PDA

View Full Version : What are you going to do? "nothing"as of 3:31 pm est

grammaterry
October 27th, 2017, 10:17 PM
At 3:31 est , I retired officially from the restaurant business. The building and business were recorded in someone elses name and I became the mortgage holder instead of the cook. The first question people ask me is "what are you going to do?"" I answer, nothing. I have no idea. I am wondering aimlessly around my property wondering where I will put this and look how dirty that has become and that needs fixin' and then, I go to my sanctuary which has since been loaded down with the burden of too much stuff to put away and I sew for a bit and then I go back in the house and I notice that the glasses in the china cubboard haven't been washed in 10 years and I do that, and then I call someone and they congratulate me and then I go back to the sewing room and make another block. I think I will go to DD's tomorrow and escape from the visual and maybe get in the swing of this retirement thing. I haven't not worked since 1966 with the exception of time off to produce 4 children.
DH is pretty emotional. When he tells someone he tears up. HE says he will miss the people. He was front of the house and had a lot more personal contact than me, in the kitchen.
My focus on sewing is slight. I can't figure how I produced quilts so quicky this past year. I have one under contract and it looks like months in the making right now. I am flittering.
but...oh how relieved, happy, elated, released, I feel.
More time....less hurry....slow down...life is passing quickly....God is good
Thank you all so much for being my friends. You have been a Godsend for me these past few years.

Cokie
October 27th, 2017, 10:29 PM
Congratulations on your new beginning. You can make it whatever you want it to be...and you don't have to decide today. Take time to enjoy.

Hulamoon
October 27th, 2017, 10:31 PM
Ahh, it's sad and happy at the same time. What I would do is purge first. I'm in the middle of that right now. When it's all cleaned up you will feel a million times better!

Kgrammiecaz
October 27th, 2017, 10:38 PM
Congrats. Enjoy every minute. Bask in it.

LLLinda
October 27th, 2017, 11:08 PM
Been there. Are you starting one thing, then jumping to another before the first is finished? Do you feel unsettled, want to do something but don't know what.? Nothing sound good. Well congratulations! You're doing it the way everyone else does. In 6 months or so you will be able to stay in bed past your usual alarm time but not by much. You and your DH may get on each others nerves even more than usual. Congratulations again! In a year you may decide you want a part time job. Give it a shot. It took me three times to retire before I got it right. I still would like more alone time without DH always around. He may feel the same way. I handle it by constantly having projects and plans. the good thing is if you don't get it all done there is always tomorrow. You WILL handle it.

redcaboose1717
October 27th, 2017, 11:15 PM
Congrats on your retirement Terry......I know exactly how you feel, my parents purchased a restaurant ( for a retirement investment ....( shame on them! ) and well, when they sold it under contract the first time, they got it back about 24 months later.....and then my sister came home and re-opened it ( it wasn't closed for more than a week I think ) and asked my younger sister & I to help out when we could....grrrrr.....I love my oldest sister VERY Much ...but had she asked me to help her "NOW" I would tell her no.....Anyway, she ran the restaurant for almost 20 yrs until she had a brain aneurysm, and my youngest sister stepped in, fired me and within two years after taking it over, the business closed.
So, I guess you could say I have a really bad taste in my mouth for restaurant owning......Although I feel bad that the restaurant closed due to issues my sister"Sam" had ( she just isn't good with the public, and neither was her youngest daughter, which caused the restaurant revenue to go WAY down......and eventually the restaurant was closed. It was a thriving business when my parents had it, and when my oldest sister Skip took over, it was a THRIVING business.....on Fridays there was standing room only ( she was only open 5 am-2 pm during the week, and was open 5 am to 8 pm on the weekends ) ....so it really tore at my heart to see a thriving business go down the tubes simply because someone wouldn't admit that they weren't good with the public or running a restaurant. I don't know how many calls I got at home in the 2 yrs my youngest sister "Sam" ran it .....people who were regular / devoted customers actually would call my home telling me horrid stories about the terrible service or worse yet the horrible meals they were served. I used to laugh after the customers called me at home....simply because I couldn't do a darn thing about what was going on. My oldest sister was in no condition to step back in, and I wasn't willing to even try. ( I have enough medical issues that it just wasn't feasible for me to take it over ! )

