PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Greetings!

JCY
October 21st, 2017, 11:42 AM
Good Morning ~ It looks no one else has started. We are welcoming another sunny day, but it's supposed to cooler today -- 50's -- & windy. Yest. was beautiful. It got up to 84 deg. I did more watering of the back yard. I got in about 40 min. of FMQ, then sewed together the blocks for Donna Jordan's pattern, Cutting Corners. Now I need to see if I can stretch the left over fabric to make a border.

So frustrating! More phone problems yest. Grrr! Shortly after 1 p.m. once again (3rd day this week!) we had no dial tone & no internet. This time I spoke to a tech support guy in Des Moines, Iowa. I was on the phone (thank goodness for my cell!) for 1 hr. & 10 min.! We did all sorts of trouble shooting, which included disconnecting all the phones but one. We must have at least 8 or 9 land line phones scattered around the house & garage. He had us open the phone box on the outside of the house & check that. Thankfully, DH was able to help with some of this. So, then we started plugging in the phones, one at a time, to see if there still was a dial tone & DSL signal. When we got to the LR phone, it didn't work. So, there is a problem with the wiring at that jack, maybe a defective DSL filter or jack. So for now, that phone & cord are unplugged, but all the other phones & the internet are working! Here's hoping we have no more problems. I haven't decided if I want to hire someone locally to trouble shoot that jack or have Century Link come. Their min. charge for a service call (if the problem is in the house) is $95. It might be worth the hassle just to have them come.

The guild quilt show is today. As soon as I eat breakfast, I'll be headed over there to see all the beautiful quilts--including 2 of mine! My first time ever to enter anything in a show. Jeananne Wright is doing a bed turning of her Mariko Inove quilts at 10:30 & 1:30. Jeananne is a nationally known quilt appraiser & is a member of our guild.

Claire Hallman
October 21st, 2017, 12:10 PM
Perhaps you could just do without that jack. We have done away with our house phones and it seems to be working out just fine.
Enjoy your quilt show and your Saturday.
I hope everyone enjoys their Saturday.

TMP
October 21st, 2017, 12:24 PM
It looks like its going to be a beautiful day. DG just went home. She and I had a great dinner last night and I caught up with all that's happening in her life. I had planned to spend the day with her but DD was off today and had made plans. I have been lazy lately and I need to get back to cleaning out the toy room. The grandkids really don't spend anytime playing with the toys. I think I am going to turn that room into storage for Christmas decorations. It would be nice not to have to drag it down from the attic each year.
I am working on Pat Sloan's Grandma's Kitchen Challenge. She just listed all the setting directions . I sure hope I have enough fabric for this challenge. I also have 4 quilts pieced but just can not get myself motived to quilt them. I bought Sandy a new bed. She has not had it 24 hours and its torn into shreds. My sister suggested just using old towels until she gets thru this chewing stage. Hope everyone has a good Saturday !! I am off to go clean up the dog bed mess.

KPH
October 21st, 2017, 12:48 PM
Morning All,

Joy, I hope you have a wonderful time. Phone troubles are a pain in the you know what! We've scattered our phones, but there isn't one in my sewing room. So, naturally I'm running to get the phone and most times, I should have just let it go. I do miss having who's calling come up on the TV screen since we moved and changed from Time Warner Cable. I think we're trapped in this plan for another year and a half. I can't wait to get rid of AT&T... my dad's probably rolling over in his grave, he worked for them for over 40 years.

TMP, puppies can be so destructive. DH gave me a puppy for our wedding present. She loved my cookbooks. They were on a book case that she could reach. Fiesty ripped the spines off of just about all of the cookbooks and a couple of Bibles. They really do grow out of that chewing phase. It's just seems like forever.

I finally got into my sewing room yesterday. I sandwiched all 6 placemats and quilted three. I decided to quilt each one a little differently. I started on one before we went to the fall festival at a church near the house. Everyone seems really nice, they have a lot of older members and a whole bunch of kids. So they must be doing something for every age group.

We stopped at the Thrift Shop they have first. We bought a Dora Explorer Tricycle for Esther. Can't complain, for $5. Then they had a Christmas Shoppe with many cute items. They had a photo booth, bouncy house, cake walk, cotton candy, popcorn, craft sale, and a whole bunch of other stuff! It was fun and very nice under the shade of their trees.

I'll be heading back into the sewing room this afternoon. I'm hoping to get the rest of the placemats done today.

Have a wonderful Saturday! Prayers for those in need.

Bubby
October 21st, 2017, 06:12 PM
Joy, Here are a couple thoughts regarding your phone. You can pick up a DSL filter at WalMart for about $7. Remove the old one and replace with the new one. It just takes a second. The new cordless phones just have a base that needs to be plugged into a phone jack and the extensions just plug into an ordinary electrical outlet.

I hope you have a great time at your guild show.

LauraP
October 21st, 2017, 06:16 PM
Just got back from a wedding. It was so cute! The couple is young and it was outside in the country. The bride was driven up on an ATV that was doing wheelies. The groom interrupted the minister while he was listing all the ways that they were supposed to show their love. He decided that was to many rules. But he also wrote his vows which were really touching. The bride's mom passed away three days ago from cancer so they had her recliner there to represent her. The rain held off though the wind blew. Now we are off to the reception.

redcaboose1717
October 21st, 2017, 08:05 PM
Perhaps you could just do without that jack. We have done away with our house phones and it seems to be working out just fine.
Enjoy your quilt show and your Saturday.
I hope everyone enjoys their Saturday.

I have a Lifeline Unit in our home...that is directly hooked up to the hospital's ER ....meaning if the button on my wrist is pushed, someone from Lifeline calls ( now it's from Denver, CO....not the local hospital ) to find out what help is needed(from having someone that you have on a "responder" list OR to have an ambulance etc.......That being said, I probably COULD get rid of the landline....as the Lifeline service doesn't require landline service to be hooked up in your home any longer....We really wouldn't have issues with the local 911 dispatch in our area because we have a Lifeline....so the actually need for a Landline isn't really needed here at my home.
I recently have my wireless service thru Comcast/Xfinity now....and it's great. It's a lot cheaper than Verizon Wireless OR AT&T ....and I have had both Verizon & AT&T in the past......My total bill for Xfinity/Comcast Wireless is $12 because I only use the cell phone for emergencies. If I do away with the Landline, I will get the unlimited service thru Xfinity/Comcast Wireless for $45 per month, and you can't beat that for the price, and the service is absolutely fantastic......no dropped calls etc.

JCY
October 21st, 2017, 10:24 PM
I still want to have a working phone jack in that LR spot. That's where I make most of my calls, esp. when I know I'm going to talk awhile. My recliner is there. I'm not in a rush, but I eventually want to have that jack fixed so I can have a phone by my chair. At least for now, all phones & the internet are working.