PDA

View Full Version : It's Thursday time!

Monique
November 9th, 2017, 09:55 AM

It is a good thing I didn't have coffee in my mouth this morning. hahaha

Well I didn't do much yesterday. I did manage to get the binding attached to the big flower garden quilt and that's about it.

The phone rang early this morning, well early for us as we were both still sleeping at 7am. Phil is coming home this weekend and possibly bringing Maizyn. I hope so. We will be attending Remembrance Day services here in Ladysmith this year. Phil will be laying 2 wreaths and I was asked to read 'In Flanders Field'. I have to make 4 loaves of sandwiches in total, 2 for here and 2 for Shawville plus I have to work tomorrow. Busy busy.

I brought my two large pumpkins in and will try and get those cooked today. We are expecting a little snow tonight, not much but I am sure enough that will cause many accidents because people haven't got their winter tires on yet. We do thankfully.

Anywho, that's it for me for today. Have a marvelous day.

RiverMomm
November 9th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Snow . . . sigh. But, like you, I also have my snow tires on and ready. Not sure why, but I did it last week. I thought about how early it was but had to go to the garage for something and figured I would just get it over with. I'm so glad I did because it is pretty dangerous around here for the first couple snow falls until people get in the winter driving mode.

I haven't sewn much lately because I'm knitting afghans for my oldest son and each of the little ones. What started as one turned into 5! Thank goodness the grandson's are small and only want little "knitted blankets". I'm soooooo tired of yarn at the moment and keep looking longingly at my sewing machine and fabrics. Next week . . . I WILL sew next week! LOL

Carol336
November 9th, 2017, 10:13 AM
OMG Monique - you've done it again - coffee spewed all over my screen. Don't know what a Mimsy is - but I have a pretty good idea - LOL.

Attending my 2nt quilt guild meeting today. It's held at my church and I know a lot of the ladies. The first one I went to several months ago was held at night and I don't like driving after dark - plus I only knew 1 lady and really didn't feel all that welcome. But I will admit it could have been me and not them. I hope I'm gonna like this one, because I really would like some sewing buddies. I have one girlfriend that sews but she lives on the eastern shore and that means a trip across the chesapeake bay bridge....not something I relish. But we do talk on the phone and share ideas alot.

Made a couple of microwave bowl cozies yesterday. I made them with 10x10 squares, so they hold a small bowl - like maybe a soup bowl or freezer container. Have any of you made these and if so what size do you make? Thinking this might be my family christmas gift this year for the ladies.

Well - gotta pack a lunch for the meeting - Have a wonderful day everyone
C

Monique
November 9th, 2017, 10:39 AM
OMG Monique - you've done it again - coffee spewed all over my screen. Don't know what a Mimsy is - but I have a pretty good idea - LOL.

Attending my 2nt quilt guild meeting today. It's held at my church and I know a lot of the ladies. The first one I went to several months ago was held at night and I don't like driving after dark - plus I only knew 1 lady and really didn't feel all that welcome. But I will admit it could have been me and not them. I hope I'm gonna like this one, because I really would like some sewing buddies. I have one girlfriend that sews but she lives on the eastern shore and that means a trip across the chesapeake bay bridge....not something I relish. But we do talk on the phone and share ideas alot.

Made a couple of microwave bowl cozies yesterday. I made them with 10x10 squares, so they hold a small bowl - like maybe a soup bowl or freezer container. Have any of you made these and if so what size do you make? Thinking this might be my family christmas gift this year for the ladies.

Well - gotta pack a lunch for the meeting - Have a wonderful day everyone
C

Carol, that bridge is sew cool. From bridge to tunnel, back to bridge, then tunnel. We were on that bridge many years ago. I hope you enjoy your new guild. I just joined one as well.

SO now I will have to put a disclaimer in the title "Empty mouth of coffee first".

grammaterry
November 9th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Wasn't it great when we had mimsys? I remember when tv had twin beds for "married" people and film makers weren't allowed to show the underarm. I remember when there were no kotex ads or underwear ads but we had liquor ads and smoking ads. Words that started with "f" weren't allowed and kids could watch whatever was on the tv without supervision. Programming had a moral tone and a morality ending. Oh my goodness, just thinking about how innocent we all were makes my mimsy tingle!

Star lover
November 9th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Good morning everyone. Well, I had a feeling, but I looked mimsy up anyway.......it has lots of meanings , but only one works here.....oh my Monique, where do ya get this stuff? Never heard the term before.......and know I know!

Rivermom, at least the yarn is keeping you warm! Hopefully you'll get to sewing soon!

Carol, I hope you have a good time. I'm not good at crowds with people I don't know, but hopefully you connect with someone. I think there's a guild around here, but never felt like going or joining.

S**w....yup, they mentioned that 4 letter word this am on the news. I'm not saying it, I'm not gonna even think about it today. Kinda like rain, rain go away.....well, I can hope, can't I? I like to look at it in pics, from inside through a window and it should only be enough to cover beautifully on Christmas Eve and promptly melt, never to be seen again until next Christmas! Sigh.....I've never gotten that "gift."

The south looks better and better every day. I wasn't always like this, I used to love s...w, but I got old and I guess s..w. cranky....

Only made it to my sewing room briefly yesterday and sewed 1 block. Cut the lawn (we have a pretty good size yard for a suburban plot), that was enough work. But I did do a bunch of other stuff too....all house, yard, errands.....nothing exciting.

