PDA

View Full Version : Public Service Announcement!

Astatoo
October 31st, 2017, 10:23 AM
For those of you who are like me and use their rotary blades until they begin to skip chunks of threads....CHANGE them. I spent most of the day yesterday cutting, trimming and then squaring up blocks. My hand was getting a bit sore so when DH woke up at 4:00-he is working the night shift-I had him change my blade and boy-o-boy was that sweet. Back at it this morning and it has been wonderful cutting.

Suzette
October 31st, 2017, 10:38 AM
They are so darned expensive, I also wait too long to change my blades! :icon_rolleyes: But I did discover something by accident the other day that added to the life of my blade... I was making some hot pads and using my rotary cutter to cut up some pieces of Insul-Bright and when I went back to cutting my fabric, it was cutting much better and easier, like the blade had been sharpened - which I guess it had been, by the metalic inner layer of the Insul-Bright! Now I keep a small piece of this near my cutting table and cut through it several times when my blade starts to dull and it extends the life of the blade many times over. :D

Monique
October 31st, 2017, 11:25 AM
They are so darned expensive, I also wait too long to change my blades! :icon_rolleyes: But I did discover something by accident the other day that added to the life of my blade... I was making some hot pads and using my rotary cutter to cut up some pieces of Insul-Bright and when I went back to cutting my fabric, it was cutting much better and easier, like the blade had been sharpened - which I guess it had been, by the metalic inner layer of the Insul-Bright! Now I keep a small piece of this near my cutting table and cut through it several times when my blade starts to dull and it extends the life of the blade many times over. :D

That is good to know.

jjkaiser
October 31st, 2017, 11:32 AM
I love it when someone comes up with an idea like this. Thanks for sharing!

DeniseSm
October 31st, 2017, 11:42 AM
Every single time I change my rotary blade I tell me myself, stop being so cheap. Change the blade more often. You are worth it.

I hope eventually it will sink in if I keep repeating it often enough.

Anitamae56
October 31st, 2017, 12:00 PM

Wow! Glad to know this, thank you!

mardou
October 31st, 2017, 12:25 PM
I've bought a couple of the cutting edge rulers that sharpen your blades as you use the rotary cutter. I've found them to be effective in sharpening the blade after repeated use of the ruler. :)

Kgrammiecaz
October 31st, 2017, 12:30 PM
I figure with all the other money I spend on my quilting, having plenty of blades available is worth the cost. Same with my sewing machine needles. Better to be nice and sharp. Although, I have to admit, I do take a long time to change my blades sometimes. But it is more of being lazy than using a new blade. LOL.

pcbatiks
October 31st, 2017, 01:15 PM
I’ve learned the hard way that a dull blade can mess up your cutting mat. I too hate to change blades but what a difference it makes when you do!

redcaboose1717
October 31st, 2017, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.....I use the cheap cutter blades from Harbor Freight....I know some of you have mentioned that you have had issues with using these blades, but I don't seem to have trouble with them. I have a self-healing mat, which I wash with Dawn Dish soap ( as recommended ) quite often and that has really saved my mat(s) a great deal....so I think by changing the blades often and washing my mats ( I have 1 Olfa & 1 Fiskars large mats and an Olfa 12"x12" rotating mat. )

But thanks for the tip about the insul-brite.....I think I am going to try this as well.....( it can't hurt ) ....maybe if this really works for me I might go back to using the more expensive blades ( although the Harbor Freight blades really work fine for me ) ....who knows?

KarenC
October 31st, 2017, 03:52 PM
You are so right. I could not find mine after moving, finally gave in and bought more. Wow, what a difference! So much nicer on my wrist and the fabric.

Iris Girl
October 31st, 2017, 05:36 PM
I too am bad about changing my blades and my needles. Tomorrow I start quilting my sons bear quilt and I will change both!

grammaterry
October 31st, 2017, 08:47 PM
Ive been fighting with mine for a while going over the threads time and time again. Finally changed it the other day and cuts like butter. Why do I wait?

Debbie Watters
October 31st, 2017, 09:40 PM
In the same boat as most others - wait entirely too long to change the blade but when I do - I ask myself: Why didn't you do this sooner?????

Carolyn
November 1st, 2017, 10:07 AM
I always have a drawer of spare needles and blades. I purchase each whenever they are on sale whether my stock is low or not, keeps the prices reasonable. One year I put needles on my Xmas list and ended up with a few hundred needles! I should not have given the same list to all I guess. I do change each with each new project. I have also noticed that newer blades do not seem to last as long as they used to. Anyone else notice this? They do make great stocking stuffers, so start dropping hints(or just out right tell them)