PDA

View Full Version : Wacky Wednesday Trivia

Star lover
November 1st, 2017, 07:25 AM
And yes, it's weird.....and WARNING!!!....not for the faint of heart......if you have a weak stomach, close thread!

THE CHICKEN WHO LIVED WITHOUT HIS HEAD FOR 18 MONTHS

It turns out itís not just politicians that can live without brains, a chicken named Miracle Mike lived without his entire head for 18 months!

Mike the Headless Chicken was beheaded for the sake of providing a chicken dinner for the mother-in-law of a Fruita, CO farmer, on April 1945. Fortunately for Mike (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) Lloyd Olsenís axe barely missed the jugular vein, and left an ear and the majority of the birdís brain stem unharmed.

Mike shook off the blow and went about being a chicken, ďpeckingĒ with his neck in the absence of his head and continuing to preen himself. Olsen sat down to wait for the bird to die, but when he made no signs of doing so, Olsen decided to have something different for dinner that night and took to caring for the bird. He fed him things like milk and water through his open esophagus using an eyedropper. Small bits of gravel were also dropped down his throat to help his gizzard grind food.

Farmer Olsen took Mike to the University of Utah in Salt Lake City to be studied and the word got out about the headless bird. He was photographed for all of the big magazines and papers of the day, including Time and Life, and started a career as a sideshow attraction.

At the pinnacle of his show business career, Mike was making his owners $4,500 per month. Admission to see the bird cost 25 cents, which added up to a lot of curious people.

Like many other celebrities, Mike choked to death in a motel room. One problem Mike often experienced was that he would choke on his own mucus. The Olsens kept syringes on hand for when this happened, to suck the mucus out. But, one night Mike was roosting with the Olsens in a Phoenix motel room between sideshow exhibits. The Olsenís heard him choking in the middle of the night but couldnít find a syringe to save him!

A subsequent autopsy revealed that the axe had not touched the birdís carotid artery and Mikeís blood had quickly clotted, saving him from bleeding to death. Because most basic body functions like breathing and heart-rate, as well as most of a chickenís reflex actions, are controlled by the brain stem, Mike remained able to function and otherwise healthy for 18 months after losing his head.

Anitamae56
November 1st, 2017, 09:18 AM
Even though you said not for the faint hearted , I had to read it! What bothered me that the farmer could syringe it and keep it a live. It is very interesting but, bothersome too., I don't think I will be chopping any chickens head off! :) thanks for a very interesting trivia .

Sandy Navas
November 1st, 2017, 09:19 AM
Oh, Anita - I don't know whether to laugh or cry. You had to dig deep to find that one. Very interesting. That wouldn't have happened if my Grandma Nola had been around though.