But....Congrats on your retirement......it takes awhile to get used to not going in early, making homemade specials, and worst of all, I missed all the regular customers, some were like family !
Soon you will start to enjoy not having all the work to do that a restaurant entails....and that's probably when you are going to start doing things you have put off for soooo long ! I know that I ( even though I didn't own the restaurant ) wandered around the house for a few weeks not realizing how much I would be able to do now that I didn't have to help the family with that stupid restaurant. I sometimes "smile" thinking back to how easily I was brought in to help my big sis.....first it was making new menus for her on the computer, then it was making soups for her ( I am an awesome soup maker ) ...and pretty soon I was going in helping with tasks that my sister couldn't get to....and oh, one of my HATED jobs was to fire employees that weren't working out. My sister "SKIP" was / is a big softy and had trouble firing people....LOL +!

Again, take care.....take a BIG SIGH.....and ENJOY life now ! :)

Spring Bird
October 27th, 2017, 11:16 PM
It is a new season for you and your DH. Running a restaurant is no small challenge. Take time to breathe and then you will remember how you accomplished sew much.

Grey Lady
October 27th, 2017, 11:21 PM
You are just embarking on a wonderful journey. Who knows where the winds will take you? New ideas, adventures, friends, lessons taken and advice given. Enjoy it all! I started my adventure this summer. It's scary, a little stressful, and it's all New. I hope to hear your stories.

Diana

cv quilter
October 27th, 2017, 11:27 PM
Terry, as you say, God is Good. Congratulations on your official retirement. You have all kinds of time to adjust and decide what to do with your time....first things first...relax and just enjoy. Take your time and just try to take it all in. I'm so happy for you.

KarenC
October 27th, 2017, 11:36 PM
Congratulations Terry. I have no doubt you will figure it out, but just take your time. I've been retired 6 weeks now. I'm slowing getting into the groove. First week, didn't do much. I have learned to sleep till 7 most days (much better than 5:30). I started making a list of things I needed to do, just so I could remember. It also feels good to mark them off as I do them. Some were small projects that I've been putting off for months. It's especially nice when someone tells me something about the drama at the office, and I can be thankful I'm not there anymore. If it weren't for babysitting my new GD, I'd probably be looking for something part-time.

KPH
October 28th, 2017, 12:04 AM
God is good! Congratulations on your retirement. It's the best time of life. You get to make your choices! Best wishes for you as you open the doors to your new journey into retirement!

laura44
October 28th, 2017, 12:11 AM
Congratulations!!! Right now you don't have to "do" anything,
Eventually you will find your new normal. Enjoy, you earned it!!!

jjkaiser
October 28th, 2017, 12:56 AM
Congratulations, you have worked so hard now it's time to enjoy life a little and slow the heck down! Sure you might feel a little overwhelmed at first but not for long. Remember when your kids started school and the first week you would look at the clock about a thousand times waiting for the bell to ring and time to go pick them up. Then a month later, seems like you are pushing them out the door with their lunches one minute, and bam suddenly it is already 3:30 and time to go get them, and you have barely glanced at the clock all day! So just a matter of getting used to your new normal life. I can imagine the weight off your shoulders cause running a restaurant is a 7-day a week job with hardly any down time. Enjoy!!

JCY
October 28th, 2017, 01:12 AM
Woo hoo! It's official! So happy for you. When I retired from nursing at the hosp., someone asked me how long it took to adjust. I said maybe a month. I did not miss work at all! I've heard so many people say in their retirement years, "I'm busier now than ever. I don't know how I used to have time to work." Try to wind down a bit, learn to relax, then enjoy your quilting, working in the yard, doing stuff around the house, whatever. Don't try to accomplish a whole lot all at once. A little here, there a little. Take each day as it comes.

Simply Quilting
October 28th, 2017, 01:14 AM
Congratulations on your retirement!! Enjoy :)

Lori63
October 28th, 2017, 01:28 AM
Congrats! Glad to hear the sale went through. You've gotten lots of good advice. Now just let yourself breathe and relax. You can decide in a few days, weeks or months what you want to do!

Jean Sewing Machine
October 28th, 2017, 01:44 AM
When I retired from a teaching job ( not really ready to do it, but had to take care of my sick husband), I resorted to using my teacher's plan book to write down what I should/could have/had to accomplish each day. Helped me to get motivated each day to at least accomplish one productive thing! Hope you find your groove and enjoy retirement!

