PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot

TMP
November 11th, 2017, 05:23 PM
My daughter signed us up for the demo of the flag box for a veteran's flag at Home Depot. In the past I have gone round and round with Home Depot with installation problems . We were the only two people who showed up. I can not even tell you how nice the gentleman was that did the demonstration. This was just a demo and they were going to donate the box. He gave me the one he demonstrated for my husband's flag. It almost made me cry. My daughter said now we know how to make these we can make one for grand daddy's flag too. The man said hold on and he gave us the materials to make one for my father's flag.

She also takes the kids to the children's workshop and they have a ball making various small cars, bird houses ect. All this is free of charge for the children. If you have grandchildren or children I highly recommend taking them to these work shops.

Please remember our veterans today and thank them for helping to preserve our freedom.

Monique
November 11th, 2017, 07:30 PM
Well isn't that nice.

Cokie
November 11th, 2017, 09:08 PM
It's nice to know there are still good people in the world. Happy one blessed you today.

Debbie Watters
November 11th, 2017, 10:00 PM
Sometimes one person makes the all the difference in the world. Glad he was so helpful and friendly.

LLLinda
November 11th, 2017, 11:17 PM
Home Depot and Lowes both do demos in my area.

bakermom
November 11th, 2017, 11:20 PM
My son takes his kids to the workshops. They really enjoy them

Spring Bird
November 11th, 2017, 11:45 PM
I love hearing about small acts of kindness. Thank you for sharing

redcaboose1717
November 12th, 2017, 06:11 AM
My sister got me shopping at Home Depot. She did one of their workshops to learn how to lay ceramic tile on the floor of their half bath years ago when they were building their home. ( My BIL wouldn't apply for a home loan....years ago when they married he had a substantial savings account that helped them to get the house framed and sided....and dry walled. After that, my BIL would go to the bank and borrow funds for 90-120 days......build whatever they needed at the time. They have never had a house payment.
I am amazed at the things my sister has learned ( and taught me ) to do thru those work-shops at Home Depot! When Daddy was alive he taught all three of his daughters not to be too dependent on a man. He taught us a lot of things ! About the only thing I won't try is plumbing.....
How awesome that man was at Home Depot ! WOW....I purchased one of those boxes to put my DH Terry's flag in.....I took a shelf that Terry had built for our first born son's nursery and placed the flag box along with a photo of Terry in his Army uniform, & a photo of him in his fatigues as well on that shelf.

Maybe I should see if Home Depot will cure me of my fear of plumbing....???

Bubby
November 12th, 2017, 10:59 AM
That's really touching....

TMP
November 12th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Sugar, I attempted plumbing one time. Under the kitchen sink I had a slow leak. DH was in Puerto Rico working and only came home once a month. I took a big roll of that silver tape with the strings in it ( whatever its called) and taped up the pipe. Everything was fine and no leak. I was rather proud of myself. When DH came home he found it and started fussing. He started pulling it off and it was a mess . He ended up replacing all the pipes under the sink. I don't do plumbing either.

grammaterry
November 12th, 2017, 05:22 PM
It couldn't have been nicer to have had the Home Depot man give this to a man who needs a box for his own flag. Some employees would have figured they could just sell it to somebody and make a profit but your guy had a good heart and we know there are a lot of folks out there just like us that are generous and kind

redcaboose1717
November 12th, 2017, 07:21 PM
Sugar, I attempted plumbing one time. Under the kitchen sink I had a slow leak. DH was in Puerto Rico working and only came home once a month. I took a big roll of that silver tape with the strings in it ( whatever its called) and taped up the pipe. Everything was fine and no leak. I was rather proud of myself. When DH came home he found it and started fussing. He started pulling it off and it was a mess . He ended up replacing all the pipes under the sink. I don't do plumbing either.
LOL!
TMP:
WOW....while my DH John loves Duck tape ( the silver tape you spoke of....although it can be purchased in an array of colors nowadays ! ) I can only imagine what would come out of his mouth if I did something like that !!! LOL!
Years ago, after my 1st DH Terry passed away, I went into the master bath to wash my face to get ready for the day, and when I turned on the cold water....the faucet came off in my hands...WOW ! I remember sitting on the floor and bawling my eyes out. Luckily though, one of DH Terry's friends from the model railroad club he belonged to here in town, called me that day to find out how I was doing, and I blurted out what happened. Within a couple of hours, this kind gentleman arrived with a new faucet in hand and replaced the old one for me !
I was so grateful (and still am) to that model railroad club. Those guys took turns calling me every week for the first 1 yr after DH Terry died. Most of the time, it was 10-15 minutes of friendly chatting, or sometimes they would come out to mow the grass etc. What an awesome bunch of retired guys ! Of course, I remember when Terry would help out a newly widowed train club member's wife years ago, so when these guys stepped up and wanted to help, I was really amazed at the fact they continued to call me for so long after Terry's passing.
Right now, we have a plumbing issue in the house.....DH John is waiting for a "part" to come that he ordered at Menard's....(it must be on a SLOW...SLOW....SLOW boat from China as it's been over 3 months since this part was ordered....grrrr. I have decided that if the part doesn't show up within the next 5-10 days, I am going to hire someone to come out here and fix the problem.(the pipes underneath the sink in the kitchen leaks horribly.)
While I am trying to make light of this, I am not amused......John wants the sink /plumbing completely dry....which means I haven't used the kitchen sink in months!!! The only good thing about it is all the cooking I haven't done in recent wks....I have been ordering take-outs or going out to eat ! ;)

lots2do
November 28th, 2017, 06:23 PM
Your experience really warms my heart. I've often noticed those workshops but have never really considered taking one. My uncle passed away in February. He was a Marine who received a Silver Star from a rescue mission in Vietnam. I should look into making a box for his flag.
Thank you for sharing this with us.