PDA

View Full Version : Well this is a bummer :-(

Carlie Wolf
October 30th, 2017, 02:34 PM
I have to say I really did enjoy sewing on my little Brother SE400. The good news is I can still embroider on it; the bad news is I can't do my other stitches on it. The feed dog assembly will need replacing, not just the feed dogs. So that's $90 to take it for service then the parts he needs if he can even fix it. So we're talking about at least $150 for a machine I spent $300 on. Couldn't happen at a worse time :-(

So now I have to decide what I'm going to do about this mess. I was going to do some last minute things for the craft fair Dec 4 although I have sufficient to take with me. I did have a few things half done and I suppose I can do that on my old, old Brother. It's just barely working and to be honest I'm now so spoiled with the auto start and stop, don't have to use a foot pedal, the needle up/down and auto cutter. The SE400 also ran much smoother and the bobbin assembly was much easier and convenient. Oh yeah, and I did use that one curvey stitch when quilting my bindings :-( I really get SO frustrated sewing on it!

I was thinking I might be ok with a BrotherCS6000i ;it seems to have most of the other features I've grown so use to other then the embroidery that I won't need since I still have that part. The price seems to be around $150 . Has anyone used these or is there another brand around the same price or cheaper that could be used?

Star lover
October 30th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Ouch! Sorry no help here...just commiserating with you. Hope you're able to find a great solution....soon!

The_Last_Unicorn
October 30th, 2017, 03:58 PM
I have a Brother cs6000i as my basic/backup/free-arm machine...it's okay. It has the needle down function, which a lot of cheaper machines don't. My biggest complaint is that whenever you turn on the machine, it starts with the needle in the left position. There may be a way to reprogram it, but I don't use it often enough to bother. It's a very light machine, which is nice when you've got a small or non-dedicated sewing space, but it can also vibrate a bit at top speed. Some of the fancier decorative stitches can be very slow to create.

Carlie Wolf
October 30th, 2017, 04:09 PM
I was also looking at the Brother Xl 3750 but I couldn't tell if it had the start/stop button. I really did like that feature and didn't realize how much I'd miss it. When I first saw that I didn't think I'd like using it.

I did hear that some machines always start at the left position....now that's something to remember because I use my 1/4" guide foot a lot and I think that has to start at the center or you start breaking needles when you first start to sew. I did notice that the 6000i machine appears to come with a walking foot so I guess that is pretty handy to have.

CraftyJnet
October 30th, 2017, 05:00 PM
The Brother cs6000i was my first sewing machine. It did everything I asked of it. It does comes with a walking foot (I never used mine). The cons were that it would sometimes have trouble going backwards over multiple fabrics, the throat wasn't large and it was a bit noisy. You can't beat the price and I often recommend it for a beginning sewer. Amazon runs sales on it and it gets down to about 139 or so.

redcaboose1717
October 30th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Carlie.....Last year I found this same machine on sale for $259.00 ........on Jo-Ann Fabrics online site.....I don't know if you have to purchase it online or not......but I think it was around Christmas time, so maybe if you could wait a few weeks you might find it on sale for a really great price !

Carlie Wolf
October 30th, 2017, 06:09 PM
Sugar I'm seeing it in our Walmart for $154 with no shipping incl and they seem to have it here in town. That's the cheapest I've see it yet. So I'm hoping I can figure out a way to get it Friday. I can't believe that this has me so upset that I've been throwing up! I've actually started cleaning and winterizing my upstairs office just to try to calm down! Boy, talk about addictions.

pewa88
October 30th, 2017, 10:46 PM
I have a Brother CS6000i machine to take to quilt group meetings. It is an ok take to class machine but I don't think I would want to use it for everyday sewing. It is very lightweight and vibrates a bit. It does have a beautiful straight stitch.

LindaKay75
October 30th, 2017, 11:08 PM
I'm so sorry for your frustrations. It couldn't happen at a worst time when you're trying to finish up those holiday projects.
I've heard that the Brother XR3240 is a very good machine. I know of a couple sewers that bought one at Costco online. I think for $124 but when I checked it was $144. I didn't check out all the features. Maybe you need to take a look at it. Good luck.