Debbie Watters
October 28th, 2017, 03:05 AM
Take a breathe and enjoy your new adventure! Congratulations to you and your DH!

Monique
October 28th, 2017, 05:56 AM
Congratulations Terry. Rome wasn't built in a day you know. Take time to breath and everything will fall into place. It will take a while to get yourself into a new routine.

MHG Winnower
October 28th, 2017, 06:33 AM
God created the entire universe and retired after 6 days (pls folks, no offense meant). It only took you a couple more years than that but you finally made it! It will be a bit hard to adjust to not being on constant call. You are such a dynamo! Right now you probably are a bit overwhelmed. Congratulations!

Iris Girl
October 28th, 2017, 06:57 AM
Congratulations on your retirement! You will find a new normal soon enough and be busy again. Only this time with what you want and when you want.

Star lover
October 28th, 2017, 07:04 AM
Not only is God good.....He's GREAT! He will guide you as He has always done. There just a learning curve with all your new found time.....and stuff! Congratulations on your retirement, the release and the joy! So happy for you and thankful all worked out so well. You'll figure out what works for you and accomplish everything in due time. For now, just enjoy the peace and the wonder of it all.....ain't IT grand?!!

Cyndie
October 28th, 2017, 07:46 AM
Congratulations, Terry and Hubby! I won't be able to retire for a couple of years but I recently read 2 good books about retirement. One is about the financial aspects: How to Retire the Cheapskate Way by Jeff Yeager which I thought was interesting, but the one I really liked and which might be more beneficial for you is How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free by Ernie J. Zelinski. This deals with some of the things you are dealing with. I wish you much joy and contentment! Cyndie

MRoy
October 28th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Congratulations! It takes time to adjust to retirement, but you'll be fine. I never missed the work, but I still miss my old work family. I waited 3 years before returning to part-time work from home. Some days, when it's hectic, I wish I hadn't returned to work at all, but I'll do it for awhile longer.

Bubby
October 28th, 2017, 07:59 AM

Congratulations on your well-deserved retirement. I have been retired for 9 years. It took me about 3 months to be able to exhale and relax into my newfound freedom. This is a beautiful chapter of your lives...enjoy each other and the luxury of your time belonging to you. Hugs....

Cathy F
October 28th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Congratulations on being officially retired!

Rhonda K
October 28th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Congratulations!

Time to relax and do what makes you happy. Enjoy that transition. You will find your sunshine again!

Anitamae56
October 28th, 2017, 10:40 AM
So glad for you, yes it is going to take a LOT of adjusting, you will have some rough and good days at first , but gradually it will fall in place. I am thinking of you in this new step in your life!!
CONGRATULATIONS!

pcbatiks
October 28th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Congratulations Terry!

You may need a few days or weeks for your nerves to settle down. It's been a hectic time for you & your DH. Find a fun sewing project to work on to help you jump back into quilting........think of it quilting any time you want to! :D

Enjoy a more relaxed pace. Wishing you and your DH days filled with fun time together!

Patty J
October 28th, 2017, 05:47 PM
Let me add my congratulations on your retirement. The one thing I did when I retired was to try and do all the housework that I had neglected in the first week. Dumb. I was more stressed at home than when I was a nurse and had to be on top of everything all the time. Those glasses you washed could have waited a few more days, what would it hurt? Take time, do things for a short time--couple of hours--then do something fun, go for a walk, take a nap, go to the library and get a good book (not a cookbook, LOL) Then you will have a routine and a purpose. Please take care of yourself and give yourself the gift of time. You deserve it.

chelea
October 28th, 2017, 10:26 PM
I retired from nursing this past February. I was a salaried workaholic averaging about 60 hours a week. When your life is going that fast it's hard to stop. The question I got asked over and over again was "what are you going to DO?" I thought that was the point of retiring...to stop all that DOING!
Thankfully I had a housekeeper while I was working, but my closets and drawers were out of control, not having been looked through for about 8 years. For Christmas I had received the book "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" by Marie Kando. So using that method I did a few drawers or a closet per day and in a few weeks I had gone through every nook and cranny in the house. Boy did that feel great! I did a big spring cleaning (and had to bid goodbye to the housekeeper). Then when the weather turned nice I turned my attention to the yard, specifically to the overgrown flower beds. Took a few weeks but got that under control too. All my nervous energy in the beginning got channeled into something positive. It took a while to get into a daily routine. Funny thing, but I didn't get back to my sewing room for a long time.

sewbizzy
October 28th, 2017, 10:49 PM
Congratulations Terry....it's time to relax....you and your hubby deserve it!

