PDA

View Full Version : Update On Dottie

Bubby
October 24th, 2017, 09:01 PM
This afternoon our vet's office called to see if Jeff and I could meet with him this afternoon at 5. I asked if they found out what's wrong with Dottie and I was told yes, but Tom wanted to be the one to tell us.

Dottie has congestive heart disease. Her heart is quite enlarged and it's pressing on her airway and causing her to have trouble breathing. This can be treated to an extent, but she will have to be on medications the rest of her life. Tom said she may live 1-2 years if all goes well. We are saddened by this diagnosis but we will do everything we can to care for her and keep on loving her. She may begin to breathe better in 3-4 days but they sent her home with us because she cried all day at top volume and wouldn't eat anything for them.

Thanks to everyone who took time to pray for Dottie and us....you are such a special, caring group of friends.

Hugs, Barb, Jeff and Dottie

KPH
October 24th, 2017, 09:14 PM
Bless her heart. Thanks for the update, prayers will still be lifted.

MRoy
October 24th, 2017, 09:26 PM
I'm sorry the news wasn't better but I know she'll get the best care and lots of love at home with you and Jeff.

Cokie
October 24th, 2017, 09:57 PM
I'm so sorry to read this news. I'm sure Dottie will be much happier to be home with you and Jeff. Sending a hug and prayers.

CraftyJnet
October 24th, 2017, 10:36 PM
I'm sorry the news wasn't better. She is sure to be happier at home with you two.

JCY
October 24th, 2017, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the update, Barb. I find it interesting that pets get so many of our "people" diseases -- cancer, diabetes, CHF, etc. I hope Dottie will start eating now that she's home with you. The medicine certainly will help. Enjoy your time with her.

jjkaiser
October 24th, 2017, 10:40 PM
I am sad for you that the vet did not have more reassuring news, I know how upset you are by this turn of events. This just proves that animals can be stressed out just like people. Dottie was in her own way begging to go home, I am glad that the doctor said it is okay for you to care for her at home. TLC I know you have an unlimited supply of that.

Angelia
October 24th, 2017, 10:49 PM
I'm glad she is home. Thinking of all three of you.

pcbatiks
October 24th, 2017, 11:00 PM
Barb, so sorry that news about Dottie wasn't better. Hoping the medicines will make her feel better. She will be happier at home with "mom & dad." Prayers and hugs for all of you,

cv quilter
October 24th, 2017, 11:09 PM
I checked in tonight to see if any news on Dottie. I'm happy to know that she is home with you but very sorry to hear the diagnosis. I know from reading all your previous posts how much you love your little girl, so know that you will do all you can to love her and make her comfortable. We struggle with our little Cavalier, too, so I understand your concern. I pray that Dottie will continue to improve and breathe easier every day. Sending warm thoughts and prayers your way.

Annababy
October 24th, 2017, 11:41 PM
I will add Dottie, you and your husband to my list. I do understand; we found out yesterday that our standard poodle, Jackson has heartworms. Evidently the horrible parasites are becoming resistant to some preventative medications. We began treatment on the spot, but it is a 6 month process with no guarantees that he will be cured or live through treatment.

My prayers will include all of us and our beloved fur babies. May God shine his healing hand upon them.
Annalee

Snip Snip
October 24th, 2017, 11:51 PM
I hope her medicine helps with the breathing and lets her feel better. Hugs to all of you.

Simply Quilting
October 25th, 2017, 12:07 AM
Aww poor girl. As hard as the diagnosis is, I am thankful that it is treatable and she is able to be home with you. Praying that she exceeds the time the vet said as she is very much loved.

JaniceR
October 25th, 2017, 12:11 AM
I will add Dottie, you and your husband to my list. I do understand; we found out yesterday that our standard poodle, Jackson has heartworms. Evidently the horrible parasites are becoming resistant to some preventative medications. We began treatment on the spot, but it is a 6 month process with no guarantees that he will be cured or live through treatment.

My prayers will include all of us and our beloved fur babies. May God shine his healing hand upon them.
Annalee

I am so sorry about your beloved Jackson and hope and pray he gets well!

JaniceR
October 25th, 2017, 12:19 AM
Barb, Iím so sorry the news was not good about Dottie. I know your hearts are breaking about it. She is so blessed to have you and Jeff for her family and I know that you will give her all the love her sweet heart can hold and will give her the best possible care in the world.

Itís so obvious how loved she feels when she tells the Vet so vocally that she wants to go home and be with her family! Prayers for all three of you.

redcaboose1717
October 25th, 2017, 12:49 AM
This afternoon our vet's office called to see if Jeff and I could meet with him this afternoon at 5. I asked if they found out what's wrong with Dottie and I was told yes, but Tom wanted to be the one to tell us.