Vonnie
October 31st, 2017, 08:03 AM
Have you talked to anyone who repairs machines and see if they have one for sale? Or a local dealer who has used machines for sale.

Craigslist - although you have to be careful on there.

Carlie Wolf
October 31st, 2017, 09:53 AM
I didn't think of that Vonnie. That's a good idea. The tech I used to look at my Blockrockit (really nice honest guy), his wife owns a sewing shop about a half hour away. He might have some refurbished machines. I'm not hopeful for him as a resource though because I think she only sells Bernina's. I understand they are a really nice brand but even the refurbished ones might not be in my price range these days. I think I'm going to have to make a decision by Friday but good idea to give him a call before then.

So far it seems to be between the cs6000i and the XR3240. I just wish this were happening mid December instead of now. I think I'll be having a little more flexibility dollar wise then. No....actually I wish this weren't happening at all! LOL

Wyora
October 31st, 2017, 05:54 PM
Carlie - I have the Brother CS6000i. Its a good machine but there are a few things that bother me. The needle automatically defaults to the left. If I have my 1/4" foot on, and forget to move the needle, I end up with a broken needle as it slams down onto the metal foot. Another problem with needle position is I can only have the needle to the left, or in the middle, there is no option to have it on the right. The is a feature my mother's old Pfaff has that I love (but the Pfaff doesn't have needle down, which my Budget Brother does).

Someone mentioned the vibration at high speed. Yes, it does vibrate some and I find I have to re-adjust the machine position every so often.

My biggest issue is the minuscule throat space - not just width between the needle that the main body, but also height. I'm extremely limited on what quilting I can do, or even finally piecing assembly of a large quilt, because of that small space.

Editing to add one other thing. I just finished a 36" x 36" quilt, quilted on both my Brother and mom's Pfaff with straight line quilting. With my Brother I used both the walking foot and the regular foot. The walking foot gave me uneven stitches, and honestly, I thought it was a piece of junk. I took it off and used the regular foot. The machine had no issues at all going through all of the layers, my stitches were more even, BUT, I could really see the fabric being pulled/warped. Due to the previously mentioned tiny throat space, alternating directions every line wasn't an option. I ended up finishing the quilting on mom's Pfaff with the IDT (and larger throat space). The project ended up being a learning project (it was also my first attempt at curved piecing), with less than perfect results, but still turned out nice.

sherriequilts
November 1st, 2017, 02:04 AM
What about a Brother project runway PC 420? Not sure what your funds are but this is $390.00 on Amazon and has all the features you like. Reviews are positive for this model and itís been out awhile. Do you know anyone in school? They can get Prime for 6 months free so that would get you free shipping.

Midge
November 1st, 2017, 03:06 PM
Thought I posted something, but it seems to have disappeared. So here goes again. I was on sewingmachinesplus.com today for another search, but I also looked for the Brother machines you are interested in. They showed the 6000 model for $189. They have free shipping and no sales tax, too because they are in California. If you think about it I would encourage you to call them and talk to a sales associate. They are helpful and maybe you can work with them on price. I bought my Juki HZL DX5 from them and I was very happy with the customer service and quick delivery.

Carlie Wolf
November 1st, 2017, 03:26 PM
Midge I think I've found the 6000i for $154 and quite possibly at a place I've purchased from before for even cheaper that is refurbished, new but box had a nick in it. (it's from a place I've purchased at before and had been happy) Now wouldn't that be nice :-)

Midge
November 1st, 2017, 04:07 PM
Midge I think I've found the 6000i for $154 and quite possibly at a place I've purchased from before for even cheaper that is refurbished, new but box had a nick in it. (it's from a place I've purchased at before and had been happy) Now wouldn't that be nice :-)

Wow, that's a bargain price. I hope it works out for you. I know you need a machine right away. It's too bad you can't wait for the black Friday and Christmas sales, but I sure understand why you need it now. Too bad we don't live closer. You could borrow my HV Emma, which is mostly sitting in the closet unless I go to a class or retreat. Love that machine, too.