PDA

View Full Version : Winter is coming...

SallyO'Sews
November 1st, 2017, 03:42 PM
But it isn't here, yet. It is currently a chilly 44* Fahrenheit (that's around 6.6* Celsius for the rest of the world). More from DD, who was handling recess duty today:

Third grade drama king:

"This is NOT recess! This is COLDcess!!!"
"It's 32 degrees!
It's the freezing point of water!
MY BODY is made up of water!!
And when the water in my body freezes, my heart will turn to ICE!

... I'M GONNA DIE!!!!!"

Star lover
November 1st, 2017, 03:56 PM
Oh my...let the drama begin....and the cold! Yikes!

Cokie
November 1st, 2017, 08:49 PM
I'm not reading this one to my husband because he'd totally be saying that to me!! Thanks for sharing these - I love reading the kids' perspectives on things.

redcaboose1717
November 1st, 2017, 09:04 PM
Made me laugh.....poor third grader ! I remember trying to stay in for recess too.....( my third grade teacher had the ENTIRE set of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books....That she used as an incentive. If you got all your homework done in your daily free time ( 35-40 minutes) you could then take one of the "books" home for the night....!! That's how I got my parents to purchase my first complete set of hardcover LIW books for Christmas that year....( and believe it or not, I read Laura's books so much that I have worn out 2 hardcover sets (complete sets) and one paper back set. ) Anyway, if you could get Mrs. Powers to let you stay in for recess....you could read LIW's books or play with the "rain day" games she had !
I am in the process of trying to find Laura's books in used book stores etc.....So far I have found Little House In The Big Woods" "Little House On The Prairie" & By" The Shores Of Silver Lake" I am really looking for "Farmer Boy"....haven't found that volume as of yet !

KPH
November 1st, 2017, 10:19 PM
Smart kid!

I had boxes of rainy day stuff to pull out for the kids. I was just thinking about some of those activities yesterday. I miss my pattern blocks!

Spring Bird
November 1st, 2017, 10:54 PM
Oh boy that reminds me of grade school. Girls must wear skirts. No pants allowed. Since I was a farm kid the bus stop was half mile from home. Mom would drop us off and then head to work herself. I remember trying to sit on my heels and spread the pleated wool skirt to cover everything. The only item we had for a wind break was a sign post. After school we had to walk home. I know I came near frost bite at least once.

Cokie
November 2nd, 2017, 03:01 PM
Oh boy that reminds me of grade school. Girls must wear skirts. No pants allowed. Since I was a farm kid the bus stop was half mile from home. Mom would drop us off and then head to work herself. I remember trying to sit on my heels and spread the pleated wool skirt to cover everything. The only item we had for a wind break was a sign post. After school we had to walk home. I know I came near frost bite at least once.

We would wear pants under our skirts until we got to school, then take them off. We had to walk to school and it was only a few blocks, but when it was cold, I was happy to have those pants on! And we'd slip our feet into bread sacks so we could get our boots on/off more easily! Ahhhh, the "good old days!" LOL

jjkaiser
November 2nd, 2017, 07:11 PM
Oh I had forgotten how we used to put plastic bags over our socks to help get the boots on and off! I remember what a pain it was carrying your shoes to school and your lunch and your books and homework. No back packs in the olden days when I went to school! And the humiliation if you forgot your shoes and had to wear your clunky looking boots with your dress all day! And I had to walk a mile to school lugging all that stuff with me. Parents didn't drive you everywhere like they died now, at least mine didn't. And my Mom was a stay at home Mom--or as we used to say, "oh my Mom doesn't work!!"