Dottie has congestive heart disease. Her heart is quite enlarged and it's pressing on her airway and causing her to have trouble breathing. This can be treated to an extent, but she will have to be on medications the rest of her life. Tom said she may live 1-2 years if all goes well. We are saddened by this diagnosis but we will do everything we can to care for her and keep on loving her. She may begin to breathe better in 3-4 days but they sent her home with us because she cried all day at top volume and wouldn't eat anything for them.

Thanks to everyone who took time to pray for Dottie and us....you are such a special, caring group of friends.

Hugs, Barb, Jeff and Dottie

Poor Dottie....hopefully now that she is home and being loved and cared for she will get to feeling somewhat better with the medications etc. Animals like people, do much better at home than in the hospital. Years ago, my cat "Buffy" ( he passed in 2014) had to be hospitalized and the vet told us after about 30 hours that he felt that Buffy was so distressed by not being home with me that it was felt that Buffy would get much better at home, rather than be kept at the clinic ( he was supposed to be there 5 days) . So, for 3-4 days I was sitting in my Lazy Boy rocker/recliner with Buffy on my lap with a heating pad.....Buffy was so happy and content to be home.....although when it was time for me to go to bed that night, I laid Buffy in the recliner and he began to make a HUGE fuss, meowing and "crying" so much that I decided to sleep in the recliner that night, and well, I continued to sit with Buffy on my lap in the recliner for those 3-4 days, and I even slept in the recliner with him on my chest.
I really get attached ( well who doesn't ??? ) to my animals and will do anything to keep them happy and comfy.....

Dottie will be much happier at home, knowing she is with you and everyone else !
Will continue to pray for Dottie and you !

((((( HUGS)))) for Dottie !

dwil23
October 25th, 2017, 02:06 AM
(((HUGS))) My little chihuahua has a mild case of congestive heart failure. He is doing well on meds and I pray that Dottie does too.

toggpine
October 25th, 2017, 04:10 AM
Oh no! Prayers for comfort for her and you two too.

Iris Girl
October 25th, 2017, 05:27 AM
Sending you my loving thoughts that the meds will work quickly and Dottie will be breathing easier. Hugs for you and Jeff. Being home and in the care of you will definitely make her feel better.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 25th, 2017, 06:13 AM
I hope and pray that your precious baby gets through this ok. Prayers for all of you!

Bouse
October 25th, 2017, 07:02 AM
I've missed that Dottie has been so poorly. Glad you got a diagnosis and meds to help her even if it's not the very best news. She'll feel much better at home with you both.

Star lover
October 25th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Poor thing...and so sad for you and Jeff too. Thankful they can give her something and that she's home with you....better for all of you. Hope the meds work and Dottie is feeling better soon. Hugs to all!

Ginny B
October 25th, 2017, 08:08 AM
:( So sorry to hear this news Barb. I am glad that Dottie is back at home with you and Jeff. It's the best place for her and she will do and feel so much better being there with you. I am sure the medicine will help her too. {{{{{Hugs}}}}} to all of you.

Monique
October 25th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Aw Barb not the news you wanted, I am sure. BUT you will give Dottie the very best care she can have during her time with you and Jeff. Another lucky little dog to have you both in her life.

sew-what2015
October 25th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Dottie and you and Jeff will continue to be in my prayers.

Sandy Navas
October 25th, 2017, 09:03 AM
Got you covered in continued prayer.

bubba
October 25th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Years ago, we had a dog (Pluto) who had this. They also told us one to two years, but he lived much longer than that. He was also on heart meds that MM would pick up at a people pharmacy and it was always so funny when they would call 'Pluto Metcalf' to the window!

geegeequilts
October 25th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Barb,

I know this news wasn't what you wanted to hear but I know you love her & want what's best for her. Enjoy her being home with you & Jeff but brace yourself what lies ahead. Make her comfortable & love her. I'll continue to pray for her & for Mom & Dad to be strong. Just know we who are Moms & Dads of the canine kind understand what you're going thru. And not to leave our feline, birdie, iguana and others out. We love all our babies.

Take care,
Gina

LLLinda
October 25th, 2017, 05:03 PM
This is a hard one for you for sure. Having gone through this with two dogs of my own I understand.

Tracie T
October 25th, 2017, 06:16 PM
Awww, poor pup. I'm so glad she was able to come home. I know how we are with our dog and they are family and when they get sick it is terribly heart breaking. I will continue to pray.

seaturtle
October 25th, 2017, 09:02 PM
I haven't been on here much so I missed the news that Dottie wasn't feeling well. I'm sure this is very hard for you & Jeff, but I'm thankful that there is medicine that she can take. I hope she's doing better now that she's back home with you guys. {{Hugs}}