Nwmnteacher
October 29th, 2017, 09:34 AM
Retirement can be an "interesting" transition in life. I wondered, "How did I get here so fast?" I retired from 38 years of teaching a little more than 4 years ago, and I still wonder how it happened so quickly. Didn't I just start teaching a couple of years ago? :-) I took my first quilting class the fall after retirement, and that opened a whole new world for me. About 6 months later I was in JoAnns for some fabric, and I got the bright idea to apply for a part time job there. Three and a half years later and I'm still working there, 2-3 days a week, and really enjoying it. I love helping people with their sewing and crafting projects, and yes, the men with the "deer in the headlights" look needing a spool of thread :-) The gals who work with me have become my friends, and I've learned a lot about quilting and sewing from them. You just never know where life will take you! Relax and enjoy, Terry, when the time is right a new door will open.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
October 29th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Congratulations on your retirement. Like mentioned earlier, you will go from one thing to another for the first 6-9 months. I called this my "unfocused" period. I did do a lot of cleaning and decluttering. DH had retired a year earlier, but I was much younger at 58. Due to concussions I could not continue doing the same type of work. I was okay with leaving a stressful job and work environment, but took a large penalty for taking early retirement. That was 4 years ago, and our kids have produced 5 grandkids to fill our time. Although, babysitting can be exhausting. dH and I both took up quilting about 2 1/2 years ago, and we love it. Although I am a faster pieces and quilter, DH shares his time with hobbies he has waiting 'til retirement to do - serious train building room, stonework in yard and more volunteering at the sailing club. It's all good. You will find your groove, and accept that sometimes you need different levels of being in public. If your DH loves the contact, I am certain he can do some volunteering in many seniors clubs. Volunteers are always in demand. Enjoy.

Snip Snip
October 31st, 2017, 10:48 PM
I retired because both my parents were ill and needing my help. My time and mental energy were taken up by them for 3 years, but after Mom died, I was left with no "job" and no energy. Kind of went into a depression that hasn't really gone away completely. I would advise you and your DH both to commit yourselves to some activities pretty soon, whether it is volunteering or babysitting or visiting every state in the union.
Men who don't have hobbies to occupy their time and mind don't do well at retirement. And you sure don't want him underfoot 24/7. At least not after a little grace period.

grammaterry
November 1st, 2017, 09:43 AM
I retired because both my parents were ill and needing my help. My time and mental energy were taken up by them for 3 years, but after Mom died, I was left with no "job" and no energy. Kind of went into a depression that hasn't really gone away completely. I would advise you and your DH both to commit yourselves to some activities pretty soon, whether it is volunteering or babysitting or visiting every state in the union.
Men who don't have hobbies to occupy their time and mind don't do well at retirement. And you sure don't want him underfoot 24/7. At least not after a little grace period.
We have been a 24/7 couple for 36 years. We have always worked together. However, hobbies are a must and hunting is his passion. He has been in the woods bowhunting now everyday for a week. There is so much stuff here that needs to find places to hide and it is overwhelming. Today, I will clean the linen closet and get it organized. The satalite people are coming to install the restaurant dish satalite here because the contract isn't up. That will get that group of electronics moved from the kitchen table. I left for three days and went to DD's to get away from the mess. Yesterday, I put a few more things in places that were on the kitchen counter and I woke up dreaming of cleaning out an appliance cabinet that hasn't been touched in 10 years. Probably don't need that stuff! I'd say we can stay busy for a year with no problem. We have a floor joist that is broken in a back bedroom and the house needs jacked up to replace it and then we will put in a new floor and it needs windows. Good thing DH is handy. Little at a time I guess. The front porch is loaded down with all the animal heads that were mounted thru the years and have been hanging in the restaurant. Where will they go? hummm

Star lover
November 1st, 2017, 10:17 AM
We have been a 24/7 couple for 36 years. We have always worked together. However, hobbies are a must and hunting is his passion. He has been in the woods bowhunting now everyday for a week. There is so much stuff here that needs to find places to hide and it is overwhelming. Today, I will clean the linen closet and get it organized. The front porch is loaded down with all the animal heads that were mounted thru the years and have been hanging in the restaurant. Where will they go? hummm

It's a good thing that your DH loves to hunt. I didn't retire in the technical sense, I quit. But I did the same thing. Picked 1 area at a time and worked at it, until I was happy. That was 5 years ago. Still finding spots that I'm plugging away at. I've come to realize there will always be something. But I need to ramp it up, if we ever want to move!

