PDA

View Full Version : Not a good retirement so far!

MaryUK
November 1st, 2017, 03:02 PM
I retired on 29 September and spent the first two weeks feeling like a rudderless ship. DH took me on holiday to Ibiza buy the night before we flew I came down with a nasty cold and cough which pretty much spoilt the holiday.
Anyway got back on the Sunday after a week away to find my lovely FIL was very ill so we spent last week running back and forth to hospital. He was discharged on Saturday for end of life care to his care home. He rallied on Saturday and Sunday but sadly passed away on Monday evening. It was a blessing and something we had expected for a long time but you can't really prepare for this.
The family is devastated and DH feeling especially fragile as he is the last in his family!!
Your thoughts and prayers would be appreciated.

Lori63
November 1st, 2017, 03:24 PM
Oh Mary, I'm so sorry for your loss. It does sound like you've had a rough start to retirement. Hopefully things will get better with each new day.

JCY
November 1st, 2017, 03:38 PM
My sympathies. Hope things get better soon. Thoughts & prayers.

Star lover
November 1st, 2017, 03:55 PM
Adding my prayers too. So sorry for everything that's going on and the loss to your family.

Simply Quilting
November 1st, 2017, 06:43 PM
So sorry for the loss of your f-i-l.

grammaterry
November 1st, 2017, 07:28 PM
sending my sympathy. I retired on Oct. 27 and I am wondering aimlessly. I don't know if I could have coped with what you are going thru. My prayers are with you

KPH
November 1st, 2017, 08:40 PM
So sorry for your loss. Lifting prayers for you and yours. They say things come in threes, I hope you're around the bend and can begin to enjoy your retirement.

redcaboose1717
November 1st, 2017, 09:11 PM
Absolutely.....will put you on my prayer list and add you to our church's weekly prayer list as well

Mimi_Howard
November 1st, 2017, 09:18 PM
I am so sorry for your family's loss and definitely have you in my prayers.

Spring Bird
November 1st, 2017, 09:41 PM
Mary, I am so sorry to hear you story. I am glad you had the freedom to care for your FIL and be there for your DH when he needs you.
My prayers are on the way to you. You will be able to get through this season of loss and then find joy in your days.

Robin

SallyO'Sews
November 1st, 2017, 10:23 PM
Praying for you and yours, Mary. And wishing you a wonderful retirement from here on out. Quilty hugs to you.

Ginny B
November 2nd, 2017, 12:15 AM
Oh Mary, so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband.

Monique
November 2nd, 2017, 09:14 AM
So terribly sorry for your loss. No matter how prepared you think you are, it is never easy. Just remember God doesn't give us any more than we can handle, I believe is the saying.

Hang in there.

MRoy
November 2nd, 2017, 10:12 AM
So sorry for your loss.

MaryUK
November 2nd, 2017, 09:11 PM
Thank you so much for all your kind thoughts and prayers. We went to register the death today at City Hall and the registrar was unhappy with the cause of death as the doctor's notes were incomplete so she rang the doctor to get her to speak to the Coroners Office. Upshot is the coroner is unhappy and has ordered a postmortem!
This could delay the funeral (after all the plans have been made) but more importantly it throws into question whether the medics missed something or didn't act in my FIL's best interests!

As I'm sure you can appreciate we are devastated!! The coroner has asked for FIL to be sent to his office and they will perform some tests on Monday. If they are inconclusive a full postmortem and inquest will take place.

What can I say?? We are praying that nothing untoward happened to him and that it was just the doctor not putting enough information on the medical certificate. God is good and He will sustain me.

Bubby
November 3rd, 2017, 03:59 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully things will begin looking up for you so you can enjoy your retirement. (((HUGS)))