PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Trivia

Star lover
October 17th, 2017, 07:44 AM
In honor of Jacqueline (Sugar....aka redcaboose)

Caboose: A strange word for a strange railroad car that somehow survived for more than a hundred years, from the days of oil burning lamps into the computer age. The origins of both the car and the word are surrounded as much by legend as by fact. One popular version dates the word back to a derivation of the Dutch word "kombuis," which referred to a ship's galley. Use of cabooses began in the 1830s, when railroads housed trainmen in shanties built onto boxcars or flatcars.

The earliest known printed record of "caboose" used to describe the railcar appeared in 1859 in court records in conjunction with a lawsuit filed against the New York and Harlem Railway.

Cabooses were painted red for high visability and red oxide paint was one of the cheapest to manufacture.

Monique
October 17th, 2017, 08:53 AM
COOL stuff.

lovemyavy
October 17th, 2017, 09:06 AM
I am fascinated by anything "trains". Thanks for sharing!

Sandy Navas
October 17th, 2017, 09:15 AM
Another train lover here. I've always wanted a caboose in my yard as my sewing room!

Star lover
October 17th, 2017, 09:16 AM
Another train lover here. I've always wanted a caboose in my yard as my sewing room!

Oh my gosh...that would be the coolest ......EVER!

KPH
October 17th, 2017, 09:37 AM
When my BIL started on the railroad, they had cabooses. Now, not so much. He said that he really misses them!

Carol336
October 17th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Very interesting. Love trains. Many years ago took our boys (now almost sr citizens) to the Red Caboose Motel in STrasburg PA. And trust me when I say they didn't look this good when we were there. But it didn't matter - the boys loved it. In the dining car they had something rigged up to make it feel like it was moving. I still have pictures somewhere....wonderful memories
http://www.redcaboosemotel.com/cabooses/

Cathy F
October 17th, 2017, 09:43 AM
That would be a great sewing room for sure Sandy!

Vonnie
October 17th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Very interesting! Make sure you tell Sheldon!

Debbie Watters
October 17th, 2017, 12:25 PM
My family was a railroading one. One Grandfather and Uncle were railroad detectives; the other Grandfather, 2 sons (including my Dad were switchmen/conductors on the IHB (Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad) and 1 Uncle was an engineer on the same railroad. Another Uncle worked at Inland Steel with trains and yet another Uncle worked in the office at the railroad out in Seattle. They were all freight train related jobs. Although my Dad worked for the railroad, his biggest pet peeve was getting caught by a train (and that happened often in our area)! My Dad worked for 41 years for the railroad and he loved every minute of it! He used to tell us that each day was a new experience ... he was sad when none of his sons went to work for the railroad ...

sew-what2015
October 17th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Thanks. I always look forward to the trivia you post.