PDA

View Full Version : Here Today.....Gone Tomorrow

Star lover
October 18th, 2017, 10:51 AM
A walk down memory lane....wow! Of course for some, they'll have no idea what they're looking at, but still fun to see. Hope y'all enjoy.....

Here today, gone tomorrow and so it goes....

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/QoDXTAajEzY?rel=0

Kgrammiecaz
October 18th, 2017, 11:10 AM
I will surely watch the whole thing later, but how cool!

cv quilter
October 18th, 2017, 11:26 AM
This is wonderful....Wow! I went for that walk and I am so glad I can say I remember most of the things shown. Thank You!

Debbie Watters
October 18th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Enjoyed the walk! Remembered most of the things ... is that showing my age?

Carolyn
October 18th, 2017, 12:45 PM
Nice trip down memory lane.

Granny Fran
October 18th, 2017, 12:57 PM
Oh my, that was quite a trip!! Thanks.

Mimi_Howard
October 18th, 2017, 09:18 PM
Oh I so miss that Helms Bakery vehicle! Hmmm they were so fresh and so dang good!

redcaboose1717
October 18th, 2017, 09:44 PM
A walk down memory lane....wow! Of course for some, they'll have no idea what they're looking at, but still fun to see. Hope y'all enjoy.....

Here today, gone tomorrow and so it goes....

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/QoDXTAajEzY?rel=0

I remember a lot of those....thanks.....in fact I had to look twice at the photo of the Burger Chef...it looked like the one we had here in Jackson, MI ....

Also, here's a tidbit......My DH John who is a 3 rd generation carpenter, made all the shelves and wood decor for the Borders book stores !!! He had his own factory here in Michigan ( in Ann Arbor MI ) at the time. The factory was sold in 1988.)

Aviatrix
October 18th, 2017, 10:29 PM
Um, what's this remember business? I have ... and use ... many of the things pictured. :D The most dear to me is my Sony Walkman cassette player, which was a gift from a close friend. I still use it, and while I was teaching I made a point to use it in class because it fascinated my students.

Hulamoon
October 18th, 2017, 11:04 PM
I wish there was still payphones.

Angelia
October 18th, 2017, 11:21 PM
I still use old can openers! Poke and ratchet--no moving parts, so they never wear out. :)

JCY
October 19th, 2017, 01:00 AM
Interesting. Yes, it was a nice trip down memory lane. Thanks for sharing.

redcaboose1717
October 19th, 2017, 02:22 AM
I still use old can openers! Poke and ratchet--no moving parts, so they never wear out. :)

I still use the "old" can openers......I am working on the 2nd "hand " style can openers since I married back in 1974......I have had a couple of electric can openers, but don't care for them really. Actually the best can opener was what my DH Terry called a P 38 ....a small can opener that the GI's used when going out to the field.......I used one of those for the first 3 yrs of our marriage(we were living in Germany, my DH Terry was stationed in the Army over there ) LOL ! I think I still have one in the kitchen drawer....will have to look and see !
I still have a walkman too....but for the most part, it was neat seeing all those businesses of long ago. BTW....are there still "WHITE CASTLES ? There used to be one in Detroit MI years ago, when my parents used to go to the Boblo Boat /Boblo Island......wow, we used to love going there. ( My dad loved the boat ride ) .....Anyway, we used to stop at the White Castles just prior to going on the Boblo Boat. ( My parents said the food was too expensive to buy on the Island back then, so, we stopped at White Castle and took a huge cooler full of pinic food for the day )

Judy, USMC
October 19th, 2017, 03:19 AM
... are there still "WHITE CASTLES ?

YES ! ! ! I'm in Chicago and there is one at the corner of 63rd street & south Cicero avenue in the landing flight path of Midway airport. Have to stop ordering at times because the plane noise is so loud.

I remember 99% of what was shown. Still have many of them (inherited a houseful ... plus the house to store them in.) And even have one of the first mobile phones that wasn't shown; remember the old bag phones? OMG - I AM old.

GuitarGramma
October 19th, 2017, 03:43 AM
I wish there was still payphones.

Just tonight, DH and I heard the old Turtles song "Imagine me and you, I do ..." and there's a line in it, "If I should call you up, invest a dime ..." DH said, "Wow, our kids probably can't even imagine what that means!"

Star lover
October 19th, 2017, 07:11 AM
BTW....are there still "WHITE CASTLES ? There used to be one in Detroit MI years ago, when my parents used to go to the Boblo Boat /Boblo Island......wow, we used to love going there. ( My dad loved the boat ride ) .....Anyway, we used to stop at the White Castles just prior to going on the Boblo Boat. ( My parents said the food was too expensive to buy on the Island back then, so, we stopped at White Castle and took a huge cooler full of pinic food for the day )

Oh yeah.....lots of them still in the Detroit area....although I haven't had one in years. Figure they probably aren't good for you, but the taste is like nothing else! Makes me hungry for em....even at this hour!

Yes, so much the generations that follow will never know. So that's why I've written stories of growing up for my grandkids and those who follow. Well, actually I've written as many of the stories of grandparents, parents, etc. after interviewing them. Once they....and we are gone...who will remember?

Bubby
October 19th, 2017, 08:13 AM
I really enjoyed this, Anita. I will share it with Jeff when he gets home tonight. We were just talking about so many of the things in the video the other day.