As for the heads.....unless your DH has a man cave, garage, you could sell them. Some folks like to hang up one over the fireplace or in a den, etc. otherwise is there a lodge of sorts that might like to decorate with them? Just thinking.....enjoy the freedom, but don't try to do everything at one time.....I tried at first and overloaded. Thus 1 spot/thing at a time. It that's me. Do what works for you and your DH. Hugs!

grammaterry
November 1st, 2017, 07:34 PM
A lot got done today. I started with things that just needed cleaning. I scrubbed the bathroom top to bottom and found that the lights all needed washing and the chrome polished. Folded the towels and got it looking good. Then moved to my bedroom and cleaned the linen closet, folded sheets and pillow cases and organized. Then My closet. Did the summer to winter exchange. Took everything out and washed the shelves AND threw away ruthlessly. Then to a kitchen cubboard...Much better. I'm starting to feel like we don't live in a filthy pigsty.

It's a good thing that your DH loves to hunt. I didn't retire in the technical sense, I quit. But I did the same thing. Picked 1 area at a time and worked at it, until I was happy. That was 5 years ago. Still finding spots that I'm plugging away at. I've come to realize there will always be something. But I need to ramp it up, if we ever want to move!

As for the heads.....unless your DH has a man cave, garage, you could sell them. Some folks like to hang up one over the fireplace or in a den, etc. otherwise is there a lodge of sorts that might like to decorate with them? Just thinking.....enjoy the freedom, but don't try to do everything at one time.....I tried at first and overloaded. Thus 1 spot/thing at a time. It that's me. Do what works for you and your DH. Hugs!

Mom23
November 1st, 2017, 11:23 PM
Keep going Terry. It won't be long and you will have all your "chores" complete and you will feel like sewing.

You and your husband remind me a lot of us. We've been married 34 years, he's a hunter and I'm a quilter. We own a business but hubby does the labor and I do the bookwork. Neither of us are ready for retirement, yet. Our basement is full of different animal mounts. As long as they stay downstairs I'm ok with it.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on how you are doing. It won't be long and you will settle into a routine.

A lot got done today. I started with things that just needed cleaning. I scrubbed the bathroom top to bottom and found that the lights all needed washing and the chrome polished. Folded the towels and got it looking good. Then moved to my bedroom and cleaned the linen closet, folded sheets and pillow cases and organized. Then My closet. Did the summer to winter exchange. Took everything out and washed the shelves AND threw away ruthlessly. Then to a kitchen cubboard...Much better. I'm starting to feel like we don't live in a filthy pigsty.

Ginny B
November 2nd, 2017, 12:09 AM
I've been away for a few days and I'm just catching up here. Congratulations Terry on your official retirement. I am sure you will get yourself into a groove soon. Actually it sounds like you have been accomplishing a lot. It looks like what you experienced the first few days was the same as a lot of others did when they retired. I am paying close attention because I am hoping to retire sometime around mid-2018. Being away for the last 5 days felt so good and I was thinking as we were driving home that I would like to be going home and not have to go to the office tomorrow.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

grammaterry
November 2nd, 2017, 07:31 AM
It is amazing the similarities of all of us. Its only been a week and it feels like its starting to be natural. And this all started with our first vacation in 10 years. We really had a great time...and on the way home we got a text of someone that was interested in buying the restaurant and lo and behold...42 days later...felt like a year...we did it. We are getting up in the dark (5am) and life seems to be good. DH has headed out to look for the elusive deer with his bow and the bird thinks we are finally on her wake up schedule. Today, I will work on that commissioned quilt. I told him I would have it done by Thanksgiving and at the rate I'm going, it isn't going to happen. Amazing how I've slowed down and it isn't even stressing me out.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.[/QUOTE]