PDA

View Full Version : I am weird!

sumarben
November 4th, 2017, 12:54 PM
My daughter got me hooked on quilting and like her I'm not much for following a pattern. Actually I never thought I'd be like that - she was always the one who thought outside the box and experimented with every sewing project she did. When I sewed clothes, I would buy the pattern and the exact same material that was on the display if there was one. If no display, I'd buy material the closest to the pattern picture. Then I started quilting and found that following a pattern was sort of boring for me - and also I became quite frustrated because my projects never were the same size, things didn't match up as they were supposed to, etc - in other words I stunk! So now I make it up as I go along, sometimes starting with a picture of a quilt, sometimes just going around a theme. For me, it's more fun and interesting and I find myself figuring out problems whether than letting them get the best of me. In fact, when I survey my UFO's they are all that are (trying to) follow a pattern! My quilts are anything but perfect (not even close) but they are fun for me to do, and because most of them are for my grandsons, they are truly from me and my weird mind!

Anyone else like this?

PrettyCurious
November 4th, 2017, 01:08 PM
Yep. Patterns are mere suggestions.
If you don't follow a pattern then there's nothing to tell you you're doin it wrong.

jjkaiser
November 4th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Ahhh you are one of us!!! You have the perfect personality to put together a scrappy quilt. No pattern needed and just randomly pick fabrics, it is so much fun I predict you will be hooked after making just one!!! I made one a few years ago after making a star quilt, I was so bored making the same block with the same colors like 30 times! I loved the freedom of the scrappy quilt, then I tried big stitch quilting it and found another new favorite thing!!

Spring Bird
November 4th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Yeah it is ok to break the rules!
I speak from the prospective of a recovering perfectionist. Years I tried to follow the pattern step by step. OK I learned the skill or technique. Then I met my Glorious girl she has encouraged me to try colours and believes I am capable of sew much. Well thanks to her and my short time on this forum, I have stepped out of the box and tried doing things without rules. I am happy to say that in the last week I have FMQ a lap quilt for my father that combines ugly brown and bright batiks using red thread. I love it. wild rose is now my fave colour.

lauthala
November 4th, 2017, 07:41 PM
I need a pattern especially for the amount of fabric I needed, I allways, without fail run out of fabric,then run around trying to get s ome more the same,hubby goes mad,why don't you follow a pattern so you don't run out, mmmmmmm. So now follow a pattern.

Tracie T
November 4th, 2017, 09:19 PM
I try to not always go by a pattern but I don't think I'm creative enough but working on it. Anyways, I've taken an interest in EPP so I'm trying to make a bunch of hexies with my scrap fabric. I don't know what I'll make with them but I'm finding just sitting and basting them relaxing.

Rock
November 6th, 2017, 08:41 PM
Yes. Wierd is good. Very good. Essential for sanity. Like coffee.

DramaMama
November 7th, 2017, 02:33 AM
I don't use written patterns. Partly because I don't want a quilt that looks like those of a million others and party because there are always updates/corrections that I may not know about.

I do follow video tutorials, but will use different fabrics or change it up somehow.

You're not weird!

Granny Judy
November 7th, 2017, 04:25 AM
I don't follow patterns.. I do have a traditional block book that I love to follow. I have yet to completely follow them, too. It just gets me distracted to make the same block over and over again...

I set out on my quilting journey to make quilts like my Gram had.. (and wouldn't teach me). so far I've accomplished them all except the drunkards path... and I have fabric cut out for one. I didn't make my "duplicate" quilts as big as hers, but I was able to learn all those little tricks she didn't teach any of us Grands. At the end, She got too ill to do any quilting and her possessions were sold to pay for her final medical expenses. So no one got any of her quilts--except me...I was gifted one.

Star lover
November 7th, 2017, 07:51 AM
You're not weird....and if you are....then we all are too. So happy you're in the club!
I started out following a pattern to a tee. But something happened in there and now a pattern is a spring board to.....something better! Nothing wrong with following a pattern, if that makes ya happy, but it's not for everyone. Enjoy the process.....it only gets better!