PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday's Trivia!

Star lover
November 7th, 2017, 08:33 AM
“In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.”

Those words were fashioned by Benjamin Franklin in a 1789 letter to Jean-Baptiste Le Roy, a French physicist. He was talking about the uncertainty faced by the United States, having just instituted its Constitution yet still in its nascent stages.

But what if, for one day, nothing — other than death and taxes, that is — happened? That is, what if there was a day where there was no news?

Preposterous, of course. But on April 18, 1930 — Good Friday — BBC Radio reported exactly that.

The evening prior, the British government wanted to deny some news which had made the rounds, but because the newspapers weren’t printing due to the holiday, they went to the radio. Within twenty-four hours, these untold issues were no longer news — and, apparently, BBC Radio determined that nothing else was, either. For their 6:30 broadcast that evening, they simply announced

“There is no news” — and filled the remainder of the time with piano music.

Wow, wouldn't it be great if this happened more often?.....

Thank you Terry for the inspiration to hunt this gem down!

grammaterry
November 7th, 2017, 09:10 AM
Hummm....87 years ...I guess it could happen again! But somedays when we have all the repeats and rehashes of what the media perceives of the news I would say there is no news to report.

Anitamae56
November 7th, 2017, 09:22 AM
I so agree, Terry. They tell same thing over and over till they come up with something new. So it is almost like no news. :)

Spring Bird
November 8th, 2017, 12:27 AM
My gosh they take turns interviewing each other. DH is certain that they get paid per word. No other qualifications needed, just talk over each other and find 10 ways to say the same thing.