PDA

View Full Version : Christmas - what are you making?

Cokie
October 29th, 2017, 11:47 PM
I've usually got a good start on Christmas gifts by this time of year, but I'm absolutely not in any kind of Christmas mood at all. Had hoped to go out of town to visit my family this year, but now with DH's health problems that will not be a possibility. For the first time ever, I'm actually thinking of giving gift cards to everyone and calling it good. Anyone have any good ideas for quick and easy gifts? What are you making this year?

LauraP
October 30th, 2017, 12:13 AM
Everyone I know loves the microwave bowls and potato bags. Also towels with quilted embellishments go over good. I am having the same problem, must be the year.

Mimi_Howard
October 30th, 2017, 12:21 AM
Gift cards and $$ are on my giving list too. They need and want them (adults). I will make some kind of fabric holder to put them in. For grandkids, not much left I can sew for them that they would want or need. Might do small oven mitts to fit one granddaughter that is learning to bake. I did make 26 alphabet bean bags and a few character theme pillowcases. Probably make a message bag or some kind of bag to hold books/reader that I will get for the book lover. I am hoping others here will have some ideas that will inspire me! This year I am having a hard time getting my happy on for sewing gifts.

LindaKay75
October 30th, 2017, 12:47 AM
I'm using up last years Christmas fabric making stockings, table runners and some pillowcases for the grandchildren. Been busy all weekend. Tomorrow will make several potholders for friends and neighbors. I love Christmas and I love Christmas fabric. Here I come Joann with my coupons.

Bubby
October 30th, 2017, 08:59 AM
This year my DD will get a generous Starbucks gift card. I'm done making her quilts because she doesn't like them...., so okay, fine, got it. My Grands prefer $$. I plan to make a candle mat for our tenant who mows for us and one for our neighbors. I may make one for my new quilter Patty. Other than this, just a few little things like mug rugs, key fobs, etc. The young man we hire to help us with heavy work asked me if I would make him his own loaf of zucchini bread for Christmas. He also reminded me that he will graduate in May and that the perfect gift for him would be zucchini bread. I think some microwave bowl holders would be nice to have on hand.

K. McEuen
October 30th, 2017, 09:13 AM
I don't know about anyone e else, but I am really liking Barb's zucchini bread guy.

Carolyn
October 30th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Embroidery items are high on my list this year. Pillowcases, and a tote for my best friend, shirts for my GS, some lace items as card inserts also. Maybe a couple of table runners. Also one sewing machine cover for SIL.

Star lover
October 30th, 2017, 09:45 AM
I don't know about anyone e else, but I am really liking Barb's zucchini bread guy.

I'm likin the easy to please guy.....and the zucchini bread!

No special plans to sew anything for Christmas....now. I've got something on the back burner.....just in case!

Anitamae56
October 30th, 2017, 09:49 AM
Just now finishing a Christmas quilt ready to take to long arm quilter. I mostly give $$. I like to make key fobs and microwave bowls, and few years ago I made Christmas jam for friends it went over very well, and have had request for it, may make it again. The recipe is in allrecipe .com , it uses strawberries and cranberries. My grandson and girlfriend just bought a townhouse I am thinking of getting them one of those doorbell cameras, I have never lived in a place where there is so many places that close, and I kind of worry about them.
I need some other ideas , so will be watching to see what others will be doing. Have a good day.

Carlie Wolf
October 30th, 2017, 10:23 AM
I've only been quilting for about the last three years. So the first year it was Jenny's Totes and zipper pouches. Then I did a matching kitchen runner and potholders, last year they all got lap quilts with their pets on it and this year will be matching bowl cozies with potato zapper.

Claire Hallman
October 30th, 2017, 10:48 AM
I pulled out some fabric just yesterday to make microwave bowl holders. I watched a youtube video on how to do them but think I will put a twist on mine by rounding the corners a bit. I am also making a bed runner for my BIL but most of the blocks are done. Hope to get that together either this or next week.
We may end up helping my DS and DIL plus the grands move to Orlando at Christmas time. My DS is there already started a new job two weeks ago.
We are traveling from 11/30 through 12/17 so my sewing time will be severely limited.

quiltingaway
October 30th, 2017, 12:53 PM
This year my DD will get a generous Starbucks gift card. I'm done making her quilts because she doesn't like them...., so okay, fine, got it. My Grands prefer $$. I plan to make a candle mat for our tenant who mows for us and one for our neighbors. I may make one for my new quilter Patty. Other than this, just a few little things like mug rugs, key fobs, etc. The young man we hire to help us with heavy work asked me if I would make him his own loaf of zucchini bread for Christmas. He also reminded me that he will graduate in May and that the perfect gift for him would be zucchini bread. I think some microwave bowl holders would be nice to have on hand.

