• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spring Bird
    9 Patch Princess
    • Oct 2017

Medicine quilts

Does anyone have a "special" quilt that they cuddle when they are sick?

When I start to feel under the weather I pull out the simple nine patch quilt that my grandmother quickly stitched up to give to my mother. This was truly made with love, Dad is Grandmother's son. I recognize pieces of fabric that had been saved from clothing over the years. When Mom passed I brought the quilt to my home and cuddle in when I need comfort to fight off a cold or just a bad day.
  • Deegles
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2014

Re: Medicine quilts

I had a quilt that I was supposed to get in the divorce made by my grandmother. My ex husband took the quilt and I thought it was gone forever. One day it turns up on my doorstep in a garbage bag wet. I washed it. And it deteriorated and became too thread bare to use again. I tried to take it apart to make a smaller version but the threads could not hold a stitch and would tear because of the oxidation in the bag wet.
    Now, the good thing about your thread post, I had never really given this much thought about the quilts I make and gift. But I bet one day when I am gone, my family members will be comforted as I surround their shoulders on their ill days. A hug from beyond! And this year my son went to college and I gave him a very thread bare quilt as I am not wanting to let a good one go yet. He recently was sick. I will have to ask him if he cuddled in it because I could not be there. This makes me smile so that all of us quilters are loving without being there!!!!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• jjkaiser
      Missouri Star
      • Oct 2013

Yes I do too. And of all the fancy quilts in my house my go to when I am feeling bad is just a plain old fashioned patchwork quilt, just squares all sewed together, not even a 9-patch or a special design.
      Jocelyn
      South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• KPH
        Missouri Star
        • Feb 2015

My quilt of many colors is my favorite to snuggle up with in front of the TV when I'm feeling bad.
        Katrina
        From NC, retired in FL
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
          Missouri Star
          • Oct 2013

My go to quilt is the Northcott flannel wolf quilt I did because it reminds me of Carlie..and it's so snuggly and warm.
          wolf1.jpg

Sometimes if I'm downstairs waiting for something to cook I'll toss the Lattice Sunflower quilt which was the first I had ever made over my legs while reading a book.
          https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
          Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• chelea
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2012

I made a minky quilt for my granddaughter when she was a baby and she calls it her magic quilt because she says it makes her feel better when she's sick. She's 6 years old.
            Michele
            ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
            To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• NanaMaggie
              Quilting Guru
              • Sep 2015

Oh I do like the "medicine quilt" name! May i steal it?? The grandkids like to curl up with a scrappy pinwheel when they don't feel good. It was made from swap blocks many years ago - it is nearly threadbare now. My favorite is one my quilting buddies made for me when my Mom passed away. It is always a huge hug when i need one.
              Maggie

As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands: one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.

Comment

• Georgie Girl
                The Guild President
                • Apr 2017

Bought Campbell soup material for my daughter's first apartment windows. She moved before I got them made so I made a quilt for when her family isn't feeling well. It turned out really cute.

Comment

• Bubby
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jun 2011

I have two old family quilts that I snuggle in when I feel sick. When I was in the hospital a couple years ago I took one with me.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
                  X