kind of wonder about the machine when I was looking up things about it online. I didn't think it was "new"....but wasn't sure.

Again, if I hurt your feelings....I am so sorry.

jjkaiser
November 12th, 2017, 11:35 PM
Ooh my goodness Sugar it takes way, way more than what you said to hurt my feelings!! I am so laid back honestly nothing bothers me. Don't give it another thought. And Nope I don't make clothing, I think what burned me was making Halloween costumes for my kids. One daughter was especially picky and no matter how I tweaked things she was always dissatisfied. Making quilts is much more fun and I can do whatever I want.