You gotta love someone who just wants a loaf of your homemade zucchini bread!

quiltingaway
October 30th, 2017, 01:06 PM
I'm making several Lazy Girl Design Run Around Bags. They are quick and easy to make, just require a couple fat quarters and a zipper. They are kind of a little cross body bag that are great for when you don't want to pack a big bag. Quilt shows, Christmas shopping, etc. They are great for flying and you want to keep your boarding pass and ID close at hand. They are great for teens. Just a handy little bag. And if you're like me you have some fat quarters hanging around :)

meliswan
October 30th, 2017, 01:43 PM

Maybe we will all get zucchini bread! Or at least the recipe.......

KPH
October 30th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Napkins, placemats, cloth books and pillow cases for the grands. I'm going to make some of those neat microwave bowl cozies to have just in case. Both boys want new quilts, I'm seriously thinking they'll get fabric this year at Christmas and quilts next year for Christmas!

I have a bunch of Christmas flannels I need to pull out. I don't think anything really plays well together. I'm hoping to find some solids or small prints that may bring them together. I think Nana and Nandy would like something like that for the kids to use at their house.

LLLinda
October 30th, 2017, 04:24 PM
LAURAP i actually prefer money and not a gift card to some place I normally don't shop. My grandkids and kids do too. If they want me to make them something they know all they have yo do is ask.

JCY
October 30th, 2017, 07:26 PM
So far, I'm making no sewn Christmas items. I plan to make for myself a table runner from the Christmas Anne of Green Gables fabrics, mixed with fabric from my stash. I might make some place mats for a Christmas gift exchange for our Lady Bugs group Christmas party. We don't gift to our adult children, & the grand kids usually get money, because we have no idea what to get them, & they all live in other states.

cv quilter
October 30th, 2017, 09:08 PM
You know, I want to make more of the Microwave bowls and probably will. I have forty some of the Riley Blake Crayon Blocks to put into a quilt for my 1st grade teacher daughter for her classroom , some black and white napkins (promised) for my granddaughter and her hubby and I'd like to make some more FSL bookmarks for my grandchildren. I also found a really cute book carrier/cover on Craftsy for a granddaughter who loves to read. Have a week long retreat to attend in 13 days and will see if I can finish all of these in the time between getting home and Christmas....maybe I'll get luck enough to get some of these done before I leave. I've been working on a OBW quilt, have not gotten any further than cutting the triangles and will take them to the retreat and hope to get some progress on that.

redcaboose1717
October 30th, 2017, 09:10 PM
I have given a set of Pillowcases and a gift card for so long, , in 2015, I made everyone something else....and many of them were shocked and surprised ! They weren't unhappy of course, but this year I went BACK to the pillowcases ( 2) ....I normally give the 55+(Senior) friends of mine a set of Pillowcases and a 2/$6 gift certificate to Subway, or a $10 gift certificate to Bob Evans....and sometimes I give a gift certificate to a local restaurant to people with a set of pillowcases.

I have made walker bags ( the kind that you put on the front of a walkers etc.
1.https://youtu.be/zqfmuXQ_moc
Candy Dish made with Mod Poge /MSQC tutorial:
https://youtu.be/ehJhHl2v6Ow
I make Pot Holders and Oven Mitts Crafty Gemini :
https://youtu.be/JtS5itzH9tk
1 make some of those zipper pouches ( From Jenny's tutorial )
https://youtu.be/ehdNBYnFsAw
I make those little change holders (they look like sour cream containers)
https://youtu.be/cXZ6BTEnPE4
Cloth Baskets By Crafty Gemini
1. https://youtu.be/0f6gpIw9p_Y
2.https://youtu.be/k9WUYyLHpw8

Here's how to make your own Mod Podge !
https://youtu.be/T_Tz_0gx4Vk

CraftyBarb
October 30th, 2017, 09:35 PM
I am working on the christmas zig zag runner which will be for me. We do not exchange gifts anymore in my family...we only do for the little ones. It was getting to be to much trying to figure out what to get for the adults. Some don't like gift cards. I would much rather get a gift card then a gift I have to return. So we just stopped doing the exchange. Which was fine by me.