Sending prayers for those who are going through, have gone through some trials, surgeries, etc. love and hugs to everyone...everyone loves better on lots of hugs!

I won't be here tomorrow, so everyone have a grand few days!

Bubby
November 9th, 2017, 11:14 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

Well, Monique, you really know how to wake us up! I'm moving slow today and hope to not have to go anywhere other than to the mailbox.

Dottie had a jittery night with lots of ups and downs. This means we both had interrupted sleep. Maybe I can catch a nap later.

Jeff is off tomorrow for Veterans Day. We will go to the apartments tomorrow so he can get out and hunt Saturday, which is opening day of firearm season for deer. We have a monster buck on our property that keeps showing up on our game cameras and that's the one Jeff wants.

I'm doing laundry and later I will make a pot of beef stew.

Today is Gina's surgery....let's remember to pray for her.

Hugs all around...

NanaMaggie
November 9th, 2017, 12:20 PM
Love it Monique!! a good laugh is a great way to start the day!

Carol - I understand completely!

May make a seat cushion for my sewing/computer chair today, this hard oak seat is a pain. Still haven't decided what i want to do with the repro layer cake and charm packs, there is no hurry as i won't be able to start on it until the first of the new year. I just want to do something now, patience is a virtue... obviously one i lack! :icon_rolleyes:

Hopefully my grand daughter will be here this weekend - she will spray baste the table runners so that i can machine quilt them. It will be a blast watching her work, she reminds me of a golfer shooting a million dollar putt - checking every angle etc - then the huge smile when she's finished.

Have a great day y'all,

redcaboose1717
November 9th, 2017, 12:34 PM
I am too tired to do much.....although I'd better get busy on some little soft quilts for the local humane society. I need to finish up he kids pillow cases I cut out so that they are done for Thanksgiving ( I make them a new Christmas case each year ) .....

Other than that....I am not going to do much. I think I am not even going to cook today either....will either go out to eat or have something delivered....haven't made up my mind yet.

We are supposed to get some snow as well.....hope it's not too much !

Carolnnc
November 9th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Having always lived in the "land of little snow" I politely request you send all snow to me:) We've gotten over a foot of snow only twice since 1948. We usually get six inches or less and are more likely to get sleet and ice several times through a winter. When bad weather is tossed out as a "possibility" I wear a pair of socks that have snow flakes on them and get really excited.

Barb, I think of Dottie each morning when I feed our cat. Our pets bring so much love and happiness to us.

Carol, I hope your group goes well. It's good you are giving it another try. I have tried a couple of guilds and two groups but I just didn't ever feel like I fit. I decided it was okay since I like my own company just fine.

Hoping to make new covers for the couch throw pillows today. I am trying to stay on painting the house but there's so much more than just painting the walls. Painting the woodwork and doors is such a pain. We also have those terrible popcorn ceilings and there are places about two inches from the walls where the tape is splitting so I have to fix those.
Well, onward and upward! Hope everyone has a great day!

KPH
November 9th, 2017, 02:30 PM
I started this morning and realized it was close to time to leave for my hair appt., so I decided just to check in when I got back. We just finished up lunch, a leftover have to eat before it grows hair kind of lunch. At least the refrigerator is cleaned out now. Pulled out a package of shrimp for dinner.

J will be coming for home school this afternoon. Then my biggest plan is to go clean up the Thanksgiving tree leftovers in my sewing room. I'm sure we'll be having some craft time with some of the stickers!

J was totally confused by the Thanksgiving tree. Esther loved it (even through the you're making me wake up from my night tears). Zeke just looked and smiled. None of them noticed the squirrel up in the tree. I may have to re work him, he's kind of tilting today. I think I'll stick one more floral pick in and wire it to one of the branches. DH found the squirrel and he thought of all the laughs we had that weekend up at Sherry's Three Spruce Lodge (http://www.threesprucelodge.com/ ). It's hard to believe, Sherry's gone and the Lodge has been sold.

Well, time to get ready for school.

Prayers for those in need. Thinking of Gina and keeping good thoughts for her close to heart today.

JCY
November 9th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Good Afternoon ~ I'm late today. DH had a dr. appt. this a.m. -- routine 4 mo. check & lab draws to check on his slight anemia, low sodium, etc. Now he's stretched out in the recliner for his post lunch relaxation to let his food settle. Anything extra like a dr. appt. wipes him out.

I plotted out on graph paper my blocks to use for the Christmas fabric. I want to fussy cut out some of the pics on the Anne of Green Gables fabric. In order to maximize use of the fabric, my squares will need to be 4.5", not 5", which are called for in the "Dandy Stars" tutorial. I had ~45" to cut fabric after DH went to bed last eve. & before Survivor came on TV at 7 p.m. I plan to sew together a sample block this afternoon. I had some FQs of other Christmas fabric that I'm using for the sample block before I actually cut into the AGG's fabrics.

Regarding Lux soap ~ I'm pretty sure my mom used that brand. I sure don't remember anything about freshening up your flaps! I think everyone needs to be aware of your a.m. posts, Monique, & not have any coffee or beverages anywhere in the vicinity of the computer! Thanks for brightening our mornings!

Due to the snow this week, our lawn service rescheduled our fall clean-up to next week. There still is snow in the shady areas & everything is wet. We need things to dry out a bit in order for them to be able to use the leaf blowers.

This a.m. I started to watch Angela Walters' video from the Houston show, but I had time for only 5 min. She is such a kick. That Houston show looks like a really big event. I think I'll finish watching that right now. Have a great day!