PDA

View Full Version : How to get more fabric in your suitcase

farmgirlretired
October 26th, 2017, 02:01 PM
From Quiltwoman-
If you are traveling to quilt shops or market here is a neat trick to get more fabric in your suitcase.
Only take your old clothes and then... before leaving find the a Salvation Army donation bin at the hotel and pitch everything below.
Here is a handy planning chart you can take to the show:

1 pr. bikini panties = 1 fat quarter
1 pr. granny panties = 3 fat quarters
1 bra A-C cup = 1 fat quarter
1 bra D+ cup = 2 fat quarters
1 pr. socks = 1 fat quarter
1 t-shirt Sm.-Lg. = 3 fat quarters
1 t-shirt XL+ = 1 yd.
1 pr. jeans/sweatpants = 2-3 yds.

Caroline T.
October 26th, 2017, 03:34 PM
When I flew home for my Mother's funeral several years ago I knew there would be plenty of fabric, notions, and UFOs to bring back with me, so I just packed a small (carry on size) suitcase with the clothes & toiletries that I would need, then put that suitcase inside another larger suitcase. Of course I had to check that bag, but I was OK with that. Then for my trip home, the big suitcase was packed (and I do mean PACKED - just under 50 lbs) with just Mom's UFOs. Checked the big suitcase, and carried on the small one.

Now my sister is holding hostage all the other fabrics, refusing to mail them to me, she says I need to come for a visit to get another bag full. Probably would be cheaper to pay the airfare than to buy that much fabric.

PrettyCurious
October 26th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Funny, but Yer doin it wrong.
A bra costs much more than a fQ - not to mention spoending the better part of a day finding one that fits right.
Before you go, set up an account at USPS.com.
After you leave the fabric shop, go to the nearest post office and get some FREE priority boxes. If you are traveling to zone 6,7 or 8, get the flat rate ones. Otherwise get the regular priority boxes [priced by distance and weight]. Then stuff your boxes to the gills, pay for the postage online [saves a couple $ or a FQ], if you have a scale or a flat rate box, and drop them off or have them picked up, and shipped to your house.
Your treats will arrive after you've unpacked and rested up from your trip, when you can really enjoy them!

cv quilter
October 26th, 2017, 07:16 PM
I'm soon leaving for a quilt retreat (2 weeks) and am going to be flying and taking luggage. I have been trying to figure a way to take a carry on and a medium sized suitcase. I LOVE these posts....I have an expandable medium suitcase...if I pack the carry on, put inside the expandable medium, pack other things (clothing, necessities) around the carry on and check the whole thing, I will only have a small tote to carry on. Then, when we make our "LQS run", and I pack to go home, I can put all my treasures in the medium luggage, also the tote and any finished projects, and take the carry on (with any dirty laundry) with me on the plane if necessary. Actually, this sounds genius. Thanks.

Kgrammiecaz
October 26th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Brilliant - of course! - yes, I always add a small suitcase inside my larger one when I am going somewhere I can shop.

grammaterry
October 26th, 2017, 10:31 PM
I am laughing because I can't imagine needing more fabric right now. Let alone shopping for it on vacation?

JCY
October 26th, 2017, 10:55 PM
When I first started quilting, I bought much of my fabric at Wal-Mart. (I didn't want to learn on the expensive LSQ fabric.) I was told by a store employee that a lady from the UK used to come over to the States to visit & always brought an empty suitcase just for fabric, because it's so much cheaper here. She'd stocked up on fabric at W-M. When My son & DIL go to Holland to visit relatives, they always take an extra suitcase to bring back goodies like cheese, Dutch chocolate & candy, spice mixes, etc. that they can get only over there. When I went to Holland back in 1990 at the time of their wedding, I bought a beautiful oil painting at the open market in the city square. I made room for it in the bottom of my suitcase & packed around it. It hangs on our LR wall.

cv quilter
October 26th, 2017, 10:59 PM
I am laughing because I can't imagine needing more fabric right now. Let alone shopping for it on vacation? LOL, I know what you mean...but when the trip is a quilt retreat and they ALWAYS visit LWSs...what's a girl to do?? When in Rome?....:)

Spring Bird
October 26th, 2017, 11:08 PM
address the package to yourself, but if you need a cover story put a friends name and address on the from label. you just don't need spouses and other curious folks asking too many questions!

SuzyQue
October 26th, 2017, 11:15 PM
I do the opposite with luggage when visiting my grandson......take him gifts and need more luggage, then pack one suitcase inside the other for the return trip home. It seems odd, but it works.

Deegles
October 26th, 2017, 11:45 PM
I had a French teacher that planned summer trips to France for the student. She recommended bringing your oldest clothes with you. After wearing the clothes, trash them to enable purchase of French fashion that you would not have to claim at customs. Wear your old underwear and toss them making room for fabric! ��

Klasien
October 27th, 2017, 05:10 AM
When I went to the USA to visit Jean for the first time we did some shopping..........I mean we did a LOT of shopping :)
By the time I had to go back home there was no way to get all the fabric in my suitcase.
So I mailed al my clothes home and filled my suitcase with fabric......haha
Last visit this spring, I checked a second suitcase Jean gave to me to use, I had fabrics and more fabrics and my 365 quilt that was only a top when I flew in.
We will be in USA this christmas and new year (California) but I think I will be good and not buy that much fabric again.............(I think ;). )

Star lover
October 27th, 2017, 07:02 AM
What a hoot! Since I never fly...NEVER....no worries here. But y'all are making me laugh at the visuals!

kjohnson
October 27th, 2017, 03:40 PM
This is hilarious. I never even thought about it because I usually just buy fabric around home. Great ideas though!

TMP
October 27th, 2017, 04:01 PM
I can't think of a more fun vacation than shopping for fabric. I love the idea of wearing old clothes and throwing them away to make room for fabric . Genius !

lots2do
December 2nd, 2017, 11:45 PM
I have loved shopping for fabric when we go back and forth between FL and New England. I've met such nice shop owners and staff. We've found beautiful places to return to and fabric I haven't seen before. I've never needed a new suitcase for it, yet.