kimsophia
October 31st, 2017, 09:25 PM
I was wrestling today with getting an embroidery sampler framed straight...the linen was crooked or off center for about an hour of re-doing over and over...boy I worked up a sweat but I think I've got it in straight. The linen has some warping from the presence of the embroidery that can't be ironed or stretched out...just a slight puffiness on one side. I ordered some art "masking" tape...it seemed crazy to spend 21 bucks on a roll of tape but this project did take a ton of work. And it will look better in the back finished this way. I'm sure my cousin will love it. She has my Halloween sampler up now for the season.147375147376

kimsophia
October 31st, 2017, 09:40 PM
I was wrestling today with getting an embroidery sampler framed straight for a present...the linen was crooked or off center for about an hour of re-doing over and over...boy I worked up a sweat but I think I've got it in straight and taut. The linen has some warping from the presence of the embroidery that just can't be ironed or stretched out...just a slight puffiness on one side. I ordered some acid free art tape to finish the back...it seemed crazy to spend 21 bucks on a roll of tape but this project did take a ton of work. And it will look better in the back finished this way. I'm sure my cousin will love it. She has my Halloween sampler up now for the season.147375147376

buckeyequilter
October 31st, 2017, 10:28 PM
I have made a Thyroid Cancer Ribbon quilt, matching pillowcase and quilted ornament for my daughter. I am making a Hunter's Star quilt for DH, it is going on the frame tomorrow. I'm also making DH an attic windows wall hanging for his man cave or whatever cave he wants to hang it in. I don't know what else I might do. I did a little Christmas shopping today for other gifts.

This is my DD's quilt and the quilting and border:

147377 147378

grammaterry
November 1st, 2017, 09:54 AM
I hate the idea of gift cards. It seems like people are just exchanging cash . I give you $50 and you give me $50. We put it on a gift card and then the store says, well , "you have $1.05 left, and you forget it and they win.
About 4 years ago, I made all the GC's a bag with 3 zippers and each year I give them something to put in the old bag. The boys have real tools (screw drivers, wrenches, compasses, fire starters, tape measures....you get the idea) and the girls have compasses, firestarters, hole punches, staplers, doll clothes, ...whatever their interests are. DD says that her son (age 12) keeps about 20 lbs of stuff in his (lol) and he takes it everywhere.

MaryUK
November 1st, 2017, 09:36 PM
I have a Christmas quilt for DD, just needs to be sandwiched and quilted. I am also part way through a quilt for DGS, again it needs sandwiching and quilting.
I have nearly finished knitting a cardigan for DD, it just needs sewing up and a collar to knit.
Have a panel to make an attic window for DH but he wants it as a lap quilt - doubt I will get it done for this Christmas. I'll probably get it started in January, no sense in trying to achieve the impossible!!
I have a couple of lap toppers in Christmas fabrics for our use so will try to get those finished. I am a basic quilter so they shouldn't take long.
I fancy having a go with the microwave holders but we'll see!

Cathy F
November 2nd, 2017, 12:27 AM
I made an orange peel quilt for my son and daughter-in-law. I give the grandkids money but usually make them a special handmade gift from just me but this year have no ideas what to make. Last year the three of them received full size quilts from me gifted in a matching fabric basket for their room.

jjkaiser
November 2nd, 2017, 12:50 AM
Although I love Christmas I almost dread it every year it is harder and harder coming up with unique gift ideas. The gk are easy I have three gd under age 6.I am making one of my daughter's a quilt, it is almost done being quilted and I should have the binding on by Thanksgiving. It's the significant others, the guys, who I never have a clue what to get!! They are not the type that would even want a lap quilt and I think guys are just harder to buy for anyway. I used to shy away from gift cards. Then I received a few myself and thought, "This is nice actually. I can buy whatever I want." I think Amazon gift cards are good. I used to feel guilty buying gift cards but not any more.

grammaterry
November 2nd, 2017, 07:23 AM
My grown children suggested that each of us make a list of things that we are interested in and make an email go round. The 2nd dd started it and really made a list with specific items...books she would read, cookbooks she liked, brand name casserole dishes etc. I asked my son (the hard one to find something for) if he was making a list and he said, "heck no" last year I got a really cool custom made cam shaft lamp that I didn't even know could be made and wouldn't have had on a list. I love the surprise...I have enough money to buy anything I really want but the surprises are what Christmas is about". So...off to think about what would make a guy like that happy....maybe zucchini bread.

Carol336
November 2nd, 2017, 07:34 AM

Same here....wondering if he's gonna share that zucchini bread - LOL